“Good Meal & Good Service! A Little pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 237 Restaurants in Longmont
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Miami, Florida, United States
“Good Meal & Good Service! A Little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were in Boulder for an extended weekend and one night decided to venture up to Longmont for meal and to see the town. Colorado has soo many neat and charming towns. Longmont is bigger than we anticipated, really bordering on "city" designation. We like it. There's a neat park dedicated to Theodore Roosevelt in the center of the downtown area. Anyhow, decided to try Antonio's based on that they have their original restaurant in Taos, New Mexico and we love the red and green chile dishes out of that region.

We got there early as they don't take reservations, and frankly it was getting really cold and windy at night during our time in the area. So we got seated immediately. The place is long and narrow, so not a big place. Families started to flow in and you could see the wait time for tables was on the long side. It got crowded quickly after say 6:30PM.

Our waitress was absolutely delightful. She was young, polite and hustling to take care of all her tables. The place feels more like a Mexican restaurant than an NEW MEXICAN establishment. Starting with chips and excellent salsa. I could have drank the salsa, it was that tasty. We started with their Guacamole which is made fresh tableside for $9 dollars. It was good, we asked for a little more jalapeno in ours and the young woman was more than happy to accommodate us. Portion could have been bigger, but it was tasty.

Our main entrees took a long time to arrive. Longer than I think it should have. Didn't time it but I'd guestimate at close to 40 minutes. Glad we ordered an appetizer, we would have gotten a little irritated otherwise. Felt bad for the people waiting for tables looking at us, wondering if we were just taking up a table and not eating while they were anxious to sit and eat. Our table was near the bar and entrance, so we felt the eyes on us. I ordered the Buffalo Short Ribs in Red Chiles and my wife ordered their Carne Asada entree. Her Carne Asada was delicious and a winner. They nailed that piece of meat. My Buffalo was good, not great. Texture of the meat was off to my taste buds. The sauce it sat in was good and frankly the reason I ordered it as I was eager for New Mexican chiles. I'd have to say I'd order the Carne Asada again, but not the Buffalo at $24 dollars.

So we had a pleasant meal here, and it was nice to get away from higher prices in Boulder. We also saw that there is large Mexican population in Longmont with PLENTY of small Mexican eateries wherever we drove in town. Guessing you could get some great Mexican food for little money in Longmont, in the same way in certain neighborhoods in Miami you find great cheap Mexican food, much better than on South Beach, and the Gables.

I would definitely go back to Longmont and explore more. Try some of the local places. Antonio's feels more upscale, and I would recommend to a friend. But I would think they need to do more regional New Mexican food from Taos and Santa Fe to separate themselves more from the many options of Mexican places to eat locally. Just my opinion.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Longmont, Colorado
“Last 2 visits were a disapointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have dined here many times...initially, it was great. Saturday night I took my family, the wait was said to be 20 min so we ordered drinks at the bar and waited, and waited and waited. The place was packed and everyone was working hard (under staffed) so we were OK with it. Other tables were being seated before us so it was apparent we were forgotten. We finally got our table and the service was very slow. We ordered our food and one of the dishes had a hair in it. The wait staff never came to the table to check on us so we delivered the plate to our server. No one ever came to our table to apologize... I went again with a friend on Monday night and it was NOT busy...we were seated and the wait staff never came to our table. My friend went to find our server, she was busy chatting with a co worker and failed to greet us. Service was very slow...we had to get up to refill our own waters. Disappointing, initially I was impressed with Antonio's but no longer...

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sarah M, Owner at Antonios, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
I'm very sorry to hear that you were very disappointed with both visits.
On your visit on saturday night i will say that we handled the situation the best that we could. we apologized for your dish having a hair on it. we never discovered a hair on your dish but I'm not saying that there wasn't one, but what I am saying is that Antonio takes great pride in his cuisine and the presentation on his dishes and takes situations like this very personal and felt very bad.
you stated on your review that your wait time was said to be 20 minutes, well you know we can only estimate the time but not predict. And we did not forget you. you stated that service was very slow, well we we are not a diner and never will be. Antonio's is a very charming restaurant and is a different dining experience. wonderful food, enjoyment, pleasure and relaxation
As for visit on monday I'm really sorry that you were not happy either. I will be bring it to my staffs attention and let them know how important it is to acknowledge every customer that walks in. That surprises me because their usually really great about always greeting customers right away. Again sincerely our apologies.We hope you do come back.
“Wonderful Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Very busy night, so I was surprised how after ordering the food, it came out in a very reasonable amount of time, hot, fresh, and perfectly cooked. It was a chicken mole special and obviously a great recipe that was very well prepped and served. Found the staff and management inviting and accommodating. Prices were (overall value) low and they had a local microbrew that was very good.
Excellent place, highly recommend and I wish them all the best in their Longmont location.

