“Better than expected!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Princeton, Illinois
“Better than expected!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

After reading some rather negative reviews of this location, I had rather low expectations when visiting for a family wedding. While this is not a "new" Sheraton, I found it more than sufficient. It is certainly time for a "face lift" here, but my room was clean and well-maintained. There was no problem with the bathroom shower drain, and we were even allowed to check-in early. (Like at 11:00 a.m. with no problem!) We had a city, rather than mountain view which was not the best, until sunrise. Wow! We watched a beautiful pink sunrise reflected on Downtown Denver. Smashing. The wi-fi was not super fast, but it did work. I am not certain about the regular rates, but the group rate for the wedding was very reasonable. We were in a room directly behind and secondary elevator, and we never once had a problem with noise. (older constriction,thicker walls?) Our biggest complaint was the old-school taupe toilet. It took forever to flush, was loud, and ran for a LONG time. Ugh! The Sheraton logo wall paper must go as well as the brand-themed duvet covers, but the bed was newer and very comfortable. The quality of the sheets was nice. Would this be my first choice in Denver? Probably not. However, we had a nice stay at the group price point.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you? It sounds like you had a nice stay in our hotel and we'll hope to serve you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

After reading TripAdvisor I thought this would be a good stay in Denver with a good location. It was not, the general condition of the hotel is poor and needs to be updated. The bathrooms are disgusting with water backing up in the showers.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
The Sheraton Denver West is immaculately clean and has earned some of the highest scores of any Sheraton in North America for cleanliness. All showers have a push down drain plug that if stepped on; will plug the drain. A simple, second push with one's toe or heal will pop the drain plug right back to the open position.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Me and my husband stayed in one of the suites on the club floor for our wedding night. When we arrived at the hotel, our room was not ready despite asking for early check-in in advance. The front desk person simply told me to come back later and when I asked for a password to use a computer in the lobby while I was waiting, I was told I could only get a password once I check-in, which makes little sense. I did not want to simply sit in the lobby considering hotel was undergoing some renovations around the check-in area and was dusty and went to get lunch outside. I came back again close to check-in time and the room was still not ready, only then another front desk employee (or manager?) offered to put me in a regular room until the suite is cleaned. I had the wedding party and vendors coming up to help me prepare for the wedding and not having a room ready almost caused me to be late to my own wedding.

When I finally was able to check in to the suite, I was not able to open the blinds in the bedroom because they were stuck and had to call the maintenance. Maintenance promptly fixed the issue by opening the blinds but not fixing the railing, so after they left I was unable to close the blinds.

The suite itself consists of two rooms - a living room and a bedroom with a jacuzzi in the bedroom and a separate bathroom and shower. The room is very nicely designed though certainly shows signs of wear and tear, for instance, there were multiple stains on the carpet and cracks on the walls. All the suits are on the club floor that includes a club lounge with complimentary breakfast and wine reception in the evening.

The hotel also features a very well-equipped gym, indoor pool, and a hot tub, probably the highlights of our stay there. It is conveniently located close to several stores and restaurants and Lakewood and has a nice view of the mountains.

This was my second stay and the property and putting aside the need for renovations, I am not sure I would stay there again considering how unhelpful and unfriendly the front desk person was.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Congratulations on your recent marriage. We wish you many years of happiness together.

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee an early check in and are sure you were told that when you made the request. Some people, especially when they are staying in suites, like to stay longer so that they can enjoy their hotel experience to the fullest; so we cannot possibly guarantee an early check in. Our check out time is 1pm so we weren't able to accommodate your 11am check in request. There is no reason for us to keep you waiting maliciously and we would have given you the suite if it was ready. We're sorry that you took this personally.

The Sheraton Denver West experienced major flooding damage on July 13th during one of the many of the state's unusual, torrential rain storms we had this summer. Repairs were necessary and we are sorry that you were one of the few people affected by the activity in the lobby. We are happy to say that ALL of the repairs were completed in early September and our hotel is more beautiful than ever.

We are delighted to announce the renovation plans for all 4 of our suites. The owner of our hotel was in earlier this week and unveiled "story boards" showing some of the most upscale suites in Denver.

