My family took a quick getaway last weekend, and since we had a $50 Best Western Gift Card, we tried out this hotel. We reserved our usual selection at a fairly reasonable rate: non-smoking, 2-queen bed room, upper floor, away from the elevator. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff who made the extra effort to ensure our room was ready as we had shown up right after the 4:00 check-in time. In fact, we did have to wait outside the room in the hallway as the 2 room attendants did some last-minute checks.
Little did we know, the smoking rooms (maybe 5 or 6 of them?) are smack in the middle of the hotel's 2nd (upper) floor, with non-smoking rooms on either side and nothing to separate them from the non-smoking rooms. In the hallway, there is minimal air flow at best, and we had to pass by those rooms when coming off the elevator. As we approached our room near the end of the hallway (room 235), the doors on 4 of the smoking rooms were propped wide-open to the hallway as the staff were cleaning them. Perhaps they were trying to air them out, but since there was no source of fresh air, it was just recirculating the odor to the rest of the hotel. Also as we passed by their supply carts where they were standing and chatting, we noted the overwhelmingly strong smoke smell... we wondered if they had been smoking in the rooms while cleaning them, or perhaps the aroma from chain-smoking occupants had so permeated these rooms that they had absorbed it into their clothing? (It seriously reminded of the old days when I worked for an airline and I had to pass by or serve those seated in the smoking section in the last few rows of the plane!)
Even taking the stairs at the far end of the building didn't help - the whole floor REEKED of smoke, and since all 3 of us are seriously allergic to smoke, it is a major health concern for us, and we try to do our best to avoid being subjected to situations such as this, in fact that is a prime concern and part of the consideration when we book non-smoking rooms. As a result, we were really frustrated with these circumstances. When we left for dinner we headed straight to the stairs at the far end of the building so we wouldn't have to pass by the smoking rooms or use the similarly smoky elevator, and when we returned we entered the same way. On opening the fire door, we were immediately assaulted by an aroma like an overladen ash tray that nearly took our breath away - certainly not something we wanted to face after a wonderful dinner! Each of us did our best to hold our breath as we ran to our room, noticing on closing the room door that there was a sizable gap between the door and the frame, which allowed the smoky air to continue seeping into our room. If we'd have had another option we likely would have left, but thought perhaps we could tough it out. Since we'd also noticed it seemed the place was fairly well booked with a full parking area when we returned from dinner, we figured it was quite unlikely we would be able to switch to another room. In fact, on checkout the desk clerk confirmed that they'd been full for the night, and while she offered a cursory, "yes, we were full, so you wouldn't have been able to switch" statement, there was nary a hint of empathy or at least "sorry for your experience" when I explained how turned off we were by the odor. Had we been paying the full amount on our credit card, I would have asked for them to compensate us for this experience, but since we'd used the $50 gift card I did my best to try to hold my tongue. (Now a week later, I'm thinking how nice it would have been to allow my family to have the full benefit of the $50 gift card by staying at a place we would have appreciated a lot more)!
While this property is quite nice by Best Western standards and seems to be fairly new and well-maintained, I've given a "poor" rating on the cleanliness factor due to the pervasive stench that served to aggravate our allergies. FYI: if there is an asthmatic person in your party, be sure that you stay on the bottom floor which seems to be fully non-smoking, otherwise it's possible you may be making a visit to the emergency room due to an asthma attack. In addition, while the beds were quite comfortable with lovely down comforters and pillow-top mattresses, I've given the same "poor" rating for the sleep quality - went to bed with a headache that lingered all night due to my suffering second-hand smoke saturated sinuses. In addition, check-in was quite pleasant with courteous and attentive staff, but checkout was not nearly as nice since the desk agent remained seated on her stool, making little effort to engage or make direct eye contact, and also did little to assure that we left as satisfied customers, thus the "average" service rating.
Needless to say, we are not planning a return visit.
Non-smokers will want to be on the 1st floor since smoking rooms are located right in the middle of...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.