“I'd like to work there, but never again for vacation.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 attractions in Mancos
Type: Ranchs
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A family-owned and oriented guest ranch nestled high in the pristine wilderness of the San Juan Mountains and just 35 minutes from Durango, CO. Since 1956, Lake Mancos Ranch (now re-named the Majestic Dude Ranch) has been offering our guests a home away from home in the Colorado mountains 35 miles west of Durango. A week-long, all-inclusive dude ranch vacation provides families with a lifetime of memories, whether that means long rides on a mountain trail, guided mountain bike tours, hikes in the neighboring national forest, catching a rainbow trout along the banks of a cool stream, lake or river, or just relaxing by the fire with friends.
Denver, Colorado
“I'd like to work there, but never again for vacation.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My family and I were really excited about going on our vacation at Majestic Dude Ranch. When we arrived on the first day, they decided to skip the scheduled activity because there was only one other family at the ranch. I was a little irritated as we paid A LOT of money for the experience and felt like I was being a little taken advantage of, but got over it quickly. We soon met all of the staff, and by Wednesday one thing was very apparent. The staff at the dude ranch are very close, and tend to all hang out together in a way that makes the guests watch them have fun while we feel left out. For example, on Tuesday we went for a "cookout" with all the guests and staff. The staff made quite a show of having the most wonderful time, playing loudly with each other, and trying to throw each other in the water. The guests all sat around quietly, feeling extremely awkward. my strongest recommendation would be for no teenagers. My two girls and the other family that had teenagers all felt very left out watching all of the staff their age having a blast while they had to sit and watch. I truly think that you could find a much better experience someplace else for the money. On the good side, the food was surprisingly wonderful. I give it a definite A+. All in all, it's a beautiful place, but the ridiculous price (we paid four thousand for four people for three nights, which only included two days of any sort of activity) and the way the staff makes you feel left out may make you want to look elsewhere.

Visited June 2011
rbucksbaum, Owner at Majestic Dude Ranch, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
We have yet to charge a single family of four $4000.00 for a three night stay - wonder if you're mistaking us for another ranch. In addition, you mentioned we canceled an activity because you were one of two families at the ranch. This has never happened since we have consistently hosted between 13 - 17 families at the ranch each week. In addition, our staff goes out of their way to take guests on mountain bike, horseback, kayak and guided fishing trips - even for one person. Our staff does get along very well with each other - that's one of the main reasons we've had so many positive reviews in the past. However, they are significantly older than you suggested (average age 28), put the guests needs above their own and have always acted in a positive and professional manner. Thank you for the terrific comments about our food and beautiful ranch - everyone who has stayed at the ranch so far this season has raved about their stay.

Fayetteville, New York
“The Best vacation experience ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I had a wonderful experience at the Majestic Dude Ranch. I cannot adequately put into words how wonderful it was. It was by far the best vacation experience I have ever had. They were were so detailed in their care, from picking me up at the airport and showing concern about my motion sickness to arranging amazingly adventurous and breathtaking activities, to giving me transportation back to the airport for my return trip home. The staff were so attentive, hard-working and kind. They were eager to share their vast knowledge and love of ranch life. Everyone there quickly became new friends. At the close of each day there was a very engaging social activity. My favorite night was when a few members of the staff read poetry and sang while playing the banjo under the stars, in front of a fire while the guests indulged on smores. The scenery is gorgeous with the ever present astounding view of the snow topped San Juan Mountains. You cannot find a more relaxing retreat away from a hectic life. The accommodations were absolutely charming. The rooms were beautiful and meticulously clean. The details in each room, including the woodwork, tile work and granite counter top, were most impressive. The bed was very comfortable and much appreciated after a long day of activities. I have already talked to some friends in the Boston area about returning to the ranch with me next year! I really look forward to it!
Mary
Fayetteville, NY

Tennessee
“You need to go for an unforgettable vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My wife and I both had wonderful time! The food was great. The wranglers and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. From the most advanced riders to people that have never seen a horse the staff makes sure you will have the time of your life. This is a great place to leave all your worries behind. The clean mountain air and breathtaking views will allow you to get your life into perspective.
The owner made sure we wanted for nothing. They gave my wife personal riding instructions. They were also able to set up a custom fishing trip for myself. The kitchen staff even taught themselves how to make sweet tea just for us southerners (which went good with their fried chicken)
We will mis all our new friends. Most of all we will miss Mike the ranch dog.

