“Nice place... kinda” 4 of 5 stars

Monarch Mountain Lodge
22720 West US Hwy 50, Monarch, CO 81227   |
“Nice place... kinda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

we stayed... we had reservations for 2 nights. the resturaunt had great food, the senery was nice. but bring your own shower soaps because there wasnt any in our room. we ended up staying for 1 night because the beds were not to comfortable. and, the lodge is haunted. there is even a certificate for it in the lobby. there is also loud kids running around the halls at night because of the pool and hotubs downstairs... that is not the lodges fault though. but the people were great and the senery is amazing

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Palisade, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We booked a 4 night stay in one of the Junior Suites (we wanted a stove so we could eat in our room). When we arrived, they gave us a "suite" without a stove. We had to wait 1/2 hour while they cleaned out suite. I was fine with that...mistakes happen.
Next night...we go to eat at the restaurant. We were told it would be a 1/2 wait so I asked them to call our room when it was time to come down. They said it that was fine. We waited in our room for 45 minutes, called down and were told they were clearing a table for us and to come down. We go down, wait 10 more minutes and finally decide to seat ourselves at the table with a high chair they have set up. The host tells us it's for another family, but we can use that table and he'll sit the other family at "our" table. We have a 2 month old...the other family has a 13ish and 16ish year old. Why do they need the highchair?
The waitress comes, takes our order and gets our drinks. We sit, and sit, and sit. The lobby is full of people waiting, there are tons of empty (but dirty) tables, the host is talking to some couple about where he went to high school and the waitresses are chatting in a corner to themselves. No one came to refill our drinks. We sat there for 1/2 hour and left. My son and I went up to the room, grabbed my wallet, and went back down. My husband decided to stay in the room with the baby and eat a peanut butter sandwhich. When we get back down, the waitress says, "It'll be just a minute...it's coming right up." Well, 20 minutes later we get our food. She then tells us she has to charge us for my husbands plate. I told her I'd pay for my food, my son's food, and all our drinks, but not my husbands food. She gets her manager and I explain everything. He said the waitresses and host are all new and they've had a lot of complaints and that the host will not be working there anymore. He then said, "Don't worry about the bill. I'll take care of it for you." Ok, to me, that means I don't have to pay. Of course, this upset our (terrible) waitress and she didn't come by the table at all the rest of the meal.
We get home, check our bank statement. THERE'S A CHARGE FOR DINNER AND ANOTHER CHARGE FOR HER TIP!!! I've been trying to get ahold of a manager all day but there's just some desk worker who says all the managers are gone and there's no charge in his computer for that amount. Now we have to call the bank and dispute the charges.
VERY UNPROFESSIONAL AND TERRIBLE SERVICE sums it up.
At least the pool and hot tubs were nice.

Colorado Springs, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We normally stay in Salida when we ski at Monarch, but our friends had gotten a discount on this hotel for themselves, so we stayed in the hotel with them on the ski and stay rate. It's very close to Monarch Mountain, but not close to anything else. If you want to eat at a restaurant, you either have to eat at the hotel restaurant or drive quite a ways to Salida. The rooms were dated, but clean. We were on the street side, but were not kept awake by traffic noise at all. Also, the snowplow managed to clean the parking lot without waking us up at 4 am with that annoying beeping sound (that happened at another ski resort). The hotel was quiet, the staff were friendly. The rooms are kind of rundown looking and outdated, which would be fine if the hotel were cheaper, but at the rates they're asking, I expect the bathroom door to close. (Our friends' bathroom door did not close either.)
The hotel restaurant had a million dollar view, but the food was awful. Every single thing on our plates was cold with the exception of the made-to-order eggs.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I will never understand why people think is acceptable for a place to be total garbage because it doesnt cost $100 a night or isnt a chain name hotel! There has to be a point where owners and management have pride and this place has none!

We stayed on the 4th floor that had a very disgusting smell as we walked in. The curtains were unhooked and hanging loosely down which looked very bad. I can deal with little cosmetic things like that without much issue though. My bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean so I was pleased with that. We did visit the pool which has no towels and we brought our own. After the pool my wife got in the shower to get ready for dinner. There was no more towels as we used them all for swimming. She called the front desk to ask for some towels to which she was told she needed to come get them. She told the lady she had already showered and would have to drip dry to be able to get dressed and go down to get towels. The front desk replied "ok" and hung up! This was already unacceptable but this isn't even close to the real issue we had with this place.

The issue that myself and the party with me had was with your restaurant. We had a party of 9 staying with you last night and as you know after a day of skiing you can be very hungry. I saw that your restaurant closed at 9 so I made it a point to get there well before closing time as I know how irritating it can be for a cook to have large parties coming in close to closing time. So what did my family get for accommodating your employees?? A 2 hour wait time to eat and probably the rudest service I have ever even seen let alone experienced. I am not exaggerating at all when I tell you it was a 2 hour wait. We arrived at 730 and finally ate at 930 at night! My 8 year old daughter fell asleep at the table because of the wait and ended up not even being able to eat her dinner I still paid for! The fact that my child went to bed starving last night enrages me beyond belief when we arrived at your restaurant 1 1/2 hours before closing time! The worst thing about all of this I haven't even gotten to yet. I am a very patient man and will put up with a lot of crap from a staff because I know first hand how much of a pain in the butt customer service can be. What I experienced last night was so far past ridiculous I still struggle to believe it happened.

