“Best place around” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shelly's Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyons
Shelly's Cottages
Save Saved
You added Shelly's Cottages to your Saves list
16188 N. St. Vrain Dr., Lyons, CO 80540   |
Broomfield, Colorado
“Best place around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I laughed when I read the last review. We have been staying at Shelly's for a few years now and love this resort every time we are there. The owners operate the resort and couldn't be a nicer couple. When we need something, they do whatever they can to help. Every cabin is spotless and never had a bad hot tub. The grounds are just gorgeous and peaceful. The price is what you would expect to pay for a kitchen, hot tub, king bed and river. If anything they are a tad under priced for the area. I'm sure they can't make everyone happy and those people are usually the ones posting bad reviews. That's why I decided to write mine. Can't let a great property painted as bad because of a cranky reviewer. Stay at Shelly's Cottages and I promise you won't be sorry. You will find yourself wanting to return as soon as you get home!

Room Tip: We have started in 5 and LOVE them all. Can't go wrong with whatever you choose.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Shelly's cottages,

We decided to try Shelly's cottages for our 1year anniversary since we
had driven by it so many times. We had thought to stay before even
though our friends and family kept telling us bad things about the
place. Well, we found out the hard way that they were right. We
reserved one of their cottages for two nights (at a hefty price) and
were immediately disappointed as we walked in to our cottage. It was
dirty, smelled of natural gas, and the hot tub was not clean. We
asked for an immediate refund and were told that they would only give
us half back. This after pointing put safety hazards. They said that
they would not give us our money back because they had to turn people
away. There was nobody else on property and their vacancy light was
on.

In other words, they only wanted our money at the cost of our safety.
We will never stay there again and recommend that nobody stay there.
Hopefully there is some regulatory agency that will take interest in
this and ensure that it is taken care of.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed a Fri Sat night and it was wonderfully quiet with no kids around. It is close to Lyons for food and gas and just a short trip to Estes Park. No dishwasher which was fine for us and no hairdryer. The best part for us was how quiet it was. The next best part was the gas fireplace and the private hot tub. We really enjoyed our getaway and a slow down for the weekend. Be sure to eat BBQ at Smokin' Dave's in town. On the way to Estes is Big Elk Meadows on the left for some hiking.

Room Tip: We stayed in Aspen (the second unit in). It was quiet and comfortable. The hot tub was out back in a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was disappointed. For the price I expected more. I loved the grounds and the sound of the river could be heard from the porch. We stayed in the Cottonwood. I thought it was way overpriced. You were allowed a certain amount of towels for bathing and the hot tub. There was little room to dry them out. No dishwasher but an extra charge if the dishes weren't done. Trash had to be taken out too.The cabin was nice but nothing special. Kitchen and bathroom were very small. No internet and cell phone service spotty.The hot tub was private and ok but not worth the extra money. All in all I was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

We didn't want to stay in Estes park nor did we want to stay in boulder so this was a good compromise. We were looking for something in 70 to 100 dollar range but this was a few bits over that mark. But looking at the room it was like our own house almost with our own small but walk in kitchen and full refrigerator. We only used it for our left over pizza but we at least used it as well as the dishes and silverware to heat it up in the morning. We also used the coffee marker which my fiancé liked.

The bathroom is what really attracted me with real tiling which also was tastefully done with nice colors.

We had not one double sized bed but two! I'd rather have had one king sized and a couch but this worked. It was comfortable and there were extra pillows and blankets if we wanted them.

One of my few complaints is the curtains. They were nice enough but left a gap as they were not close enough to the wall. I felt I we were giving the late comers, and there were surpringly plenty, a show.

Finally the grounds were beautiful and it was right by the river. There were signs not to venture over the property designated for the cottages which seem slightly unfriendly but it was fine. We didn't really have time to linger but took a very brief walk out to the river.

Also note this was not a b and b so no breakfast continental or otherwise. The woman running the place was nice enough though we had to run through the sprinklers to reach the office. Not a problem. It was kind of fun.

In conclusion the place was very nice but also what you should expect for the money.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Mr and I have been staying at Shelly's regularly for a couple of years now.
A serene, perfect getaway - quiet, child-free, tranquil river views (deer spotting guaranteed just about every evening!), comfy cabins w/ simple, clean appointments. We sometimes spend the day in Lyons and get in early eves or start early w/ grill-prep and river walks. Whatever you prefer - this little "resort" has what you both need.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me by planning a getaway for my birthday. We stayed at the little duplex type cabin. The outside didn't look very special but the inside had one of the most comfortable beds and pillows that I think I have ever slept on in a hotel or even resort. The owners were extremely nice. It snowed the morning of our trek home and before it was time to check out the road was clear. The cabin we was very clean, modern and much bigger than I thought it would be. It was not super cheap but it was very close to Lyons and Estes Park where we went to have dinner and play some pinball. The scenery was breathtaking, many of the cabins had hot tubs but we decided against it because we were just staying there to sleep. It was truly awesome. I hope everyone enjoys it as much we did.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shelly's Cottages? Share your experiences!