“STOP!!!!! READ THIS REVIEW!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cow Palace Inn/ Rodeway Inn

You added The Cow Palace Inn/ Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
The Cow Palace Inn/ Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 North Main Street, Lamar, CO 81052 (Formerly Cow Palace Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Lamar
“STOP!!!!! READ THIS REVIEW!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took a cross country road trip recently and stayed in several different hotels...this is the only review I felt compelled to write.
When I googled hotels near our current location Cow Palace Inn was an option. I programmed the GPS and we headed that way. I read some of the reviews for the Palace and I must say, I wasn't expecting much.

BOY, WAS I WRONG!!!!! Or should I say, these negative reviews are WAY OFF!!!

On our way there, we did smell the packing plant... It was pretty gross, but what would I expect being in cow country? I didn't get even a whiff once we were there. They had ample parking, lots of lights, and it felt very secure. (some hotels went to, I worried about our safety) We were greeted by two very nice young ladies at the front desk who were very helpful. I asked about the kitchen being open and they said "we usually close at eight, but we can take care of you." It was 5 minutes or less to close and they served us anyway. :) I have to say that the food prepared by the chef is honestly some of the best food we have ever eaten. Not one ingredient was out of a can or frozen!! I couldn't believe it! We were beyond satisfied with our meals, the ambiance was cozy and
our server was great!!
After dinner we wanted to spend some time in the hot tub, (2,000 miles of driving does a number on your back) the tub and deck looked brand new! They have the hot tub and pool in this huge atrium full of live plants and rocks and paths... It's awesome!! Then we were off to bed! Up to this point, at the other places we stayed, we didn't get a great night's sleep. Probably our fault though because we have a tempur pedic bed at home and NOTHING comes close, especially in hotels. That is unless your staying at the palace.... The have the most comfy beds we have ever slept on away from home! (I read in one of the other reviews that they have brand new euro pedic beds in all the rooms.)

Well, I could go on and on.... I didn't mention the ice cream parlor (creamiest ice cream I have ever tasted!!) or the bar or all of the cool history on the walls, but I did feel I owed it to the staff of the Palace to write a truthful review. I have no idea where the people with negative reviews stayed, but it wasn't at the Cow Palace we stayed in, that's for sure!!!!

-M

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Golden, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Clean, spacious, and just fine. The kids really enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub. Would stay there again on another hunting trip. Yes there are feedlots nearby, the entire town of Lamar can smell it regardless where you stay if the wind blows right.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room, faces into the atrium as opposed to opening the door to the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

A group of us from throughout the State of Colorado descended upon Lamar for a 3 day meeting. Due to our need for meeting space we were booked at the Cow Palace and after reading some Trip Advisor reviews my expectations were very low.

Upon arrival I checked out my room prior to accepting, and found it newly remodeled with paint, fixtures and a new bed which turned out to be one of the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept in. The check in person was friendly and accommodating. That’s when my expectations started changing.

Along with the good accommodations, we had several meals at the Cow Palace restaurant and again I wasn’t expecting much. How wrong I was. The cheese burger on Ciabatta bread was delicious. The steak was melt-in-your mouth and even breakfast was over the top with a great green chili. My colleagues talked at length about how good the food was, and when we had the opportunity to go to a different restaurant for lunch the gang decided to stay put at the Cow Palace restaurant.

Also, the staff we dealt with for our meeting space were friendly and very helpful – always asking if we needed anything and offering suggestions for meeting set-up, breaks and snacks. When we had a small mishap with a leaking water jug, the staff were quick to rectify the situation and had a replacement within minutes averting a big mess.

I highly recommend the Cow Palace Inn as a great place to rest with wonderful food and friendly staff. The current owner has put a lot of effort into upgrades and enhancements that will most likely leave the new visitor, like me, pleasantly surprised!

Room Tip: Just check with the front desk staff - they are very helpful in matching you with a good room depend...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Cow Palace is an interesting place... The lights on the outside remind me of tacky, old-school Vegas. The decor on the inside is a bit depressing. You don't really get a sense of arrival when you enter the lobby. Instead you're left thinking... is this the correct entrance? ... and not really sure where to go. Inside the restaurant you get the same boxy feeling of... where should I go now? And you can never really feel settled. The food was your typical down-home meal that's easily delicious but not healthy in any way. The waitstaff were friendly. Nothing wrong with the restaurant, but nothing spectacular except boasting rights of the experience of eating at the "Cow Palace".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Westminster
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The room was clean and well taken care of, however was awoken by housekeeping early in the morning wanting to clean my room, also received extremely poor service in the dining room for dinner. We were then woken up early by housekeeping wanting to clean our room! Not a place I will stay again and never will I recommend it to family, friends or enemy's!!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, ask for an inside room, the room we were in was an outside room and very...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DAT52, Owner at The Cow Palace Inn/ Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that we did not take good care of you during your recent stay with us.
We are first and foremost a Hotel and appreciate your acknowledging your comfort for sleeping.
We have talked to our housekeeping staff and would appreciate it if you would not mind calling us direct on our cellphone 303-929-7900. We also spoke to the dining room staff and again would appreciate you calling us so that we can discuss your thoughts in person and hopefully be able to discuss how to somehow allow us to have a second chance.
Lamar, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Thank you to the Lamar Roadway Cow Palace Inn in Lamar for the awesome week-end. The Lamar " fifty-plus year" reunion was a week-end of renewal of friends in a friendly admosphere with excellent service from the staff. The food was outstanding and presented beautifully. Good luck to the "new" Cow Palace, we will look forward to our next reunion. Carolyn Peyton Chair-person of the "50-plus reunion."

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your recents comments on TripAdvisor. It was a lot of fun working with you and your committee on your recent reunion. We are so happy that you enjoyed the food and the accommodations. We truly hope that you will allow us to be your facility choice again for your future reunions.
Our best personal regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews, we were a little reluctant to stay at the Cow Palace Inn. However, seeing that all of the beds were new, we thought we would go ahead and give it a try. We're glad we did! When I first sat down on the bed, I though on no, this isn't good, but laying down it was WONDERFUL! My husband and I both had a very good night's sleep - not often done when we stay at motels. The room was spacious and had a microwave, fridge, and iron. There's only a couple reason we didn't give 5 stars. The first was that the water pressure was a little low in the shower and the drain was a little slow. The second was that there was only one caf and one decaf coffee packet (each was just for one person) and when my husband went to the front desk, they only had one caf packet left. Picky? Maybe, but it's something thats easily remedied, and lots of people like coffee first thing in the morning. Evenso, we would definitely stay here the next time we're overnighting in Lamar.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments on TripAdvisor. We are very interested in your thoughts and suggestions. We have notified our housekeeping staff about the packets of coffee and have notified our maintenance person. We hope that you indeed will be our guests again and we can assure you that you will have a better experience.
Thank you again for your comments.
Doug and Lee, Owners

Been to The Cow Palace Inn/ Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!