There were 2 waitresses working last night. After 40 minutes of waiting without even getting water 2 of our group went to eat dinner from your vending machines!! We still waited it out because I am trying to feed my child! After about 20 more minutes the 2 waitresses stand RIGHT BY our table and argue about who is going to serve us. With the argument ending in one waitress saying "I'm not helping them! There are too many of them!" and walked away. We are sitting here listing to this!! If there were ANY other choice for food we would have left and ate elsewhere but we couldn't! Finally in a act of desperation we asked the guy at the bar if he could just help us so we could eat dinner tonight. He came over and tried to help the best he could. We got our food and ate (without my daughter who had fallen asleep at the table) a full 2 hours after we arrived at the restaurant. No offer for a discounted meal, no offer for a free meal, no offer for ANYTHING that would help fix the totally ridiculous service and rudeness we had to sit through.
This place is a total joke and actually deserves to go under! Drive to Salida and give your money to a business that will actually appreciate your money

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

My 12-year-old and I stayed at the Monarch Mountain Lodge on 2/11/11 after a day of all-out snowboarding. This is the only hotel that’s close (within 6 minute) of Monarch Ski Resort; the next closest were in Salida, 15-20 minutes away. I knew that the staffers at the Monarch Mountain Lodge were awesome from the first call – very polite and friendly, witty folks. I called several other places, but the service and the price were right at this one.

“Rustic Mountain Lodge.” That was my overall impression of the sturdy, exterior. This place looks like something built to endure Colorado blizzards and snow dumps – exactly the kind of place that endures the ages. Not a new place – but well maintained.

My initial impression about the service was correct. The front desk ladies were polite, informal, and genuine. They took their time, and were welcoming and funny. They gave me a key with a fat square top and I was off to my room. There was a little mix up – the room they sent me to was in the middle of being cleaned. I went back down to the front desk, and they quickly made amends with apologies.

For first impressions of the room, I’ll let the 12-year-old do the talking. The place got three “Wows.”

First: “Wow this is nice!” Then, running to the back door and stepping out: “It has a porch!” Then, still on the porch, and seeing huge icicles bristling from the level above: “Wow … can I knock those down?” Back in the room, he said “The walls are brick …” Just an observation, like saying the sky is blue. Then, stepping to the side door, “Wow, where does this door lead?” It was one of those doors leading to the next room, which opens to a locked door on their side. Only this door was special … it had orange shag carpet covering the hidden side from top to bottom. Both doors. I kid you not – orange shag carpet like fur from a Sesame Street monster. I repeat, not visible unless you open the door.

Finally, he said: “I like it. TV’s kind of small, but I can live with it.”

I would concur, and will add that the room was almost sparkling clean. The carpet was new, or freshly cleaned, or both. Great job to whoever does the cleaning – it was pristine. Nice looking, quality, polished furniture with decorative bed spreads that gave the place a feel of sophistication, mixed with an air of originality. Electric fireplace on the wall. Small metal kitchenette. This is definitely a unique character spot, and I mean that in the good sense. This place pulls off lodginess, creativity, sophistication. I don’t know how, but it all just works.

I would also stress that the place smelled fine, unlike some of the other older places I’ve stayed in.

There was, however a Monarch Ski Resort poster featuring a weird 80’s lady with long blond hair about to brush the hair of a white wolf. Fits with posters I’ve seen at the ski resort. I jokingly covered the picture with my sweatshirt. Then my sweatshirt jumped off of it – almost as if the weird lady had pushed it off … good for a laugh.

My only complaint was the shower. I got the water right where I wanted it, and was showering and relaxing for about five minutes when, all of a sudden, a burst of scalding water shot out, causing me to almost cuss with pain. Instead I said “Ahh …” **THUMP – THUMP** “What the heck?!” The “THUMP – THUMP” was the sound of me lunging forward to get out of the water.” No skin damage, but you can bet I was flinching for the rest of the shower. I called to let the front desk know, and they said they would report it to maintenance.

Overall, a great little place. I would stay there again.

Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Great place,fast and courteous servioce.Enjoyed every minute of it.Had an awesome band,and the Cliffhanger restaurant has superb food and service

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

My Family and I stopped at lodge just passing by and saw they were having a Haunted House and Halloween Bash so we decided to stop. $49 dollar rooms for our family was great!!!! Food, Music, and a haunted house! My kids were more then Happy the place is VERY clean I was kind of sad to get on here and read the terrible things. The staff was friendly and very helpful even in the scary attire. We will be going back in the winter for a ski trip. Yes it is a little dated but well worth the price. Great Ammenities!!! I would suggest this hotel looking for a nice place to stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Monarch Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!