“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Loveland, Colorado
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I had eaten at the Black Steer before a few years ago so when some friends and I who didn't want to wait 1 hour for seating at Henry's on a Friday night, we thought the Black Steer would be a good alternative. Not so that night. We had to wait for our table for about 20 minutes -- no problem, it was a Friday night. So we sat at in the bar and waited quite a while for the wait staff to take our drink order. Then we had to wait another abnormally long time to get our drinks and my martini had no olives in it. Though the martinis are inexpensive, $5.50, they aren't very good, undoubtedly a lower grade of gin. Once we got to our table our waitress was prompt and efficient. The food they serve is basic -- steaks, some type of potato or rice and an iceburg lettuce salad. Three of us ordered filets wrapped with bacon and they all said their's were good. I had their "Signature Pepper Steak" and while it had good flavor, it was a tough piece of meat. I had to ask the waitress about our second round of drinks because they never showed up. She apologized and got them to us in short order. So bottom line -- it was a mixed bag and I will continue to delegate the Black Steer to my list of alternates, and push it farther down the list.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Aspen, Colorado
“Bad Potato, Over Cooked Filet!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My potato was burned, they over cooked a fillet mignon, and salad was old! How could they ruin a great meal? Well they did from start to finish. We will never return. I am starting to wonder where the good restaurants are in Loveland, Colorado!

Visited October 2012
Pueblo, Colorado
“Take a chance on this gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We were just hungry and don't know the area. Saw the signs outside and took a chance; glad we did! Walking in the decor is a little different, but adds to the restaurant. Ordered salad, which came with chex as croutons - it works well, chicken sandwich, beef tips and to die for egg noodles. The meal was delicious, large portion sizes, good atmosphere. Very helpful and accomodating staff, we will be back if we are in the area.

Loveland, CO and Mt. Vernon, IA
“The Best Burger...period!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Black Steer is tucked away behind a non-descript front entry, windowless...but the interior decor makes it alive. The staff is friendly and efficient. As their name portends, it's primary emphasis is on meat. And the basic lunch was sought: in my case a mushroom swiss burger. It was cooked and seasoned to distinctive perfection. But there's more, instead of the usual fries as the side, I opted for rice pilaf. That was excellent. And finally, a slice of watermelon added to the cuisine. Besides the taste, the plate looked visually perfect. So I will return again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Berthoud, Colorado
“Excellent steaks and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Really enjoyed the steaks at this western restaurant they melt right in your mouth believe me love the taste of great beef.

• Visited July 2012