“Good experience downtown Longmont” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 237 Restaurants in Longmont
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Columbus NE
“Good experience downtown Longmont”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Recently dined at Antonios in Longmont and found the experience to be very satisfying. We always like to try a new Mexican/southwest type restaurant when visiting and dined here with family. This is not a restaurant you will want to dine at if you are in a hurry, but the food is worth the wait. Service was good, but server appeared to be "stretched" a little thin which made her visit to the tables quick. She did a very nice job. We had the fajitas, Chile Rellenos, enchiladas de mariscos, and Fresh Guacamole. Food was fresh and hot when brought to the table. We found everything to be quite tasty. Margaritas were good. We definitely would visit this restaurant again. Would recommend reservations, at least on weekends, and there was a line when we left.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

longmont
“Nice Little Place !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Nice little place in Longmont, very good food and atmosphere. Service isn't fast, so don't go if you are in a hurry, but I think it is worth you trying!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarahml_12, Owner at Antonios, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
THANK YOU! for your positive review and for your business. please visit us again:)))
Boulder, Colorado
“Excellent Chile Rellenos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went to this fairly new restaurant for the first time on Sat., Feb 22nd, and because I had seen it written up in a local magazine I knew it would be busy. We got there at 5:00p.m., just in the nick of time, by 5:15 there were a bunch of people waiting near the front door and at the bar.

The restaurant is long and narrow and really not large enough to accommodate the crowds they are getting. Maybe the week nights are not so busy? It was a cold night and every time the door opened and more people flocked in, the people seated near the front of the place were shivering. So if its cold outside and you are not sure of the table you will get bring your coat.

There is an active bar scene in Antonio's and it is noisy. I was able to talk to my dinner partner without yelling, but still this is not your quiet romantic dinner spot. Also, I only saw one woman with several children, maybe 8-12 years old. The service the night we were there was very slow but worth waiting for the food. However, I think small children would not be able to sit for so long. I'd say our wait was easily 40 minutes before receiving the main course. Our wait person was polite and professional but not overly friendly which was fine with me but some might think the staff are aloof.

The chips could have been greatly improved upon. Nothing special at all-in fact I've had better out of a bag. Not a good start. I also did not care for the salsa which had a very smoky flavor.
My friend did not care for the salsa either. But after reading some of the other comments, some people are raving about the salsa.

Everyone around us waited a long time for their food to arrive. This Mexican food has a different taste to it-more like the flavors I have had in Santa Fe. It tasted like my plate had been put together with much care and deliberation as opposed to someone just haphazardly heaping beans and rice on a plate. The rice had an herby flavor and was pale green. The beans were delicious. Now to the chile rellenos-there were two of them- each about 6-7 inches long and battered to perfection and covered with an incredible green chile sauce. The cheese inside was amazing. Could very well be the best rellenos I have ever had. You know the feeling when its so delicious but you are getting so full, and you know you need to stop eating but you can't-that's what happened that night to me. I kept saying just one more bite. I thought the servings were very generous. My friend had a burrito with shredded beef which she also liked.

I don't know what the owners can do-knock out a wall and expand? The restaurant needs more room, that's for sure. I would go back but probably on a week night. Again, unless you've got a kid with gourmet tastes and a lot of patience, this probably isn't a good choice for them. And yes, about twice the price of one of the well known chains of sit down Mexican restaurants.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sarahml_12, Owner at Antonios, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
thank you for your business and for a positive review.
i think your right about us expanding. we will open another bigger restaurant in the near future.
and yes i also agree with you this is definitely not a rush in rush out service restaurant. so yes if your in a hurry to get somewhere this may not be the place to eat if thats the case. we're not a fast food restaurant and never will be.
as for children we are kid friendly and we are more than happy to place there meal order right away if there very hungry,,we understand...
thanks again.
Mead, Colorado
“good food, bad vokka”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming here since they opened. The food is fantastic but the last two times I dined here I asked for a straight Grey Goose martini and both times it was not straight Grey Goose. I told our server the first time and her reply was "I watched her make it" The second time I taste it and knew immediately it was not straight Grey Goose. I have been drinking Grey Goose for many, many years. I look forward to going there again but have to wonder if I will have the same situation happen again.

Visited February 2014
Miami, Florida, United States
“Good Meal & Good Service! A Little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were in Boulder for an extended weekend and one night decided to venture up to Longmont for meal and to see the town. Colorado has soo many neat and charming towns. Longmont is bigger than we anticipated, really bordering on "city" designation. We like it. There's a neat park dedicated to Theodore Roosevelt in the center of the downtown area. Anyhow, decided to try Antonio's based on that they have their original restaurant in Taos, New Mexico and we love the red and green chile dishes out of that region.

We got there early as they don't take reservations, and frankly it was getting really cold and windy at night during our time in the area. So we got seated immediately. The place is long and narrow, so not a big place. Families started to flow in and you could see the wait time for tables was on the long side. It got crowded quickly after say 6:30PM.

Our waitress was absolutely delightful. She was young, polite and hustling to take care of all her tables. The place feels more like a Mexican restaurant than an NEW MEXICAN establishment. Starting with chips and excellent salsa. I could have drank the salsa, it was that tasty. We started with their Guacamole which is made fresh tableside for $9 dollars. It was good, we asked for a little more jalapeno in ours and the young woman was more than happy to accommodate us. Portion could have been bigger, but it was tasty.

Our main entrees took a long time to arrive. Longer than I think it should have. Didn't time it but I'd guestimate at close to 40 minutes. Glad we ordered an appetizer, we would have gotten a little irritated otherwise. Felt bad for the people waiting for tables looking at us, wondering if we were just taking up a table and not eating while they were anxious to sit and eat. Our table was near the bar and entrance, so we felt the eyes on us. I ordered the Buffalo Short Ribs in Red Chiles and my wife ordered their Carne Asada entree. Her Carne Asada was delicious and a winner. They nailed that piece of meat. My Buffalo was good, not great. Texture of the meat was off to my taste buds. The sauce it sat in was good and frankly the reason I ordered it as I was eager for New Mexican chiles. I'd have to say I'd order the Carne Asada again, but not the Buffalo at $24 dollars.

So we had a pleasant meal here, and it was nice to get away from higher prices in Boulder. We also saw that there is large Mexican population in Longmont with PLENTY of small Mexican eateries wherever we drove in town. Guessing you could get some great Mexican food for little money in Longmont, in the same way in certain neighborhoods in Miami you find great cheap Mexican food, much better than on South Beach, and the Gables.

I would definitely go back to Longmont and explore more. Try some of the local places. Antonio's feels more upscale, and I would recommend to a friend. But I would think they need to do more regional New Mexican food from Taos and Santa Fe to separate themselves more from the many options of Mexican places to eat locally. Just my opinion.

• Visited January 2014