“Didn't stay there but worth a look” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
BOOK DIRECT & SAVE
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Leadville
Colorado Springs
“Didn't stay there but worth a look”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had time before the train ride up the mountain and it was time well spent to look at the lobby and first floor of antiques and things to buy. We didn't buy anything but liked looking at the clothes and hats for sale. We looked at the Stetson cowboy hat, didn't buy it, and didn't know we were to look for how many stars it had. A saloon style staff person greeted us in the lobby which was a treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Weatherford, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Delaware. The rooms were clean and comfortable with antiques everywhere. There is no elevator, so be prepared to take luggage up a long flight of stairs. The breakfast offered had many choices. We were given lots of information about the town and places to eat.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Parkville, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Right across the street from a bar that's loud. You can hear every movement by anybody on the hotel.

Pretty miserable nights sleep.

It is on the main street and close access to restaurants and stores. Downside is its on the main street and lots of noise.

• Stayed September 2012
La Marque, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

When I first contemplated staying at the hotel I only reviewed the first page of the reviews: my mistake was not reading the following review pages. I could write a book on its issues but will keep it concise: 1) upon arrival both bulbs were out above the sink (only sink is in bedroom) and that area was too dark to even brush your teeth. Had to call the desk (about 9:30 P.M. right after my arrival) on the room phone (that is #2) which sounded like we were talking through a Vietnam firefight (static, background noise, etc. which phone condition continued each day). 3) Desk clerk's demeanor was not the classic "can-do" attitude. I followed him to the "bulb storage/supply room" and he did go to the room and replaced both the bulbs: they were both blown out. I then called him back within minutes 4) to mention that the room has a desk but no chair in the room: he advised me to just get one of the antiques that are lined up along the halls and bring that to the room--which I did (??). 5) The next morning my wife (and I) experienced torture and surprise when taking a shower as while you are taking a shower in a comfortably selected water temperature it suddenly gets ice cold, volcano hot, then back to the original selection. I asked the desk clerk (a lady) to please check this out while my wife and I were to be away from the hotel. I called her back when we returned and she advised me that they could not find anything wrong with that room's water system (??). She did offer for us to change rooms; however, considering all the moving in and carrying our luggage and all the corrections made to this point we stayed put and suffered for another two (2) days. After my stay I read a review that also stated this same water problem. 6) Ice, if you need it you must go to the desk and ask for it (we were on the third floor). 7) We were advised in advance about no elevators. I run six (6) miles three (3) times weekly and carrying luggage to the third floor (even to the second floor) was incredibly onerous. BTW, the staircase is not the normal slight incline of modern facilities: these are truly a travail to climb--the hotel does not employ bellhops/valets to assist with luggage or anything: you are totally on your own. 8) No hairdryers in the room: better bring one. 9) No ironing board or iron in room: we asked about that and were provided the only board and iron they had in the hotel. 10) Price and "up-front" payment policy. Price of $139.00 per night is way too high for such quality. The payment in advance is a practice that is indeed unfair. Why should guests have to pay "in-full" before they arrive: perhaps many in the past experienced issues as noted in reviews and decided to jump ship and leave early? Anyway, we would have probably done so but we had already paid in full. As for the positive side most everyone (other than mentioned herein) were polite and accomodating; however, the conditions mentioned went beyond their scope. I will continue to visit the Leadville area but we learned our lesson on where not to reside. The Delaware Hotel is a nice place to visit: visit only.

Room Tip: Would not recommend based upon my overall experience.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Whitehouse, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was a delightful place to stay. It has been refurbished, but still has retained the character of the 100 plus year old hotel. It is full of antiques, all for sale. The front desk staff persons were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. But be warned, this is not a 4 or 5 star new hotel. You must want to be adventurous and able to climb stairs...there is no elevator for the 3 story building.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I enjoy staying at older "historic" hotels as we travel around. The Delaware is certainly unique and has plenty of things to see. If you are looking for a five star hotel then you don't need to stay here - YOU don't fit this lifestyle. I do hope your knees and hips are in good condition if you are staying on the third floor as there is no elevator and the stairs are steep.

You are treated well, the restaurant has a great breakfast and you are in the middle of downtown and can walk to just about everything you want to find - which there is plenty to find. It is not a resort hotel but it is a neat old hotel and can be fun.

Room Tip: Unless you just miss your "stair stepper" try to get a room on the second floor not third.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

By European standards or AAA standards - it's probably only a 2 star/diamond. But take the historical significance and location into consideration, it is a 4-5 star! We had a room with a tiny shower - no hairdryer - mismatched furniture - old workable, TV, but it was wonderful! Once you park your car, you never have to take it out again to go shopping, eating or drinking. If you are in town for a race event, there is no better place to stay. It is clean, comfortable and safe. We would stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Delaware Hotel? Share your experiences!