“Depends on what you are used to...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and SAVE!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Monument
Denver, Colorado
“Depends on what you are used to...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I travel quite often for business and therefore get to stay at some very nice hotels. This deal came across my email from Amazon so we thought we would give it a shot as a weekend getaway. The staff was friendly, the room was clean but was fairly outdated (sheets need to be replaced and maybe at least increase the threadcount a bit), the pillows need to be replaced and the room was very dark. On our last day we slept in and therefore missed our chance for hot water in the shower. YES, they ran out of hot water. Who does that these days? We had drinks in the bar which is sort of hip and has a lot of potential from the decor but didn't quite get there. I know the owner claims he has a professional chef but our artichoke dip was overly microwaved and was not top-notch in any form or fashion. No "chef" would have served that "food". The glasses were spotted and it ust didn't feel clean. We had to drive to the back of the hotel to get to our room and on the way there had to pass a disgusting trash area. This should be fenced in and maintained so the guests don' have to look at it. I would say with a little more work and attention to detail this place might be OK.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an updated room and one that is away from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GEO-on-the-go, Owner at Sundance Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Sounds like you had a mixed visit. Just to let you know, we have ordered more linens and have spruced up trash area. I agree, it was ugly. We did have a very,very large funeral group and everyone took a shower at the same time and unfortunately our heaters could not keep up. Generally this is not a problem as we have adequate commercial units.
Actually, I am a photographer not a chef. However, I will look into the less than spectacular artichoke dip. Incidentally, that is one of our most popular items.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Pilar, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I and dog were very pleased with our 2 day stay. Most impressive were the very adequate continental breakfast,, and the included use of Tri lakes Fitness Center just down the hill. We would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the kind words. We do have lovely courtyard rooms. We have been adding extensions to make the outlets easier to get to.
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I wrote a previous review but somehow it got deleted, so I'm trying again in an effort to prevent others encountering the same experience I had.

The property has some nice decor, and with skillfully angled photos it looks great on the web. However, once you get there you'll realize that this "mountain lodge" is really nothing of the sort. It's a truck stop type location, immediately off the exit of I-25, a major interstate, and has everything in terms of "atmosphere" you would expect from that, and more...

In addition, there is a wastewater treatment plant right next door (check google maps if you don't believe me.. Woodmoor Water & Sanitation) and a sewer smell pervaded the property. It might have come from the "pond" which was pretty rancid looking, I don't know. In any case, I had to wash all my clothes when I got home, including items I had not worn, to remove the stench.

In case the highway and the smell is not enough to keep you from sleeping, there is also a fire station next door. The 2am fire resulting in several repeated sirens waking me up again and again was the icing on the cake.

Stay away. Stay far away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GEO-on-the-go, Owner at Sundance Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Please stop the fraudulent reviews! We do have the local water district next door, but it is the corporate offices, NOT the treatment plant! According to Lance Nielsen, Operations Superintendent, the water treatment facility is over 3 miles away. Next to our hotel is the lake that supplies water to the town, so it is very clean.
Our pond is spring-fed and a pleasant amenity to the property; guests and neighborhood kids feed the ducks and geese.
We do have a fire station next door, but have NEVER gotten a complaint, nor have we EVER had a comment about sewer smells!
We welcome comments, even negative ones, because it helps us improve. But we do not accept fraudulent ones!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The staff were very friendly. The room was clean. The. Lodge is an older property and is being updated. It was quiet even though it was next to the highway. There was a small deck for two outside the room. Both my wife and I found a two different things than other reviews, the bed was comfortable, and we loved the shower head.

The TV was very old and there was kimited channels available. The WIFI was slow at best and sometimes non existent.

One negative was that the door had a one inch gap between the floor and tge door, no weather stripping.

We enjoyedcour stay and tge restarant too.

• Stayed April 2013
Only a few inches! We are striving to be many inches above average!

We are in the process of replacing older TVs in some of the rooms and the internet is a challenge since we have concrete walls; they are very quiet but hard for wireless! Most guests don't have a problem, but if you have an older computer you may want to go to the lobby where it is a very strong signal.
Thanks for the tip on the weather striping.
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Everything was wonderful during this stay. The only problem I had was a burned out lightbulb! The staff was friendly. The property is absolutely beautiful--a remodeled older lodge-style hotel with all new decor, including carpeting. Plumbing fixtures are older, but in good repair. The grounds are inspiring, from lifesize bronze statues to a flock of live ducks and geese of many types. From the firepit and hammock to the pool, patio and winding paths throughout the property. Little touches of decor really made the environment special: lanterns hanging in the lower walkway, metal scrollwork hung above doors, playful metal stars on the ceiling of the lounge. I had a meal in the Bistro, attached to the property on the other side of the lounge...the filet was outstanding, with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables. Live music in the lounge during and after dinner was really special. At first I was disappointed that the property was so close to the city, but I didn't feel as thought I was in the city once inside. There were even pine trees outside of my beautiful balcony, screening my view of the highway. I was told the photographs in the rooms were taken by the owner, who is also a well-known wedding photographer. They were beautifully done. The owner has obviously put not only a lot of money, but lots of love into redoing this hotel, and it was a delight to experience.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room facing the courtyard, but my outside room was quiet, and the pines trees be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
We love travelers like you! Yes, we are close to The Springs, and basically on the highway, but we have courtyard, mature trees, waterfalls and views to take you away. We are also so close to all the sights.
Please come back!
ST Augusitne, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I stumbled upon this place and did a package they had for a night. We were surprised at what a great place this was. The property is really well maintained. Clean rooms. Very nice rooms and beds. The bar and restaurant attached was great with entertainment.The staff from Hyssa checking us in with a friendly face and all the information. And Diner, Matt our server made sure we felt like we were very important and very personal.

I would defiantly call this one of the best values I have had in a long time. We did a package with room dinner, wine and desert. We had a great time and a relaxing time as well.

We had our two year old with us and the restaurant personal made us feel like she was very welcome as well.

Great place!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are a family-run business and we make our guests feel like family! Thanks for noticing.

And we are a VERY GOOD DEAL! Our prices are similar to low-moderate priced chains and you get so much more: balconies, friendly staff, great restaurant, artistic setting...

Please come back soon!
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I attended a function at Sundance Mountain Lodge (SML) and was blown away!!! Several years ago under a different name the hotel just fine. It has changed immensely!! Remodeled inside and out. Our room was great. Very clean and nice touches throughout. It is not like the cookie cutter places that are so prevalent now. It has a great character that we loved.
Best Part: The staff was great. They catered to our every need with a smile! Whoever is in charge of that place has done wonders. I can't wait to go back. If you are in need of a great place to stay or hold a function you must check them out. Too bad there is no option for 6 stars! Well done SML!

Room Tip: Only thing I would say is you may want to ask for a room away from the interstate. Just a touch of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
WOW, 6 Stars! Thanks so much! We have spent lots of money to improve the property, since it was abandoned a few years ago! It has also taken us a few years to gather the amazing staff we now have. I really appreciate the comment.

Been to Sundance Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!