“Welcome to a dictatorship” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Mountain Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montrose
Elk Mountain Resort
You added Elk Mountain Resort to your Saves list
97 Elk Walk, Montrose, CO 81401   |
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Montrose
london
“Welcome to a dictatorship”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

This place it the strangest place I have ever stayed. It is completely ran by security, and you will never get a chance to relax. Most of the activities they advertise are not available, and to book omething simple like a massage is harder than booking a flight around the world. The staff are treated like slaves. In my opinion, this is a complete waste of money

• Stayed March 2005, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
QueenoftheWest, To a five star experience for everyone in the future! at Elk Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2008
I have been in touch with the owner recently, and understand that big changes are on the horizon, bringing the property and service to a different level, with new and exciting opportunities for all of the guests. This resort has the potential to make guests comfortable and relaxed, and completely satisfied, it is an amazing property. From horseback riding, to a new spa , give yourself a chance to relax. Watch for a new level of luxury concierge, I am sure that all guests in the near future will rave about the new five star experience!

Solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

We recently spent several nights at Elk Mountain and it is possibly one of the strangest experiences we’ve ever had. First, I did as much research as possible before going, before there’s not much written about this property. I had read a few glowing reviews from some sources, so decided to give it a try. All I can say – the resort and the facilities were just downright odd. And, very disappointing.

The drive to Elk Mountain was beautiful. It takes about 40 minutes to get there from Montrose. We reached Elk Mountain and we were so excited. I can’t recall the specific wording, but there was a sign that indicated that if you didn’t have business on the property, you better leave! (that’s not a bad thing, however, the wording on the sign was extremely strong, almost to the extent that you’d be shot if you proceeded). We came upon the entry gate and received a warm greeting. However, the “guard” asked if we were carrying firearms. We said no, and just thought it was weird. We proceeded slowly to the main inn, to be greeted by a young man waving with strong movements to “come here”, like he was rushing us. We were enjoying the scenery and not in much of a hurry! He obviously was in a hurry. We pulled up to the front (actually, entrance is on side of inn) and were escorted into this fabulous room. Two men, one young and one older, greeted us. Service was exceedingly formal, with extremely little talking. I attempted to ask a few questions about the property, but each was answered with as little information as possible. You got the sense that staff had been told to interact as little as possible with guests, maybe in attempt to create a more formal atmosphere. However, I could have been talking to robots! There were no smiles, no enthusiasm, no nothing. One man told us that they had prepared a “personalized” welcome package for us, that included personal letter from the owners. Package consisted of map of property and the letter – which was just a “glad you are here” letter, with my husband’s name spelled incorrectly and my name omitted (although I was the one with all the prior contact with the inn). They made such a big deal of this personalized welcome package, and it was a joke. We were escorted to our room by two men. On way to room, one young man told us that if there was an emergency, we should go to the parking lot, because the lobby gets crowded if everyone comes to lobby. I asked him if there had been “emergencies” and he said no, they just don’t want all the guests coming into the lobby. WHAT???? There was no other conversation on the way to the room. All rooms open to the outside. They unlocked the room and opened the door. Our two small bags were placed in the room, by just leaning into the room, and the two men disappeared. I mean they were gone in a flash! I was expecting at least one to enter the room with us to retrieve luggage rack and maybe give a brief overview of room’s features. That’s a common practice in luxury hotels. It was odd…we stepped into the room, were sort of taking it in, and the door shut behind us. They were gone! We didn’t even have time to tip them.

We took some time to walk around the property. It’s fairly big and we didn’t see one person. I don’t know why, but I got the sense we were being watched. It was an odd feeling, and a little difficult to explain. A staff member told us that 15 rooms were occupied, but there were only 3 cars in parking lot. A bit odd. One other note – rooms are not air conditioned. Our room was a bit hot. We called front desk to ask how to open windows and young man told us how….however, there was a piece of furniture that had to be moved to get to windows! I guess we were expecting a way to open the windows without moving furniture.

