“Not So Pleased...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Elk Mountain Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montrose
Elk Mountain Resort
97 Elk Walk, Montrose, CO 81401   |
Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in Montrose
Rifle, Colorado
“Not So Pleased...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

We recently had our wedding at Elk Mountain. The begining of the whole process was great. The wedding coordinator worked with our budget, was prompt on returning our calls, and agreed to everything we wanted. She assured me numerous times that the events I had been planning for the wedding guests would all be available and go off with not problems.
Well when the wedding weekend came, everything seemed to have a glitch or problem. The guys in the wedding party along with some other guests were supposed to have a game of paint ball the morning of the wedding, while all the gals were getting pampered. I had spoke with the manager of the shooting range and set the whole thing up, times, equipment, etc.... before the wedding weekend. Most of the guys had their own paintball guns, so they didnt want to have to pay to rent the facilities guns. This was okay prior to the actual game. When it came down to it, the manager would not let them use their own equipment. He told them they had to rent it, at the normal fee, which is outrageous, along with purchasing their paint balls.
The wedding guests were to be picked up for the ceremony with Elk Mountains SUV's. Which they did, but none of them had any air conditioning, and most people know that western colorado gets very hot in the dead of summer, air condition is a must. When my 70 year old grandmother asked if she could open a window to get some air flow, she was rudely told she could Not! That all windows had to remain closed for the entire drive up the mountain which takes appx. 30 min. By the time the guests arrived they were drenched in sweat, and ill from the long, hot, curvy drive.
After the ceremony, during dinner, which was on the patio, the weather turned very windy and rainy. So guests were told to go indoors, along with the wedding party. The wedding party was escorted into the restaurant attached to the facility, while the wedding guests that should be celebrating with us, were escorted into a seperate meeting room. So while 6 of us ate together in a huge restaurant, the other 150 guests were all piled in one meeting room. We didnt even eat with our parents! The menu that we had agreed upon prior to the wedding had also been changed, the dressing for the salad I requested was not served, and the guests did not get served any sort of a beverage until one hour until reception, not even water! This was all discussed before the wedding and there was to be water and ice tea served immediatly and continuously throughout the ceremony.
As the reception went on, guests started coming up to me complaining that the bartender had cut them off. As I started looking around the whole place was guarded with security, I mean like 8 men. Which would have been fine, if they would have attempted to mingle, but they stood firm with their arms crossed sternly. What had happened was that the security men would watch the guests, and when they felt they were getting to loud, they told the bartender they could no longer be served. By no means was this party out of control, everyone was enjoying each others company and celebrating the union.
I was supposed to have the facility until 2 am, but last call was yelled at 12:15am. Overall it was a horrible end to my great anticipation. The scenery was beautiful, but the accomodations were horrible. I would not recommend this site for any sort of event.

Stayed July 2007

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

My husband and I just returned home from our vacation at Elk Mountain Resort and Valhalla Shooting Club. We had the most wonderful time. I cannot begin to say enough about the Elk Mountain resort – it’s facilities and it’s people, the Valhalla Shooting Club, and most importantly our instructor, John.

We just got our concealed handgun permits recently and decided to take the Combat Focus Shooting class so we would know what to do if we ever encountered a dangerous situation.

John was our instructor. He is certainly a valuable asset to the Valhalla organization. He is a very knowledgeable and gifted instructor. He really seemed to care that all of the students learned what he was teaching. And his manner of teaching and dealing with people is phenomenal. John is a very high energy person and his personality made the class just awesome. I would recommend him for anyone considering a class.

By the time I did the last maze and looking back on our class now I realize all of the things we were taught really do work! I feel so much more confident in my ability to protect myself now. I can’t wait to come back and take the Advanced Conceal Carry, the Home Defense, or any other class I can to help me improve my confidence in my own personal self defense.

The resort itself was amazing and the accommodations were perfect. It was just beautiful and so elegant. I loved our room. I would live there if I could. :-) The views from the patio of the Tarragon were gorgeous.

All of the staff were wonderful. Jeff, Lisa, Laura and Scott were such nice people. The food was pricey but excellant and they mix some super drinks!!

I will definitely be telling everyone I know about my amazing experience with the Valhalla Shooting Club and the Elk Mountain resort and look forward to coming back for more classes.

Many thanks to Valhalla Shooting Club and to our instructor John !

• Liked — Valhalla Shooting Club
  • Disliked — A couple of spiders....seriously :)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

This place it the strangest place I have ever stayed. It is completely ran by security, and you will never get a chance to relax. Most of the activities they advertise are not available, and to book omething simple like a massage is harder than booking a flight around the world. The staff are treated like slaves. In my opinion, this is a complete waste of money

• Stayed March 2005, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
QueenoftheWest, To a five star experience for everyone in the future! at Elk Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2008
I have been in touch with the owner recently, and understand that big changes are on the horizon, bringing the property and service to a different level, with new and exciting opportunities for all of the guests. This resort has the potential to make guests comfortable and relaxed, and completely satisfied, it is an amazing property. From horseback riding, to a new spa , give yourself a chance to relax. Watch for a new level of luxury concierge, I am sure that all guests in the near future will rave about the new five star experience!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

We recently spent several nights at Elk Mountain and it is possibly one of the strangest experiences we’ve ever had. First, I did as much research as possible before going, before there’s not much written about this property. I had read a few glowing reviews from some sources, so decided to give it a try. All I can say – the resort and the facilities were just downright odd. And, very disappointing.

