“Unique Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Castles, Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Construction of Miramont Castle began in 1895 as a private residence for Fr. Jean Baptiste Francolon and his mother. Miramont has four floors,The Castle has 30 rooms to view covering 14,000 sq. feet. The building features 9 styles of architecture. Enjoy an elegant High Tea in the Queen's Parlour Tea Room.
West Lafayette, Indiana
25 attraction reviews
“Unique Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We had reservations for high tea & were treated like royalty. Large floppy hats provided enhanced the atmosphere and the view from the tea room was lovely. Plenty of food with a nice variety for fresh and baked goods. My mom is in a wheelchair so we were able to see parts of the "museum" as the handicapped entrance is on the opposite side of the bldg as the tea room...I don't think I'd spend the $ for the tour. For the price we paid for tea, the tour should have been included.
A fun time for a different kind of experience.

Lake of the Ozarks, MO
8 attraction reviews
“Our whole family enjoyed viewing the castle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

We went early in the day so it wasn't super busy. We enjoyed looking through the castle/mansion. There was even a cool firefighter's display to see. There were lots of cool rooms and unlike some museums you could take pictures.

Corpus Christi, TX
“We enjoyed it and came back a second time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We enjoyed our first visit so much that we came back a year later and brought our children. I love that you are free to roam the house on your own and take your time. The woman at the front desk was extremely friendly and knowledgeable of the castle's history. I noticed that someone else complained about being asked to buy a book that the woman at the front desk wrote but I just want to say that she never asked us to buy a book either of the times we went.

The castle is known to be haunted. We captured several mysterious orbs in many of our pictures that we took in the two rooms the woman told us the orbs usually appear in. Our children had fun taking random pictures all over the castle in an attempt to capture them. I would recommend this self guided tour for families with older children unless you are going to carry your toddlers.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
101 attraction reviews
“Interesting and quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I really enjoyed my visit. It isn't so much that the castle is historic in and of itself, but the architecture and memorabilia are broadly fascinating. For example, in the firehouse display, there's an Ed Wynn "Texaco Fire Chief" doll...a rarity you don't see often. The house's furnishing and appliances and photographs show one what it was like in the period. I liked that it was a self-guided tour, and it was interesting to me that many of the visitors that day happened to be families of Hispanic descent, and quite fascinated with so many of the various displays. It's an odd house with a unique history, and for me, well worth a couple of hours of a rainy Sunday afternoon. Recommended.

Denver,CO
“Miramont Castle - Highlight of our vacation in Manitou Springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Lady at the desk when you enter was very interesting and knowledgeable.
She made you feel very eager and curious to see the castle.
Rooms seemed very authenic and detailed.
Every room looked like it proabably did when the people lived there.
Pianos and organs were outstanding
We took a lot of photos
Some of the visitors were looking for orbs in their pictures.
Overall a great experience, plan to return.