We re-entered the main building, just to look around. Young man at front desk asked if we’d like to see restaurant. We said yes. He opened door to restaurant for us, while at the same time fumbling with his supposedly “hidden” earpiece and microphone. Again, just like entry in our room, we’re left standing in the restaurant by ourselves. I thought he was coming in with us! Instead, he shut the door behind us. In a few moments, a young lady comes running from the back, drying her hands, and said she’d been “summoned” to show us the restaurant. She seemed slightly peeved. Well, we didn’t ask to see the restaurant. This gesture was offered and we accepted.

We had heard good things about the food and restaurant – BUT they were also disappointments. The young lady we’d seen earlier was the only staff member working in the restaurant. She was the bartender, the wait staff, the runner, she added wood to the beautiful fireplace, she did EVERYTHING! There were 9 guests dining. She was all over the place, doing the best possible, but it’s impossible to provide good service when you are the only one. In the meantime, I could see the two young men sitting out in the lobby area. Just sitting behind their desks. Breakfast was not much better, because the chef was the waiter! So-called “luxury” properties often brag about staff-guest ratios. I’m not sure what Elk Mountain would say….they charge a lot, but put it all in the hands of one or two staff people, who don’t have the “polish” needed for this type of service.

As to top off our experience, our check out experience was less-than-optimal. I was presented the bill and asked to sign and the young lady on duty just “tossed” the pen across the desk at me. This sounds picky, but there’s nothing wrong with passing a pen or sliding it across a desk.

I couldn’t recommend Elk Mountain to anyone. I hear they do a lot of weddings and special events. We did ask, quite casually, how they manage to do that with such limited staff. A staff member told us they hire out to temp agencies. It’s obvious. Elk Mountain doesn’t provide anything close to a luxury or even decent experience.

• Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Let me just say that the Elk Mountain Resort is an amazing place. It is is a beautiful location with many great amenities. I must say that their best asset is their staff. We were treated far better here than at even the highest end luxury resorts that we have stayed at.
The review dated 4/18 has several inaccuracies in the review in regards to the food prices and complaints about the room. The two of use had a VERY large breakfast every morning for under $30, which you cant even do at I-Hop anymore! We had their devine Kobe Beef Hamburgers for lunch which were $14 or $16 which is significantly cheaper than we've found at any other restuarant. Rather than contradict the rest of the statements, I will simply tell you that Elk Mountain, and the folks at the Valhalla Training Center are absolutely wonderful.
We enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning on returning at least once a year, and hopefully twice. We are even thinking of having our wedding there. Our next stay will be for a week so that we can spend far more time exploring the wonderful resort and spend more time training with Brad (who is wonderful!) at the Valhalla Training Center.

• Liked — The amazing staff at Elk Mountain and Valhalla Training Center
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in April while he was taking a gun course on the property. We called ahead and asked about the activities, and especially the one mile vita par course, as I was interested in running every day. The man on the phone was very friendly and described the course. It sounded great, so I brought my running gear and workout gear, as it really seemed as if there would be a lot to do. We arrived the next evening, and the hotel did not have our reservation ready. They had believed we would be arriving the next night (even though my husband had just spoke to the concierge the night before, AND his course began at 9am the following morning). We asked where the one mile par course was located, and were told that it was closed. We asked about tennis and rock climbing, etc. and were told you had to pay for everything... and it wasn't cheap. When you look at the website, you are under the impression that the activities are free, as they do not advertise prices or mention a fee at all. If you want to rent a mountain bike, you must pay $100 per bike. If you want to take a yoga class, you will pay $90 per person. The only thing I could do for free was use the small gym they had.

There were only two other people staying at the entire resort besides myself and my husband. Going into town was quite a long way, despite it being only about 15 miles. The road is mostly gravel, and the speed limit is 25 or 30. It would take us over 30 minutes to get to town each night for dinner. We would have loved to eat at the resort, but the prices were outrageous... and no breakfast is included, despite the high price of the resort. For a bagel, they charge $10. If you want cream cheese on that bagel, you are going to pay $15. If order the bagel via room service, you will pay $25. Want pizza and beer for dinner? You will pay $80.