The drive to Elk Mountain was beautiful. It takes about 40 minutes to get there from Montrose. We reached Elk Mountain and we were so excited. I can’t recall the specific wording, but there was a sign that indicated that if you didn’t have business on the property, you better leave! (that’s not a bad thing, however, the wording on the sign was extremely strong, almost to the extent that you’d be shot if you proceeded). We came upon the entry gate and received a warm greeting. However, the “guard” asked if we were carrying firearms. We said no, and just thought it was weird. We proceeded slowly to the main inn, to be greeted by a young man waving with strong movements to “come here”, like he was rushing us. We were enjoying the scenery and not in much of a hurry! He obviously was in a hurry. We pulled up to the front (actually, entrance is on side of inn) and were escorted into this fabulous room. Two men, one young and one older, greeted us. Service was exceedingly formal, with extremely little talking. I attempted to ask a few questions about the property, but each was answered with as little information as possible. You got the sense that staff had been told to interact as little as possible with guests, maybe in attempt to create a more formal atmosphere. However, I could have been talking to robots! There were no smiles, no enthusiasm, no nothing. One man told us that they had prepared a “personalized” welcome package for us, that included personal letter from the owners. Package consisted of map of property and the letter – which was just a “glad you are here” letter, with my husband’s name spelled incorrectly and my name omitted (although I was the one with all the prior contact with the inn). They made such a big deal of this personalized welcome package, and it was a joke. We were escorted to our room by two men. On way to room, one young man told us that if there was an emergency, we should go to the parking lot, because the lobby gets crowded if everyone comes to lobby. I asked him if there had been “emergencies” and he said no, they just don’t want all the guests coming into the lobby. WHAT???? There was no other conversation on the way to the room. All rooms open to the outside. They unlocked the room and opened the door. Our two small bags were placed in the room, by just leaning into the room, and the two men disappeared. I mean they were gone in a flash! I was expecting at least one to enter the room with us to retrieve luggage rack and maybe give a brief overview of room’s features. That’s a common practice in luxury hotels. It was odd…we stepped into the room, were sort of taking it in, and the door shut behind us. They were gone! We didn’t even have time to tip them.

We took some time to walk around the property. It’s fairly big and we didn’t see one person. I don’t know why, but I got the sense we were being watched. It was an odd feeling, and a little difficult to explain. A staff member told us that 15 rooms were occupied, but there were only 3 cars in parking lot. A bit odd. One other note – rooms are not air conditioned. Our room was a bit hot. We called front desk to ask how to open windows and young man told us how….however, there was a piece of furniture that had to be moved to get to windows! I guess we were expecting a way to open the windows without moving furniture.

We re-entered the main building, just to look around. Young man at front desk asked if we’d like to see restaurant. We said yes. He opened door to restaurant for us, while at the same time fumbling with his supposedly “hidden” earpiece and microphone. Again, just like entry in our room, we’re left standing in the restaurant by ourselves. I thought he was coming in with us! Instead, he shut the door behind us. In a few moments, a young lady comes running from the back, drying her hands, and said she’d been “summoned” to show us the restaurant. She seemed slightly peeved. Well, we didn’t ask to see the restaurant. This gesture was offered and we accepted.

We had heard good things about the food and restaurant – BUT they were also disappointments. The young lady we’d seen earlier was the only staff member working in the restaurant. She was the bartender, the wait staff, the runner, she added wood to the beautiful fireplace, she did EVERYTHING! There were 9 guests dining. She was all over the place, doing the best possible, but it’s impossible to provide good service when you are the only one. In the meantime, I could see the two young men sitting out in the lobby area. Just sitting behind their desks. Breakfast was not much better, because the chef was the waiter! So-called “luxury” properties often brag about staff-guest ratios. I’m not sure what Elk Mountain would say….they charge a lot, but put it all in the hands of one or two staff people, who don’t have the “polish” needed for this type of service.

As to top off our experience, our check out experience was less-than-optimal. I was presented the bill and asked to sign and the young lady on duty just “tossed” the pen across the desk at me. This sounds picky, but there’s nothing wrong with passing a pen or sliding it across a desk.

I couldn’t recommend Elk Mountain to anyone. I hear they do a lot of weddings and special events. We did ask, quite casually, how they manage to do that with such limited staff. A staff member told us they hire out to temp agencies. It’s obvious. Elk Mountain doesn’t provide anything close to a luxury or even decent experience.

• Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Let me just say that the Elk Mountain Resort is an amazing place. It is is a beautiful location with many great amenities. I must say that their best asset is their staff. We were treated far better here than at even the highest end luxury resorts that we have stayed at.
The review dated 4/18 has several inaccuracies in the review in regards to the food prices and complaints about the room. The two of use had a VERY large breakfast every morning for under $30, which you cant even do at I-Hop anymore! We had their devine Kobe Beef Hamburgers for lunch which were $14 or $16 which is significantly cheaper than we've found at any other restuarant. Rather than contradict the rest of the statements, I will simply tell you that Elk Mountain, and the folks at the Valhalla Training Center are absolutely wonderful.
We enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning on returning at least once a year, and hopefully twice. We are even thinking of having our wedding there. Our next stay will be for a week so that we can spend far more time exploring the wonderful resort and spend more time training with Brad (who is wonderful!) at the Valhalla Training Center.

• Liked — The amazing staff at Elk Mountain and Valhalla Training Center
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in April while he was taking a gun course on the property. We called ahead and asked about the activities, and especially the one mile vita par course, as I was interested in running every day. The man on the phone was very friendly and described the course. It sounded great, so I brought my running gear and workout gear, as it really seemed as if there would be a lot to do. We arrived the next evening, and the hotel did not have our reservation ready. They had believed we would be arriving the next night (even though my husband had just spoke to the concierge the night before, AND his course began at 9am the following morning). We asked where the one mile par course was located, and were told that it was closed. We asked about tennis and rock climbing, etc. and were told you had to pay for everything... and it wasn't cheap. When you look at the website, you are under the impression that the activities are free, as they do not advertise prices or mention a fee at all. If you want to rent a mountain bike, you must pay $100 per bike. If you want to take a yoga class, you will pay $90 per person. The only thing I could do for free was use the small gym they had.

There were only two other people staying at the entire resort besides myself and my husband. Going into town was quite a long way, despite it being only about 15 miles. The road is mostly gravel, and the speed limit is 25 or 30. It would take us over 30 minutes to get to town each night for dinner. We would have loved to eat at the resort, but the prices were outrageous... and no breakfast is included, despite the high price of the resort. For a bagel, they charge $10. If you want cream cheese on that bagel, you are going to pay $15. If order the bagel via room service, you will pay $25. Want pizza and beer for dinner? You will pay $80.

The resort itself had an eerie feeling to it. One of the other two guests described it as something out of "The Shining." The staff was friendly, but you felt as if you were constantly being monitored. You have no choice but to valet your vehicle, and the valet takes your car a mere 6 feet away to park outside (no garage).

The maids would come to the room everyday at about 9:30am. There was one morning where I was working and did not want to be disturbed, so I hung the "Please Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I went to the gym at 11am, thinking that the maids would be back. They never came back. At 5pm, I had to call to have the room cleaned.

The room itself was nice enough, but not of 5 star quality. The room had a heater, but no air conditioner, and we had to turn the heat off because our room was boiling hot even on the lowest setting. The windows do not open, so the room has a constant musty smell - and after you shower, the room will be damp for several hours afterwards. I had to open the door in order to get the dampness out.

The most surprising thing was the daily cleaning. The maids never changed the sheets, nor did they ever clean the shower or the bathtub. By our last day, it was getting to be a bit gross. I worked out in the gym every day, but not once was the gym cleaned. My dirty towels and empty water bottles were still there each time I went back.

The highlight of the stay happened when my husband asked if we could have a late checkout. Now, remember - there were only a total of four people staying there - and only three rooms being used. My husband's gun class did not end until 5pm each day. Checkout is at 11am. We were told that in order to have a late checkout (3pm), we had to pay 50% of the daily cost!!! Never have we heard anything so absurd - especially when there were practically no guests! I spent the six hours waiting for my husband in the lobby.

For anyone thinking of staying here, please call and ask for prices ahead of time for what you are interested in doing. In addition, ask if the activities you want to do are even open!!! We do not plan on ever going back to Montrose, but if we must, we will certainly stay in town. The hotels in town are a quarter of the price and include a free breakfast!!!

• Liked — Free internet.
  • Disliked — Cost of everything from food to activities, Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

The customer service I am receiving from Elk Mountain Resort and Stephanie Sheek, event planner is quite simply the best I have found in planning our destination wedding. I cancelled plans at the Four Seasons in Lanai Hawaii because of poor customer service, and looked all over the map for a good wedding site. Stephanie at Elk Mountain Resort is delivering happiness on a silver platter, she is wonderful. The resort is customizing a wedding package for us, and Stephanie is holding my hand the entire way through. She answers email, calls me, and does everything when she says she will. She is creative and prompt and extends herself with such a delightful attitude that I am just thrilled to be getting married there. I will write more after the wedding and let everyone know how it turns out.

Our ceremony will be in the Swiss-inspired chapel on top of a hill. Stephanie is coordinating everything for us including hairstyling, makeup, harp, even a hot air balloon ride! I recommend this place highly to any bride-to-be that wants to be treated like royalty!

• Liked — Great customer service, luxurious accomodations, quality
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Elk Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!