For our 12 year anniversary, I though Mt. Princeton would be a wonderful place to stay. I originally booked a Hillside room a few days before arriving. Upon arrival we were checked in by a rather surly front desk attendant. We arrived at the room and after trying to make the best of it decided the the room was not remotely worth $143 per night. The Hillside Rooms are similar to a strip motel from the 1960's. Although there are upgraded linens and a rather modern sink fixture, the room was pathetic. Hideous furniture, peeling plaster walls, drapes that do not shut completely, and stained carpet. We headed back to the lodge (where you check in) and told another attendant, who was a very polite and apologetic blonde girl, that the room was unacceptable. She asked us to wait a few minutes and came back to let us know that she was able to upgrade us to a cabin, which is the only reason that I am rating the property a "2". Out of all of the resort staff we encountered, this young woman, the bartender, and the two attedants at the spa (more on this later) were the only individuals who were polite and customer service oriented. The cabin was certainly a nice upgrade with a gas fireplace and a small kitchen area with anything you would need to fix a meal. Instead of eating at the resort we went into Buena Vista and had dinner at one of the many local restaurants.
After spending Saturday exploring the local area and having dinner in Salida, we headed back to the resort and were looking forward to a nice quiet evening in the relaxation pool. We headed down to the pool around 9pm expecting it to be relatively quiet and RELAXING. Yep, you guessed it, not so much. The Spa area is absolutely beautiful with comfortable chairs, a place to get a drink, and the locker rooms are very nice. The two desk attendants were polite and welcoming. The pool water was comfortable but this was not a quiet area as advertised. Between the 14-18 year olds and the college kids who thought it was appropriate to drink beer and do hand stands underwater, it became very loud, very quickly. We waited it out thinking they would head over to the hot tubs after a bit, but unfortunately that didn't happen. As we were leaving one of the attendants asked if we had enjoyed our "soak." I made a comment that it wasn't nearly as quiet as I expected and it was crappy the let the kids take over. His comment was there had been a wedding earlier and they were just relaxing. We weren't the only adults (between 35-55) who left as the college kids and teenagers were beginning to get loud and obnoxious.
When we checked out this morning we weren't asked how our stay was, did we have a nice time, or any other number of pleasantries one is typically asked by hotel staff. Instead they processed our card and handed us the receipt. I normally don't take the time to write reviews, but the website may lead you to believe that this is a 4-star resort with wonderful service and amenities. It's not. Truly a disappointment and as an event/conference planner I will never recommend this "resort" to anyone. Instead get yourself a decent room at either the Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn in Salida and get day passes to the Salida Hot Springs. You'll be much happier and save a few bucks as well.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Princeton Hot Springs Hotel Nathrop
- Mount Princeton Hot Springs Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A gorgeous natural oasis surrounded by towering peaks. Your perfect getaway, with every amenity. Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort is where you can do it all. Satisfy your quest for adventure, experience the healing powers of Colorado hot springs, and indulge in pampering spa treatments. Unlimited outdoor recreation alternatives for every interest, in every season, at every level. Gourmet meals, choice lodging, and our welcoming staff await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and Otel so you can book your Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.