The resort itself had an eerie feeling to it. One of the other two guests described it as something out of "The Shining." The staff was friendly, but you felt as if you were constantly being monitored. You have no choice but to valet your vehicle, and the valet takes your car a mere 6 feet away to park outside (no garage).

The maids would come to the room everyday at about 9:30am. There was one morning where I was working and did not want to be disturbed, so I hung the "Please Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I went to the gym at 11am, thinking that the maids would be back. They never came back. At 5pm, I had to call to have the room cleaned.

The room itself was nice enough, but not of 5 star quality. The room had a heater, but no air conditioner, and we had to turn the heat off because our room was boiling hot even on the lowest setting. The windows do not open, so the room has a constant musty smell - and after you shower, the room will be damp for several hours afterwards. I had to open the door in order to get the dampness out.

The most surprising thing was the daily cleaning. The maids never changed the sheets, nor did they ever clean the shower or the bathtub. By our last day, it was getting to be a bit gross. I worked out in the gym every day, but not once was the gym cleaned. My dirty towels and empty water bottles were still there each time I went back.

The highlight of the stay happened when my husband asked if we could have a late checkout. Now, remember - there were only a total of four people staying there - and only three rooms being used. My husband's gun class did not end until 5pm each day. Checkout is at 11am. We were told that in order to have a late checkout (3pm), we had to pay 50% of the daily cost!!! Never have we heard anything so absurd - especially when there were practically no guests! I spent the six hours waiting for my husband in the lobby.

For anyone thinking of staying here, please call and ask for prices ahead of time for what you are interested in doing. In addition, ask if the activities you want to do are even open!!! We do not plan on ever going back to Montrose, but if we must, we will certainly stay in town. The hotels in town are a quarter of the price and include a free breakfast!!!

• Liked — Free internet.
  • Disliked — Cost of everything from food to activities, Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

The customer service I am receiving from Elk Mountain Resort and Stephanie Sheek, event planner is quite simply the best I have found in planning our destination wedding. I cancelled plans at the Four Seasons in Lanai Hawaii because of poor customer service, and looked all over the map for a good wedding site. Stephanie at Elk Mountain Resort is delivering happiness on a silver platter, she is wonderful. The resort is customizing a wedding package for us, and Stephanie is holding my hand the entire way through. She answers email, calls me, and does everything when she says she will. She is creative and prompt and extends herself with such a delightful attitude that I am just thrilled to be getting married there. I will write more after the wedding and let everyone know how it turns out.

Our ceremony will be in the Swiss-inspired chapel on top of a hill. Stephanie is coordinating everything for us including hairstyling, makeup, harp, even a hot air balloon ride! I recommend this place highly to any bride-to-be that wants to be treated like royalty!

• Liked — Great customer service, luxurious accomodations, quality
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2005

I stayed at the Elk Mountain Resort for a couple of nights in November and couldn't be more pleased. The rooms were large and luxurious, the food at restaurant was delicious, and the entire property was beautiful. The staff was incredibly nice and attentive to all of our needs. We even used some of the Valhalla shooting facilities and received expert instruction. I wish we could've stayed for longer to explore more of what the resort has to offer.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2004

To start with it is a very unique resort. It is located on a mountain and has a national forest surrounding it. As you are driving to the resort all you see are huge evergreens and aspen trees. It is quite literally off the beaten path taking a dirt road to get to the resort. We were able to horseback ride, ATV and mountain bike. We also tried out the climbing wall and ropes (confidence) course they have and this is all on the property. One part that made the property extraordinary was Valhalla, a shooting club on property that you can do virtually any situation. Skeet, Pistol and realistic situation rooms. It was a wonderful vacation and I will definitely be returning to this resort.

Been to Elk Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!