“decent place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Montrose B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“decent place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

positives: the owner seems to care about customer service, is very sociable and able to answer questions about area attractions; clean property and clean rooms; microwave, fridge and 60 cable tv channels; good rates; good breakfast.

negatives: there was no closet or hangars in the room; no chair for the table in the room; dim lighting; on a noisy street but the fan drowns out the noise.

overall i'd recommend this motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mapleton, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Rude, unhelpfull, disrespectfull, one star is giveing them too much. Stay away, pass them by go down the road a little ways ,,you will be better off.

Room Tip: Best room is Not there
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Actually found this motel through a Frommer's budget recommendation. It is an old motel-style establishment, but is very inexpensive. We booked the "best" room in the house which included a jacuzzi tub. It was $65 a night. We stayed here because we spent some time visiting the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (which was great). The jacuzzi tub guaranteed a good bathing experience because tub and surround were new. However, I was turned off by a dirty blanket, which I asked to be replaced. It took 2 requests to get that done. The other problem was that they did not tell us at check-in that there is maid service only every other day. So we put our damp towels on the floor and had to request that they be replaced. We would have hung them up had we known. The bed was comfortable, and the air conditioning worked fine, as did the TV. The continental breakfast was also fine, and the the manager was very solicitous when we told her about our problems. There are a lot of bikers who stay here, but these are great biking roads, and there are bikers everywhere. In terms of value, this was half the price of most of the other places we stayed on our 10-day trip. Next time, however, I think I would spend more and upgrade a bit. But if you are looking to save money, there aren't many places where you have this priced option.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

This is a decent motel in terms of cleanliness and location. It is right down the street from downtown Montrose and walking distance to area restaurants, etc. The staff members were very friendly and they had a decent continental breakfast (cereal, pastries, hard boiled eggs). However, we did not get a great nights sleep at the motel due to uncomfortable beds and pillows. Mattress was hard as a rock as were the pillows. At $65 a night, I guess you can't complain...if you do want comfort, spend the extra $$ and upgrade to a better hotel. I wish that we had.

• Liked — Updated bathrooms, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable beds and pillows
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

We were basically looking for a one night stay to sleep on the way to Ouray. The room was small and the bed uncomfortable with very worn pillows. We did not get a good nights sleep. The in room fridge and microwave were a plus. Although the room was a disappointment, the staff were friendly and helpful. They have a room located inside the office where motorcycle attire and accessories are sold. We received some nice items at a discount for being guests which was nice. The continental breakfast was average; assorted juice, coffee, muffins, cold cereal. They do have a hot tub which we used but it's nothing special and the temperature was too cool.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Poor a/c, beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jackson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

Contacted the property to find a rate. When I arrived they would not honor it, but was charged more. Something was always off - lights, heat or water, and the maid seemed delighted in skipping service for days at a time then knocking furiously when a 'Do Not Disturb' sign was on the door. To add insult to injury, a noisy crew 'plowing' the lot on their 4-wheelers would wake you and ask you to move your car. The 'Continental' breakfast advertised often didn't appear at all or in a ridiculous form of coffee and oranges or something like that. As a going away present they charged and additional $200 on my card months after I left and although I produced the receipt for the stay for the time in question, they did not rescind the charge and even refused to answer e-mails. I am forced to change my card number to prevent further misuse. Rooms are indeed tiny and service often disagreeable.

• Liked — Ostensible price
  • Disliked — Spotty performace in every way
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
canyon_trails_inn, owner at Briarwood Inns, responded to this review, August 19, 2008
Very surprised to find Mr. Staples wrote such a bad review when he managed to find a way to suffer through us for several months while he was working in the area.
In fact, rather than a rate charged higher than he was quoted, he was charged 1/2 our going rate, since our then manager was embezzling money from our property. We as owners fired the manager and took control of the property back, as Mr. Staples knows since he stayed here for months after the manger's departure. He also knows that all of his complaints happened while the ex-manager was here and NEVER once we were running it again.
His credit card WAS charged right before the ex-manager left and we and Mr. Staples have had several emails exchanges regarding that. We have yet to reverse the charge, since we still are trying to figure out how and why it was charged, and it HAS taken too long. For that we are in error, but we have bent over backwards for Mr. Staples, forwarding his mail, including a refund check from the IRS that we could have simply returned, but we knew that the ex-manager had not done a good job for the beginning of his stay with us and we wanted to try to make it up to him. He also knows the incredible work we had to do to repair the ex-manager's damage and neglect to return our property to the standard in which we left it.
He has even called for rates for a return stay, considering another job in the area, but we could not charge him the 1/2 price he received from the ex-manager and so he did not return, but if he was willing to stay here again, we must not be all THAT bad.
I feel this review was written deliberately months after the fact in retaliation for the delay in researching his credit charge and that is the one thing in his review we will take responsibility for, but his situation was unique, unusual and never before or since have we been forced to delay a refund. Refunds are always done on the spot.
I am sorry that Mr. Staples felt the need to try to damage our reputation when he knows full well the truth of the matter.
Colorado Springs CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

I found this hotel on the Internet. I sent them a note requesting information and had an answer in several hours and made my reservation.

It's easy to find and easy to enter. The rooms are quite small but I was looking for a place to shower and sleep, not a permanent residence. The staff members I initially spoke with were quite friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions. Later, one staff member was rather indifferent although not downright rude.

Looking back, I think I would rather have a fan in my room that I could adjust rather than the air conditioner that was there. I put it on maximum cool and left for several hours. When I returned, I couldn't notice any cooling effect provided by the air conditioner.

I would stay here again if I were to visit Montrose again.

• Liked — Ease of access
  • Disliked — No air conditioner
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Briarwood Inns? Share your experiences!