“Nice but expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moffat
Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa
You added Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa to your Saves list
28640 CR 58EE, Moffat, CO 81143   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moffat
WI
“Nice but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have been here several times, and it is a nice hot springs (not sulfury smelling like most other hot springs). It's very picturesque (you overlook mountains). I stayed at the hotel as well (expensive, but since it's in the middle of nowhere, you don't have much of a choice unless you wanna drive back to one of the bigger cities like Salida). The hotel rooms are nice (clean, they provide shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, lotion, body wash, etc). The breakfast is good too. There are NO TVs in the rooms (just FYI....so bring stuff to do when you're not soaking in the springs). The spa is also nice, but pricey (I had a scalp treatment and massage...was good and the lady who did it was excellent)...I think it was on special for $130. I always meet interesting people (locals) when I'm here! Love this place and stop by every time I'm in Colorado!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Villa Grove, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Joyful Journey Hot Springs has some of the most amazing hot springs water I have ever found anywhere. The lodge and convention center are perfect for retreats or weddings. The yurts are cozy but rustic so those who need more "creature comforts" should choose the lodge which has private bathrooms. This is a serene and peaceful place with views that are beyond description. It's not easy to get to but completely worth the trip, no matter where you come from. Some people, like me, come for a visit and stay for a lifetime.

Room Tip: Choose a yurt for an "upscale camping" experience or if you have a pet. Choose the lodge...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Crested Butte, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed here 1 night in a yurt and enjoyed our stay. The yurt was clean and surpisingly warm for the conditions outside...we did have the heaters cranked but the wind was howling so it stayed an average of 60 degrees the entire night. If there was no wind it would get much warmer.

There are 3 pools with various temps. They are tile and none of them are all that big but large enough to accomodate about 10 people (there was never more than 5 people in a pool we were in and we had them to ourselves the majority of our soaking time).

The staff was extremely nice and accomodating. The breakfast was o.k. Just your typical hotel continental breakfast...not a lot to eat for a gluten free person. There is a kitchen guests have access to so if you bring what you need that is an option as well. Overall the stay was great and we will go back.

Room Tip: If you like camping then you will probably enjoy a yurt. If not spend the extra money and get a roo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

**Location: Seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but according to the website it’s located in the San Luis Valley in south central Colorado, 30 miles south of Salida on Hwy 17, 1 mile south of Hwy 285. Once here you are very near the Great Sand Dunes National Park which we didn’t hit on this visit, but have on previous trips and is well worth seeing!

**Customer Service: Very friendly and capable – kind of a groovy new age vibe.

**Room: Attractive and very, very clean. Beds are comfortable, but it is worth noting that the rooms are kept at a really uncomfortably warm temperature (at least in November) and guests are barred from adjusting the thermostat. However, you can open windows or turn on the wall unit a/c.

**The Property/Amenities: There are three natural hot spring soaker pools – all of which are maintained to very high standards and feel absolutely amazing with really lovely, unique views. Wind barriers are very effective and much appreciated! We didn’t use the spa services, but they looked quite nice.

**Tips:

The continental breakfast is truly dreadful and the owners would be advised to just get rid of it and perhaps lower rates a tad.

I **highly** recommend the 4th Street Diner & Cafe in Saguache for both dinner and breakfast – a real diamond in the rough and far preferable to driving all the way to Salida!!

Definitely try to make time for the Great Sand Dunes!

Room Tip: I'd avoid the yurts!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Having previously stayed a night here two years before and soaked in the pools 2-3 times in the past few years, I recently took my elderly mom for a 3-night stay of spa pampering. We found on the Joyful Journey's website a special rate that knocked $60 off the regular rate if we stayed any two nights or more, Sunday through Thursday.

NOTE: see my photos for good overview.

The staff was friendly enough, but a bit preoccupied with check-ins, calls, booking massages, managing the grounds, and acting as cashiers.

The spa has three outdoor, fenced-in pools of varying temperatures and sizes. As their website says:

"Although the water rises from the travertine springs at between 120 and 145 degrees we maintain our pools between 98 and 108 degrees. The water is a sodium bicarbonate type with significant levels of boron, calcium, lithium and magnesium along with several other beneficial minerals."

Pools are drained at night, so the temperatures in the early morning around 7:30 am (guests get to use the pools early than the public) are not consistent. Toward the end of our stay on Tuesday, one pool had been left unattended -- something they don't do on the busier weekends -- and a large number of black water bugs were having a hey-day in it. The other pools were fine.

One massage therapist we had was a massage-by-numbers type who seemed stuck on "one type of massage for all." I prefer a more intuitive type and I know the other two massage therapists were this way. Amanda took away my neck pain I'd had for a month.

A night's stay comes with a continental breakfast. In the breakfast room, we found bagels and bread for toasting, hard boiled eggs, excellent organic coffee, juices, granola, Dannon Yogurts, a microwave (nice because I brought microwavable popcorn for snacks), and small tubs of very tasty peanut butter. I snagged some of the breakfast peanut butter for an afternoon snack on celery that I'd packed in my ice chest.

There is no ice machine on the property, but they let me use a freezer to re-freeze my ice packs.

The #106 room where we stayed was huge, probably an ADA compliant room and bathroom.

*The two queen beds had rustic, but smooth, headboards made of wooden posts.
*A single window looked south and could be fully opened for a night of refreshing Colorado air.
*No closets or hangers--just a couple of drawers in a console-type piece of furniture
*Nice-sized table and two chairs for eating or computers
*One more comfortable chair near window

Drawbacks:
*Restaurants in the area are 15 to 30 minutes away. (We drove to Saguache to eat at the Oasis, Crestone to eat at the Bliss Cafe, and Salida to eat at Amicas or we ate in the hotel room with foodstuffs from home.)

*The air conditioner worked well but rattled like crazy. The same noise did not occur on heat mode. I stuffed some paper under the vent grate to mitigate the noise.

*No way to hang up clothes

Best Part:

*Soaking with the great views: sunsets, early mornings, clouds, stars -- amazing moments of relaxation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Fun spot and wonderful water! Really beautiful and a favorite spot of ours.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I only used the hot springs and did not stay at the hotel. You can choose from 3 different spas depending on your preference for water temperature. I arrived early in the morning and had time to try all three. The 108 degrees was even a little too warm for me who loves really hot showers and hot baths. They were running cold water in it to cool it down from 112, but I could only tolerate the temp for short periods of time. The view from this spa is beautiful. Two sides face the open space and mountains. Gorgeous! Too bad I can't say the same about the condition of this spa. Tiles are missing, windows are a little worn. Really takes away from how amazing the place could be. The other two spas approx. 104 degrees and 100 degrees, are in slightly better condition. But the view from there is only of the other spa. The women's locker room is small and could use some renovation. I tried to overlook the wear and tear on the facility and enjoy the benefit of soaking in the hot springs....for $10 it was worth the visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Joyful Journey Hot Springs Spa? Share your experiences!