“Boring train ride” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. Louis, MO
“Boring train ride”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

My family and I recently had a fabulous trip to Colorado, but one disappointment was definitely the Leadville train. We were so excited to sit in the open air car to enjoy the weather and scenery. When there was a view, it was lovely, but quite a bit of the time there are nothing but trees right next to the train track on both sides. And the view was basically the same one the whole time. The first half of the train ride, you ride backwards in a half circle I believe for 11 miles. Then the train goes back the same way it came from, with a 15 minute stop at an old water tower for pictures. There was a road down in the valley we could have driven through and seen the same scenery and saved our $100+ for a family of 4. Also, we were not able to make out a word the conductor said. We were expecting quite a bit of narration on the 2 1/2 hour trip, but I don't believe the Conducter spoke more than 15 sentences the entire trip. At one point, the conductor said something, and a lot of people jumped up to see something. We did the same, thinking maybe it was some sort of wildlife. Believe it or not, it was just a person walking his dog. Whoopee! Several people fell asleep on the ride. Also, the inside had a very strong urine odor, and this is right by where the refreshments are sold. I realize that the train is old, but if they can deodorize johnny on the spots these days, they should be able to do something on the train too. My advice would be to try another train or see Colorado by car! Sorry, Leadville!