“What to Say” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Montrose B&B and Inns
Picacho, Arizona
“What to Say”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were concerned about our late arrival knowing this was a small motel and thought it might not have all-night desk service so we called about 9:00 p.m. to assure them we were going to arrive. You can imagine our surprise at being told we did not have a reservation since we had prepaid for six nights on Orbitz. The manager assured us he had a room for us for the first two nights and the last two nights but the middle two nights were a problem. When we arrived at the motel about forty minutes later the manager was on the phone with Orbitz and had been since our call. We were given a room and told that he would do what he could to get the matter resolved. In the morning he told us he thought that one of his reservations for the weekend nights would not be used. We packed up our things and later in the day he called us to tell us he had a different room for us for the entire stay. We were totally impressed with the level of service we received. Needless to say we won't be using Orbitz again. They never notified the Briarwood of the reservation we'd made

Now about the motel. What to say? It's old. It's decently maintained. It's cheap. It's very, very quiet. We chose it because of the reviews on this website and because we could stay there for less than $50 per night. We did not regret our choice. The rooms are smallish. There's no coffee maker, but there is a refrigerator and an microwave. If you're offended by older furniture, older, spotlessly clean bathroom fixtures, CRT televisions, no ironing board look elsewhere and pay for it. If you want a good bed in a clean and quiet location with absolutely exceptional customer service and a classic continental (cereal, donuts and muffins, fruit, coffee and juice) breakfast then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We had one in the back there are some closer to the street that may be noisy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sheryl J, Manager at Briarwood Inns, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We were very happy that you were able to stay at the Briarwood Inns during your entire stay. Glad you did not have to change motels for a couple of days. It was indeed a pleasure, and our conversations was a special treat.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Central Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I for the life of me can't understand the good reviews this place gets... it is a pit!!! The rooms are small have an odd smell... probably of mold (my wife was sick for days after we left)... there was one hard back chair to sit on... there was virtually no room to move around the bed... the bed did not fit on the bed frame so every time we laid , down on the bed the box spring fell through the frame... motorcycles revving engines at all hours of the night... the dead bolt lock did not work (a real security issue considering the clientele this place attracts). We were going to stay there for several days but left after one very unpleasant night. The ONLY good thing about this place is the owner who seems to be a really friendly, helpful guy. The place is moderately priced but is no value when considering how awful this place is. We will be traveling to the Montrose area again but there is ZERO chance of us ever staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Seymour
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is an older hotel that is nicely kept up. The customer service is the best I have ever seen and the price is half of other hotels in the area during peak summer season. The breakfast is continental, but one of the better ones I have seen. The front desk person is very knowledgeable of the area even though many of the people that stay here are not tourists. For example, one guy I met during breakfast was just looking for a new job and a new place to live, and he found it in Montrose and was checking out that day. When I checked in, it was Friday evening, and for some reason my car had a stuck caliper. I asked him if he knew a shop that could help me out the next morning, and he gave me a flyer and a number I could call right then.

No swimming pool or fitness center--just a good, cheap room for budget travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sheryl J, Manager at Briarwood Inns, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Do appreciate your review of the Briarwood Inns. We try very hard to keep this motel clean. We look forward to crossing paths again.
Canyon, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

August 1, 2013
I have been here at the Briarwood Inns since May, 2013.
Brian was the desk clerk when I checked in and was very friendly and made me feel very welcome. It turned out that Brian was the whole maintenance "crew" for the motel, and I must say he does an excellent job. Any time something comes up, he's on it quickly and solves the problems.
I got to know Sheryl, co-owner/manager along with her husband Frank, and her sister LaTonya. They oversee the housekeeping department, and I want to thank them for their devotion and dedication to their guests. I've traveled an awful lot in my life, and these are some of the cleanest motel rooms I've ever seen. Thank you.
Frank is an excellent manager. He makes sure that all runs smoothly and that all the guests feel welcome. He works hard to make sure any and all complaints are handled in a positive manner. As an example, a few days ago a guy checked in here and after a couple of days, some of us who are long term guests, spoke to Frank about this obnoxious loudmouthed drunk and asked him if he could do something about the guy since we really didn't want to move from here. Frank took care of the situation by asking the guy to find another place to live. Thanks to Frank we no longer have to put up with him. Good riddance, Mr. Turner.
I highly recommend this motel. It's the best deal for the money in this area. I know that whenever my travels bring me to Montrose again, I will be staying here.
Thank you, Briarwood Inns, for making me feel welcome. Howard

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We thank you for staying at the Briarwood Inns and look forward to serving you again.
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We pulled in hot and tired after days of camping. Frank, the Owner/manager was happy and knowledgeable. This is an old property that is being well maintained and upgraded. The room was pleasant, clean and well stocked. The breakfast was of quality goods. This is a great place to take a break, bring a family or take a break from the road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sheryl J, Manager at Briarwood Inns, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your patronage, we were happy to read your review. We hope to see you in the future.
Nashville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for a quick overnight and were surprised at the nice service offered. The rooms are a bit small and beds so-so but a simple breakfast was provided and the rooms/hotel area were clean. Really appreciated the extra toiletry samples as we were running low.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sheryl J, Manager at Briarwood Inns, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for the great review we received from you. We hope to see you again sometime soon.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here for three nights while on a vacation in Colorado. I was pulling a trailer with a motorcycle. I had called ahead and Frank, the the owner/manager, confirmed I would be able to park safely on property.

Frank was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. He had his maintenance manager, Brian, help me unload the motorcycle and get the trailer parked. Both Frank and Brian were friendly and helpful the entire time. I know I would not have gotten this type of help at one of the chain motels.

The property is an old-style motel, one-story, park in front of your room. It's a bit dated, but kept up well. The room was clean as was the bathroom, maid service was daily and they did a good job. There were a few stains on the carpet, but it was clean.

The only issue I had was the wall-unit a/c wasn't really adequate for the room. It was summer and hot outside, the a/c only caught up at night when things cooled off.

I would definitely stay again, this was a great experience for me.

Room Tip: I think any room here would be fine.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sheryl J, Manager at Briarwood Inns, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We apprciate the time you took to review us. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Black Canyon Motel
Super 8 Montrose
Super 8 Montrose
#2 of 11 in Montrose
4.5 of 5 stars 350 reviews

Been to Briarwood Inns? Share your experiences!