Best wishes for happy journeys together,
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Whoever is lucky enough to stay at this facility will be very glad. The front desk team were ALL great. ! They went above the ordinary needs even during a large convention!! Josh and Jamie were extra delightful . I was here for many days and I MUST applaud the whole team of employees for their caring attitude with all of our group. Thank you everyone of you. !!! Ava.

Room Tip: I asked for a mountain view and loved it.
Green Features: Its great to have a choice of mindfulness of saving water
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you very much Ava. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay so much and we appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your great experience. We will be sure to recognize Josh and Jamie for their displays of hospitality.

We'll hope to serve you again soon and wish you great travel experiences in the mean time.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The customer service was top notch at this hotel, we felt so welcomed! Everyone we encountered were friendly and smiling. We really enjoyed our room, the mountain view and the restaurant. And the fitness center and pool were very nice!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing the Sheraton Denver West and for taking the time to tell us that you enjoyed your stay. We're glad that you appreciated our hotel, location and service; and hope that we'll have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Best wishes for more great travel experiences in the meantime!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My company reserved this hotel for a conference. Upon check in they want you to "authorize" a riduculous amount for incidentals. So that caught me off guard. During my stay, they charged me for an an additional room. After I saw the debit from my account, I immediately called the hotel and the front desk said it would be refunded to me and it was an error on their part. I waited a week and asked about my refund, someone in accounting then says that I was charged for the room because I reserved it and I was a no show, even though I was already there. I tried to dispute the charge several times and the best they could say was "sorry". I would NOT stay at this hotel, customer service and relations were at an all time low compared to other hotels I've stayed at.

Room Tip: Dont use a debit card or you may get charged twice
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry that this guest had difficulty with their stay. We have a large sign at the front desk that reminds guests to use credit cards instead of debit cards for their hotel stay (most hotels have this same sign) because when guests use debit cards; a financial hold is put on their card for potential charges (long distance telephone, pay per view movies, spa services, restaurant and/or lounge charges, etc., etc.). Of course if these charges are not applied to their room charge; the funds are released. Unfortunately, financial institutions (not the hotel) will sometimes take days to apply the credit back.

A guest using a credit card on the other hand will usually not even be aware of the financial hold.

This guest booked a second room that was not consumed. When guests book a flexible rate they are allowed to cancel up to 6pm the day of arrival (more than fair) and this guest did not. We are still trying to help this guest; but this review is not fair.
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We recently contacted the Sheraton as our daughter was getting married and we wanted to book a room for the Bride and Groom for 2 nights. We also inquired about setting aside a block of rooms for guests (I think this is done quite frequently and should be pretty straight forward ). In contacting the local hotel on two occasions, they mandated that we go though the reservation system even though we told them we were not booking any rooms other then for the bride and groom. The process was very confusing and we at no time thought we were reserving any additional rooms, just having a block set aside for guests of the wedding party. We also never received any confirmation via e-mail or any cancelation policy as they had entered our e-mail address wrong. They did have our phone number and after the e-mails kicked back to them they did not call us. The bottom line is that the hotel ended up charging us for a block of 10 rooms. We did actually have 6 guest stay there and did get credit eventually, but are still getting charged for 4 rooms. Bottom line, beware, after sending guest to the hotel, they are thanking us by charging us for rooms we never thought we booked and despite not having received any confirmation or cancelation policy they refuse to adjust the remaining charges. I guess the $1200 in room charges they were able to collect as a result of our booking the bride and groom suite and the charges for the other guest rooms are not appreciated. Last stay for us at any Starwood hotel or resort.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Unfortunately this guest tried to take advantage of a reservation system. This guest tried to go around typical group booking processes and instead made 9 reservations under duplicate names, guaranteed the reservations with a credit card, and then forgot to cancel the reservations by 6pm the day of arrival (we have a very forgiving cancellation policy for this type of reservation). Rooms were reserved and left empty because they had been reserved by this guest and the hotel suffered financial damages.

Our accounting team was very generous in refunding 6 of the 9 unused room reservations because they wanted to help and we feel like we have gone above and beyond at this point.

Been to Sheraton Denver West Hotel? Share your experiences!