• Visited November 2013
Longmont, Colorado
“Wow! Great Food... very slowly prepared...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I took my wife out for dinner, craving Mexican food last night... the buzzzzz surrounding Antonios on Main St. is gaining volume in Longmont so we went to try it out for our first time.

The low-down is Great food/enchiladas - I ordered w/Christmas Tree sauce (half red/half green chili) so as to test both. My wife had the Mole enchilada (Thursday night special).

We arrived at 5:40 w/o reservation and had the chagrin-full honor of seeing a couple who had entered just ahead of us escorted to a free table... we waited 30 min for the next (*note to self "get reservations even if you think you'll be arriving 'early'"). The place was PACKED and noisy.

After being seated we munched fresh tortilla chips served in a rather over-sized still warm basket w/a side of the best red chili salsa I have ever eaten. (Slow, deep burn of chili pepper which faded away over 3-4 minutes w/o making you grab for the beer/water in pain, I just grabbed my beer because it was served icy-cold in a true frosted mug...ahhh perfect).

As any good husband would do I pre-positioned myself so my wife would not be forced to watch the football game from the over-the-bar television...(2 TV's, one w/football, one w/rally cars) good thing as we would not even get our appetizer Nachos for another 30 min... mmmh... lots of waitress action refilling water glasses throughout the restaurant's patrons... not much food leaving the kitchen at all...

Looking back into the open kitchen setting there were 2 cooks scrambling about. At approx. 6:30 2 more cooks started as well and the food began to flow.

The nachos were AWESOME, beautifully presented, lovingly topped w/my choice of a piece of shredded pork, flavored w/an unbelievable swirl of melding spices and tastes. We needed extra tortillas to muck-down the toppings and left the plate unnaturally scrubbed clean.

Then the enchiladas... Mine were 2 tightly rolled tortillas filled w/well-spiced shredded beef smothered w/spicy red and still spicier green chili sauce w/fresh flavorful cheese swimming on top. Generous sides of phenomenal slow-cooked beans and red Spanish rice complimented the enchiladas... most striking was the intensely personal flavors of each vs. the bland "dumb-plate fillers" experience of other "chain" Mexican restaurants in our vicinity.

Too stuffed for dessert I asked our waitress if the hour-long wait for our was "typical," hoping she would say it was just do to a one-time shortage of kitchen staffing or an unfortunate "big-party-just-seated-in-front-of-us" scenario... Her response caught me off balance as she turned tiger-like defensive and gave me a 2 minute gushing of how in HER opinion the kitchen staff was doing great and the preparation of the Mole took 1 1/2 months and the salsa took all day to create and they had the "Whole Restaurant" to cook for(?) and then even something about McDonalds if you want to see animals slaughtered??? WOW! she even maintained a smile whilst her voice and eyes breathed fire!
Now as a customer how do you respond to "waitress on the edge?" As you can possibly tell by this review I am scarcely one for lack of words but this is one time I simply sat back and watched w/wide-eyed wonder... It was kind of a cool show...

Bottom line will we be back?
-Given the understanding that it will take an hour to see a plate of food in front of me the answer is "definitely yes"... but given the lonnnggg preparation time probably not very often... and when I do go back I will definitely bring a bag of popcorn for the after-meal waitress show... ENJOY!

$47 for 2 enchilada plates, happy hour drink (1) and nachos.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Longmont, Colorado, United States
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We love Antonio's!!! Everything we have tried has been exceptional. Very high quality food prepared with attention to detail. The mole, 2 different kinds, is incredible!

• Visited October 2013