“Oops; changed my mind” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Lamar
Denver, Colorado
“Oops; changed my mind”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Last year I gave this place a good review. A recent stay there has changed my mind about it, unfortunately:

The Lead-Up
Driving between Texas and Colorado. Stayed here before and thought it was good so I decided to stop again.

The Particulars
The older couple that seemed to manage the place when I was there the first time are nowhere to be found (i.e., I didn't see them), suggesting a change in management.

I requested a nonsmoking room and was given a room that reeked from prior years of smoking. The toilet took three flushes to, uh, do its job. The knob on the fan/AC/heater which set the temperature range between hot and cold just kept turning (you couldn't set it adequately from one end of another). I moved rooms. The second room smelled some, too, and had a giant, wadded-up strand of long hair dried on the side of the tub (the cleaners forgot their glasses that day?). The stopper in the sink wouldn't come back up once you pushed it down, so the sink filled up with yucky water when I brushed my teeth and washed my face for bed (it eventually drained, slowly). One of the wooden bedposts was wobbly and probably would have fallen off if I hadn't caught it.

Outside my room, across from the parking spaces for the rooms, was an outdoor shed-like area and trash bins. In this area two riding lawn-mowers, one with a conspicuous flat-tire, were "parked" and a 90s-era big-screen TV was sitting there, just out in the open. It looked really trashy.

The grounds were well-kept (mowed/trimmed) and the staff I interacted with were pleasant-enough. Unfortunately, this doesn't make up for things that really don't take much to improve upon.

Bottom Line
For almost $70/night, I doubt I will stay here again. I can live with outdated furnishings and decor, but I can't live with a noticeable slip in quality.

Room Tip: Ask for one where the toilet works adequately, the sink stopper doesn't get stuck, the nonsmokin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

It is an old hotel. I stayed here for an extended stay and found no problems. It's very basic, but is right next to restaurants and shopping. The bathrooms are tiled in the 1950's style and the tubs are not very deep, if you like to take tub baths this may put you off. There is a playground area out front and it looked like a pool in the summer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had two rooms the nights of 8-10 & 11, 2012. Rooms were clean, linen was clean, AC worked fine in 100 degree weather. Easy access off main street, large parking area that accomodated our truck & trailer. Reasonable room prices. Our check-in was cordial. We will stay there again next trip to Lamar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Firstly, the air conditioner was broken so with 100+ degree weather and an infant that was unacceptable, we asked the manager to fix the ac unit and he jerry rigged it because "the knobs are $15 and I don't want to pay for them." The sheets were filthy with black marks on the pillow cases and cigarette burns on the comforters. There was also a bug infestation! We kindly asked to check out early and agreed to pay half of the original price of the room when the owner himself ran our credit card for the FULL amount cheating and lying to our face after agreeing to charge only half of the cost! Only stay here if you want a cheap room with defective utilities and bugs with lying and cheating management!

• Stayed July 2012
BlueSpruceMotelLamar, General Manager at Blue Spruce Motel, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Guest booked for 3 nights, 4 person and 1 dog. Checked in for only 1 night, 5 Person+baby and 2 Dogs - Well this was not a problem, though she tried to hide extra person and dogs at first.
Since it was reservation, we had alreay kept the AC on and room was cool considering 102 outside. Guest/Kids broke dials and asked me to come with plier, I said knobs cost $15, and I will replace them and not charge you. She insisted I go with plier (something we don't do) I set the AC again on Full Cool, they were happy. Next day at 3pm ( check out time 11am) they said their friend in town can accomodate them and don't need the room, so we said you have to pay for the another day's rent. Not Happy ofcourse. Came to office at 4pm and said - AC was too cool in the morning so we(guest) changed to air and left it there till 4pm - and now wanted the room cool in 5 minutes when outside temp was 105. So now wanted to checkout and didnot want to pay. We insisted that 4pm check out does not qualify for free room, and must pay full rent. She wanted to pay only little and we said it will be full day's rent. Gave one card - declined, gave another card - declined, gave third card went through and was not happy to see full day's rent as they found a place to stay for free with friend. Even before she paid for another day's rent she was swearing, banging my doors, threatening with bad reviews in paper, chamber etc etc etc. Guest (Lady) was so RUDE at one time we were afraid for our safety and almost dialed for cops.
IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD FOR YOUR OWN NEEDS, THEN YOU SHOULD NOT GO OUT AND LOOK FOR FREE STUFF.

Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were clean and the bathroom had retro (clean) pink tiles - cool. The owner was super friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our one night there. If you want something with personality, this is it.

• Stayed March 2012
Derby, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Well I must say I travel 4 days a week in 4 states and I was pleasantly surprised when I got my room here. The room is awesome for the price. You have a full couch, kitchen with everything you need.Great deal for anyone traveling in my opinion!

Room Tip: all rooms have great internet speed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Highlands Ranch, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Old motel, old furniture, dirty, TV remote broken, desk chair leg falling off, lamp shades falling apart, coffee pot broken, closet door missing, could feel every spring in the mattress, no cover over kitchen window and had to go through kitchen to get to bath, thin towels....Windows so dirty that you couldn't see out, dirty dish drainer in kitchen....We reserved for three nights and checked out after one...Had to lean into the door to lock it....Mid service just opened the door and walked in without knocking first....Sorry, can't see what others see in this place.....I can say that the owners are very courteous and helpful, but need to improve the place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
lamarcolorado, Manager at Blue Spruce Motel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Yes, this is an old property and we never claimed that this is new. So it is unfair to compare it with newly built franchises. But our property is well maintained and we make sure everything is in proper working order. Still it is difficult to satisfy personal needs of each individual guests in general.

To answer the complaint, Nothing was broken or dirty. We had guest before and after and no one has reported any such issues. After receiving the review we asked the new guest about such problems and he specifically told us that everything is fine.

Guest did not report any issuse to us while they were here. Anyone would have complained if remote or chair is broken. All door locks are at standard height.

Been to Blue Spruce Motel? Share your experiences!