“Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shelly's Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyons
Shelly's Cottages
You added Shelly's Cottages to your Saves list
16188 N. St. Vrain Dr., Lyons, CO 80540   |
Olathe, Kansas
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was disappointed. For the price I expected more. I loved the grounds and the sound of the river could be heard from the porch. We stayed in the Cottonwood. I thought it was way overpriced. You were allowed a certain amount of towels for bathing and the hot tub. There was little room to dry them out. No dishwasher but an extra charge if the dishes weren't done. Trash had to be taken out too.The cabin was nice but nothing special. Kitchen and bathroom were very small. No internet and cell phone service spotty.The hot tub was private and ok but not worth the extra money. All in all I was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

We didn't want to stay in Estes park nor did we want to stay in boulder so this was a good compromise. We were looking for something in 70 to 100 dollar range but this was a few bits over that mark. But looking at the room it was like our own house almost with our own small but walk in kitchen and full refrigerator. We only used it for our left over pizza but we at least used it as well as the dishes and silverware to heat it up in the morning. We also used the coffee marker which my fiancé liked.

The bathroom is what really attracted me with real tiling which also was tastefully done with nice colors.

We had not one double sized bed but two! I'd rather have had one king sized and a couch but this worked. It was comfortable and there were extra pillows and blankets if we wanted them.

One of my few complaints is the curtains. They were nice enough but left a gap as they were not close enough to the wall. I felt I we were giving the late comers, and there were surpringly plenty, a show.

Finally the grounds were beautiful and it was right by the river. There were signs not to venture over the property designated for the cottages which seem slightly unfriendly but it was fine. We didn't really have time to linger but took a very brief walk out to the river.

Also note this was not a b and b so no breakfast continental or otherwise. The woman running the place was nice enough though we had to run through the sprinklers to reach the office. Not a problem. It was kind of fun.

In conclusion the place was very nice but also what you should expect for the money.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Mr and I have been staying at Shelly's regularly for a couple of years now.
A serene, perfect getaway - quiet, child-free, tranquil river views (deer spotting guaranteed just about every evening!), comfy cabins w/ simple, clean appointments. We sometimes spend the day in Lyons and get in early eves or start early w/ grill-prep and river walks. Whatever you prefer - this little "resort" has what you both need.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My boyfriend surprised me by planning a getaway for my birthday. We stayed at the little duplex type cabin. The outside didn't look very special but the inside had one of the most comfortable beds and pillows that I think I have ever slept on in a hotel or even resort. The owners were extremely nice. It snowed the morning of our trek home and before it was time to check out the road was clear. The cabin we was very clean, modern and much bigger than I thought it would be. It was not super cheap but it was very close to Lyons and Estes Park where we went to have dinner and play some pinball. The scenery was breathtaking, many of the cabins had hot tubs but we decided against it because we were just staying there to sleep. It was truly awesome. I hope everyone enjoys it as much we did.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Absolutely lovely surroundings, wonderful grounds to walk, with a bubbling stream...it was bliss. If you want solitude, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I had researched many places on the internet, I was looking for a relaxing, romantic, close, getaway for my boyfriends birthday, I was very skeptical because of some of the reviews I had read. Upon our arrival, I felt very welcomed, the cabin was small but very clean and modern, ours was the Maples cabin. The private hottub was the main reason I had chosen Shelly's. And we truley enjoyed every moment, the outdoor hot tub was so relaxing, with the starry night above that was something I will always cherish. My only regret is that we only stayed 1 night ! We will be back very soon....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We've been going to Shelley's for about four years now. We really enjoy it. The cabins are not 5 star luxury, but certainly sufficient and always very clean. The grounds are always very well maintained. The owners are welcoming and accomodating. I think people who stay here have to keep in mind that this property is family owned and operated so there are some minor inconveniences related to that issue. They have resently updated the insides of the cabins so they look nice and homey. We have only had trouble with the hot tub one time. They are usually quite hot, clean, and relatively secluded. Our biggest complaint is always comfort. The living rooms have futons--not the most comfortable when you want to put your feet up and relax. Overall, though, a great, relaxing, affordable place to stay. We'll be back. (ps- we have NEVER been charged any kind of extraneous fee. We clean the messes we make and respect other people's property.)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Shelly's Cottages? Share your experiences!