San Diego
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We have just returned from a wonderful week at Majestic Dude Ranch. We were there from June 5 – 11, 2011, the second week of the season. Note, I said second week of the season. They are not open in April. ‘Nuff said on negative reviews.

I had been to the ranch 8 years previously with my son (different owners at the time). This time my husband came and he was a little nervous since he had no riding experience. He ended up having a great time going on the trail rides. The wranglers are great at choosing the right horses and giving instructions to the beginners. April, the head wrangler, was terrific about modifying rides if asked. Some of us didn’t feel up to the 4 hour ride, so she actually trailered our horses to a point where the ride was only 2 hours long. The scenery can’t be beat: meadows, ridges, streams, and forests. All the wranglers are fantastic, and we especially enjoyed Laura Lee.

In addition to the horses, there are mountain bikes, kayaks and fishing at the lake, archery, hiking, whitewater rafting, you can learn to rope, line dance, watch a movie under the stars (“Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” the week we were there), visit the animals in the petting zoo (I fell in love with Radio, the donkey), go to Mesa Verde, sit in the hot tub, swim in the pool, play games, sit on your porch and read, or just take a nap. Your biggest responsibility is to listen for the bell that lets you know when it’s time to eat.

Speaking of food, there is lots of it and it is fabulous. I have to mention Sandy and her wonderful baking! Everyday there was fresh bread, cookies, cobblers, crisps, pies, coffee cakes. I will be missing her for quite a while. They serve 3 meals a day with a salad bar at lunch and dinner. We really enjoyed the steaks, ribs, and pasta night.

We stayed in a room in the ranch house. Those 4 rooms have been completely renovated with beautiful wood and tile floors, gorgeous tiled shower, and a comfy Temperpedic king bed. Housekeeping came in everyday to tidy up and make the beds. Everything was sparkling clean. I peeked into the cabins, and while they are older in style, they were absolutely clean, too. I understand Robert, the owner, will be gradually renovating the cabins. If they are anything like the ranch house rooms, they will be first class.

This review is a bit long, but I can’t say enough good things about our vacation. The staff was outstanding. We got to know just about everyone, including the kid’s counselors, kitchen staff, wranglers, and maintenance. Standouts include Erica, Megan, John, Lauren, Larry, Ellie, Laura, Garret, Miranda, Jen, April, Sandy, Laura Lee, Sean…and I know I’m forgetting some. Robert was an outstanding host, flexible and willing to do just about anything to make our stay a memorable one. He succeeded admirably. We will be back!

San Francisco, California
“Can't wait to go back!!! Amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I just returned from a week long trip to the Majestic Dude Ranch. I fell so in love with the place that I extended my stay! At one point I called my family and told them I felt like I was in Mayberry because on my walk to the lodge for breakfast, one staff member shouted, "Hi Abby, can I get you anything for your room?" Followed by a second staff member, "Good morning, Abby! Let me know when you want to practice some archery!" Everyone was on a first name basis, and extremely attentive, friendly, flexible, and professional.

The negative review on here is totally false. The ranch is not even open during the time that person said they stayed there. I can definitely tell you that I had an amazing time there. It was my first trip to Colorado, and the scenery is beautiful. The ranch is very clean, and the staff were incredible. The other guests I ended up meeting there had so much fun, we have already discussed meeting up there again next summer. This will truly be a yearly vacation destination for me.

There is horse back riding, kayaking, white water rafting, archery. crafts, campfires, outdoor movies, line dancing, etc., etc. And if you simply want to relax, it's super quiet there with great weather. The food was awesome, and I was completely comfortable throughout my stay.

Bottom line: I can't say enough about this place!