“A world away from the hussle and bussle of other vacation stays” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tarryall River Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake George
Tarryall River Ranch
Save Saved
You added Tarryall River Ranch to your Saves list
27001.5 County Road 77, Lake George, CO 80827   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lake George
Letchworth, England, United Kingdom
“A world away from the hussle and bussle of other vacation stays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I recently went to Tarryall with my wife and 15 year old daughter. We had a fantastic time and most of all loved the peace and tranquility of the mountains and the fact that you only see 40 people in total for a whole week. You can sit on your cabins porch and watch the humming birds drink and listen to the wind russling through the trees. There's plenty of activities to do, horse riding is the primary focus being a dude ranch, however you can also fly fish and go on a days white water rafting excursion. I recommend a guided trout fishing half day with Robert Younghanz, a fascinating insight to the science of fly fishing from a man known on TV as the bug guy. I caught nothing on my own and 6 trout with Robert. My wife tells me that the horse riding was excellent and there are many choices of rides each day from 2 hours, half day or full day, also rides for you ger children, teens and those wishing to trot or lope. During our stay a lad with special needs stayed and he was able to ride with his own wrangler in the schooling ring and then a small trail, ensuring he was safe and had a good time. The Tesch family are your hosts and they live on the ranch, mum, dad 4 sons and their families all play a part in the operation of the ranch and they are augmented with college students working their summer break. All are first class, very polite, helpful and good fun. The food is excellent and all home cooked, it makes a nice change from resort food and all meal times are a family affair. There is also entertainment in the evenings where you can do line dancing, barn dancing and listen to a western singer. May sound like a nightmare for the bloke that doesn't dance but I can honestly say its great fun, all the staff and guests pitch in and no one is embarrassed by missing a step or five. The singer was absolutely brilliant and again I was pleasantly surprised by this when my first thought wasnt as positive about going to see a cowboy singer. I can't recommend this ranch highly enough and the variety of activities available made it a great fit for our family where I only wanted to ride once and my wife and daughter rode every day.

A few tips;

It does get cold in the evening and early morning so do pack a jumper,or tracksuit top etc.
It can rain albeit briefly so worth taking a waterproof jacket to tie onto your saddle in case it rains whilst you are out on a horse. Not a problem whilst on the ranch.
There is no alcohol on site, so if you want a beer or wine with your dinner bring your own.
Most evenings the entertainment finishes around 10pm and you are tired so people tend to go to bed, so no need for party size quantities of booze.
If you are not used to riding and have man legs not designed for sitting in a saddle, it hurts, my advice is do a little riding locally if you can just to get your muscles tuned into stretching.
Take your own shower gel and shampoo.
No need to bring swimming towels, they provide them.
No need to bring riding boots as there are loads on site you can rent for a minimal charge.
The ranch operates a Sunday to Saturday program, our travel agent didn't realise this so we cut short by a day, my advice is do the full week, you end with a rodeo and ribbons and my wife is still going on about missing it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We found Tarryall on trip advisor on a week trip to Denver. The drive was gorgeous but it didn't really prepare us to what was awaiting us in Tarryall. The ranch was beautiful, they take excellent care of the horses. Our 2 year old loved the pony ride (which wasn't the 5 minute pony ride at other places). Can't wait to go back when our son is older and with his cousin and the entire family. The food was also just delicious, every single one of the meals were top notch. Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have just returned from 4 wonderful days at the Tarryall River Ranch, a dude ranch in southern colorado. Our 3 10 year old grandkids had the best time horseback riding, playing with the goats in the petting pen, line dancing with the wranglers and just relaxing! The Tesch family are truly an outstanding group of people, all committed to making sure that their guests have a stress-free time. There were enough staff for us to go on private rides and also with the group. Good food, lovely new cabin and such helpful staff- leaving with wonderful memories!

Room Tip: We had a new cabin with 2 bedrooms- perfect for the 5 of us.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from a half-week stay at Tarryall Ranch. What an amazing place with amazing people. The Tesch family has created a dream spot for any vacationer. From the delicious food, the many activities to choose from, the great cabin accommodations and the wonderful horses, we can't wait to go back.
We will definitely return next year and spend the entire week.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

My 15 year old son said he liked the day ride to box canyon and climbing on the rocks. My 13 year old daughter loved the line dancing. It was evident by her laughing and mile wide smile. My wife like the family atmosphere meals that was 5 star. As the Dad I liked the seeing my whole family really enjoying them selves with old fashioned fun. Our 5 year old gave us his stamp of approval when he feel a sleep at dinner.
The Leonardis - from Hawaii

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

I don't even know were to start. Everything was beyond what we thought it would be in the best possible sense. We stayed as bed and breakfast guests. My husband is still talking about the food and the grill pit. He is also telling everyone about the best strawberry cheesecake he has ever had. The staff is amazing. After dinner one night they stayed and talked to us for hrs. We had so much fun with them. Felt like a family reunion and all your fav people were there and none of the ones you didnt like. We will definitely be back and planning on bringing more people with us. To Kevin, Ms Lisa and family thank you and may God bless you with wonderful guests and no vacancy. Ps Kody I have a sister I think you should meet.

• Stayed May 2012
TarryallRiverRanch, Public Relations Manager at Tarryall River Ranch, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words! We sure had a great time with you both at the ranch and hope to see you again soon! We will make sure to let Kody know about your sister :) Thank you again. You both are wonderful!
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I spent New Year's weekend at Tarryall River Ranch with three other couples. We all agreed that is was the best New Year's ever. The Tesch family is very welcoming and the accommodations were perfect for eight friends celebrating the holiday together. All seven meals were wonderful and the hayride was beautiful. We have visited the ranch in the summer with our grandchildren twice and loved it. A visit in the winter with just the grown-ups was just as memorable. Warm cozy cabins with wood-burning fireplaces, spectacular views, acres to hike, horses to pet, and no cooking. What's not to love? Thank you to the Tesch family for making this a memorable celebration for us.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tarryall River Ranch? Share your experiences!