“Not perfect, but we'll be back” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Peoria, Illinois
“Not perfect, but we'll be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had Savelli's Special pizza - crust, sauce and toppings were all very flavorful. Wife had mostaccioli which was overdone and arrived with the wrong sauce. Three of us ate all we could and had leftovers for under $40 after tax and tip. Have a relative that is local who is a fan of the place though admits there is the occasional slip - but in his words "they hit much more often than miss".

Visited December 2013

Colorado Springs, CO
“My New England Italian Eatery in Manitou”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Living in Connecticut for several years, I fell in love with the many small Italian restaurants that pepper that state's small towns. Now that I am in Colorado, I look to Savelli's for that same experience. Homey, inexpensive, good Italian food.

It's a simple place but the food, atmosphere and service all fill the bill admirably. It does close early. I saw one reviewer complain about not being able to eat at 8:30. He wondered if the staff just wanted to leave early. No, that's not it. The place simply has elected to close early. 8PM is about it. Don't get there at 8:01PM.

Yes, all of the servers are young, but I've never had anything but the best in service. Every waitress has been attentive. They typically ask me if I want drink refills. They are friendly and several of them have been there for awhile, so they do know what they are doing. It does help to be friendly with them. I always find them quick to respond to a smile and a warm greeting.

Atmosphere is about what you should expect for a restaurant of this type. It's pizza and simple Italian dishes. Décor is simple. The booths are comfortable. The place is clean. No pretensions. I thoroughly enjoy myself while I am there.

I think the food is quite good. The cheese bread appetizer is like a cheese pizza. I have to be careful I don't fill up on it before dinner comes! I like the antipasto salad. It doesn't have exotic ingredients but it has a good amount of meats and cheese. Pizza comes with a medium thickness crust. Ingredients are plentiful and tasty. Calzones are quite large and also very tasty. I've never walked out unhappy and I've never left hungry.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful lunch ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stopped by here on way back from cog train ride.
Very friendly staff, efficient and food was delivered quickly. Several lunch specials to choose from.
We tried the minestrone and potato bacon soup. Both were fantastic and very favorful. Pasta was good too.
Submarine sandwiches are large and good too. Very clean restaurant.

Seattle WA
“Didn't get to try it because.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We tried to eat here on a Friday night in October. We found that most of the places in Manitou were trying extra hard because of all the flooding in town to be very accommodating. However, not the case with this place. We entered the restaurant at 8:25pm on Friday Oct 11 and were told that they were closed and no longer serving! REALLY?? 8:25 on a Friday night? We asked if we could just order pizza, even to go....NOPE! I just wondered if this was really the normal closing time or if it was just a bunch of kids choosing to leave early. I just hope the manager is aware.

Rhode Island
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After reading all the reviews about this place, we decided to go with low expectations (at least as it regards to service) but were completely surprised. The service was excellent and prompt. We did not see any of the service issues that other reviewers had noticed (perhaps the owner is reading these reviews?). We had a small stone-baked pizza and the fried appies, and enjoyed it all. Prices were good. Not a high-brow place, so don't go expecting the "best of the best", but it was enjoyable and we would go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere