“Closed 9/13/12” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Wing Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manitou Springs
Red Wing Motel
You added Red Wing Motel to your Saves list
56 El Paso Blvd., Manitou Springs, CO 80829   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Manitou Springs
Glenwood Springs, Colorado, United States
“Closed 9/13/12”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Travelocity booked a room for me on 9/26, I arrived on 9/29 and found a sign on the door that they had closed for remodeling on 9/13/12. Best that Travelocity could do for me was assure me that they wouldn't charge me for the room I didn't get - and that was after 25 minutes of hold... Place looked like it needed a remodel, but no evidence of any work started yet. A few long term residents were still on site, and in the process of moving out by the end of the month. Looked like a lot of long term rentals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The pictures on the website are very misleading. The lobby was cluttered with paper and old furniture. The room was dirty and smelled bad. Several of the rooms didn't even have door knobs.The pool was empty. We checked in and checked right back out again!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for about 3 hours until we overheard people talking about bed bugs. We went in the room and looked at the 50 year old mattress and saw bed bugs crawling everywhere. This place is a rip off! Poor management and nasty rooms...we ended up staying at the days inn around the corner which is a little more expensive, but well worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Republic, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I had reservations for a 10 day stay to visit family. The room was spacious, but had no soap, ran out of toilet paper in 2 days, went to office 2 different days to get some, was told that someone was 'out getting some now'. I finally bought my own. No maid service, requested a change of towels, never happened. Smoke alarm went off for no reason. I had brought my own power strip and extension cord, which was fortunate because there was one outlet, already in use by lamp and clock. I really wanted to like it there, but with the long term residents, who seemed more like homeless people than anything, I just couldn't. Parking was very limited.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

....because of the high ratings for this motel. Stayed 4 nights on a getaway trip with friends. Stayed in 2 different rooms, both in bad need of remodeling, especially the bathrooms. Carpets were stained; no shampoo; no maid service; had to ask for fresh towels; seedy characters actually LIVING there as though it was an apartment complex; guys wandering around with beer cans and smoking cigarettes; first night we were there, police were called to talk to an unruly tenant. Smoke from a resident in room below us wafted up into our room, and we had to turn up the air conditioning and open the bathroom window to get it blown out. We will never stay here again. One positive: staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Butternut, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed here last night b/c of so many positive reviews. Think they were rigged. No soap, no shampoo, and definitely no continental breakfast. The place is ancient and underwired--it could not handle a hair dryer, curling iron, and air conditioner being on at same time. It could not handle the tv and air being on at same time. The breakers were tripped three times and the solution was too reduce our use. Thank God I did not have my computer plugged in, etc. The shower had a bare tricklet of water coming out. Their parking is minimal. Upholstered furniture is outside doors waiting to be hauled away it looks like--very junky looking. The drapes and bed covering had holes. The sheet did not fit tightly on bed.... I could go on and on and I can't believe that we paid $71. Got ripped off. The woman that checked us in afternoon was not helpful when we asked where the cog railway line was--our impression was that we had interrupted her while playing a game on computer. No customer skills at all. It was hot and the pool did not have water in it--wonder if it will later.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Rooms are so tiny that the two of us were doing a balancing act.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed for one night because of the good reviews and we only wanted a simple place to sleep and did not need amenities of higher priced hotels. First off I will list the good: Low rates, very friendly reception office personel, the rooms are very clean and it was quiet. The bad: It is very old so although they do keep it as clean as it can get ( there was not even any dust on the baseboard heaters ) there is mold growing in the windows. The other problem was that is was much too warm in the room and there was no way to adjust the heat. The little window air conditioner battled with the heaters and still the room never went below 85 degrees. When I complained about this, the receptionist explained that the boilers had not been shut off for the season yet. She was sympathetic and apologetic but there was nothing she could do. All in all, I view this as the little motel that could. But even for the low rate, I will not stay again, mostly because the heat problem in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Wing Motel? Share your experiences!