“"Unique Hotel with outstanding restaurant"” 4 of 5 stars

La Veta Inn
103 West Ryus Avenue, La Veta, CO 81055   |
Ranked #4 of 6 La Veta B&B and Inns
Littleton, Colorado
“"Unique Hotel with outstanding restaurant"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed at the La Veta Inn in October. 2013 and enjoyed it so much we went again a few days later. Each stay we had a different room and discovered that the quaint rooms were uniquely decorated with a rustic theme. The rooms were clean. quiet and the beds comfortable. There is a lovely courtyard where you can eat or just enjoy the ambience. A small game area offered entertainment for children as well as adults and was provided free. A park was located right across the street as well. We ate breakfast and dinner at the Inn. The food was terrific with the Shrimp Scampi definitely deserving of a 5 Star and the Mexican food Fiest (all you can eat) was wonderful. Our meals came with a basket of home made bread which was delicious. The restaurant offered a very cozy, relaxed atmosphere. The service was a little slow but we took the time to soak up our surroundings. A full service bar seemed to be the gathering place for the locals. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We definitely are looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: I would stay in the suites. They are large and have more amenities.
Kurt R, Owner at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and to acknowledge how much we appreciated having you stay with us. After a long, difficult year for us, with low turnout to La Veta, your review was refreshing and a boost to my spirits. As you know our staff works extremely hard to care for our guests and we hope you will come stay with us again very soon. As a special thanks please mention to Dave that the owner offered you 25% off your next stay. I hope you have a chance to take advantage of it. - Kurt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Danville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed at the La Veta Inn in November 2013 and really enjoyed my stay. The room was clean and warm. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant had live music and candles on all the tables gave a great atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kurt R, Manager at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Kathryn, we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in these parts.
Parker, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while we attended the Octoberfest, 2013. What a mistake! First of all, the hotel was very much under staffed! The room was comfortable but the bath was pretty run down looking! Not sure if the lack of water pressure was a municipal issue or if it was a problem at the hotel but the shower was barely a trickle of water! Took 20 minutes to get enough water out of the shower head to get the shampoo out of my hair. The following morning we went down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast, which the website said was included in the cost of the room. The waitress seemed to have no idea what we were talking about! she said that if we had been using something like a Groupon or if we were part of a tour group, then breakfast was included but the normal room cost did not include breakfast. I pointed out that the room descriptions specifically mentioned that breakfast was included so she comped breakfast on Saturday morning. Had a nice day at the Octoberfest although everything shut down at 6 so there wasn't much to do in La Veta on a Saturday night. When we got back to our room we were very surprised to find that the room had not been cleaned. When we asked the clerk about this she said that they didn't have enough staff to clean the rooms. But she did give us some fresh towels. Now the really bad part. We checked out the next morning and got our receipt for a two night stay. But when I checked my credit card account a couple of days later I was very surprised to see that I had been charged twice. I have made repeated communications to the hotel and they responded a couple of times with a "we'll take care of it" response but now, over 5 weeks later, nothing has been done to reverse the extra charge. I have filed a dispute on the extra charge with my credit card company so hopefully they can get this straightened out! Anyway, if you are going to La Veta, Colorado, I would recommend staying ANYWHERE else but the La Veta Inn!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt R, Guest Relations Manager at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
We do run the hotel with a small staff in our offseason and we did get quite busy during Oktoberfest having to pull our staff to help with the crowd. We do work very hard to accommodate all of our guests with whatever we can help with. We have refunded this guest. They were accidentally double charged due to a double booking. We have offered the guest a free stay due to their inconvenience. Since October we have had our hot water heating system undergo serious repairs and all available rooms do have hot water with pressure. We apologize to this guest that their stay was not more enjoyable.
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I attended the 2013 Octoberfest in LaVeta, CO and made reservations to stay at the LaVeta Inn. I had an amazing time. I stayed in suite 13 and not only was I very comfortable but I was attended to by the nicest staff who made sure my stay was top notch. It was indeed. I had some family and friends come to town and we enjoyed visiting up at the full service bar and restaurant and relaxed by the fireplace on the patio out back. It was so relaxing and enjoyable that I cant wait to return. The beauty that surrounds LaVeta is one of a kind and every person should experience it.The LaVeta Inn and its staff( I cant remember everyone's name) but especially Dave and Wes are again top notch and great assets to the Inn. I would recommend the LaVeta Inn to all.It is one of the most enjoyable places I have ever stayed and will definately go back in the near future.-Serenity Ozzello from Amarillo Texas.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kurt R, Owner at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello Serenity, Thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay in La Veta. We all hope to see you again very soon.
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This facility has not been maintained. The room was a suite but didn't even have a glass in what appeared to be a kitchen area, the wall heaters were missing the front cover and the control knobs were missing. The bed skirts looked like they had large bites of them. There was a TV but didn't have the cable box. There were no outdoor lighting on the second floor,

It was difficult to get any help.

It is beyond me how this place could pass any of the inspections that are performed for hotels. The use of extension cords and questionable plugs you would think that the place could easily go up in smoke.

Neat town! A shame the Inn seems to be the joke of the town residents.

Kurt R, Owner at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy yourself during your stay with us. I hope we get an opportunity to show you a better experience in the future. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to La Veta.
Hereford, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to Oktoberfest for the last four years. We have always stayed here. Obviously the owner no longer cares about the conditions in his hotel. The hotel was severely under staffed. The staff was very friendly but could not attend to everything that was needed to keep guests needs taken care of. We stayed two nights and our room was never cleaned. The whole place was filthy, the carpet was so dirty we had to wear our shoes the whole time. The bathtub was peeling so bad that i was afraid to use it for fear of catching something. It seemed like the whole place was very unprepared for the amount of people that attend Oktoberfest. In the past, we have enjoyed the courtyard as it was clean and well maintained. This time it was filthy and full of dirty junk. No entertainment was scheduled for Saturday night, that was disappointing since there has always been one in the past. The food in the restaurant was very expensive and not up to par. Not even extra cups to have coffee. When I asked the staff what had happened to this once awesome hotel, I was told that the owner lives in Canada and rarely comes to attend to his business. I was also told they were not provided with enough money to buy the cleaning supplies needed or to pay the staff. So very sad as this was so awesome in the past. Such a shame for this little historic town. Finally, when I went to check out I was shocked at the amount I had to pay for this shabby place. Needless to say, we won't be back next year.

Kurt R, Owner at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello Raelene, I do appreciate your taking your time to write such a thorough review about your stay with us. We have had a very difficult year with the fires in the spring and we've struggled to keep staff in this remote town. Our staff is almost always warm and helpful and we're fortunate to have such hardworking and caring people on our staff.

I hope you give us a chance to take better care of you the next time you visit La Veta.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Sorry about the rating..., my wife and I gladly give the staff 4-5 stars! The hotel however was a disappointment.
My wife and I booked the Diane Broce suite for two nights but cancelled the second night due to the following....The room itself while old and charming was dirty to the point that we immediately went to the market and bought an armload of cleaners and disinfectants to cover and clean everything enough to make it passable for the night. The bathroom was the worst due to mildew, smell and a shower drain with a huge hair clog sticking out as well as dirty washcloths hanging on the valve and showerhead (we also never did get any hot water during our stay no matter how long we let it run). There are very few outlets so using your laptop will have to be done in a rotation of unplugging something in the room or kitchenette unless you just need to log on quickly but the wifi provided was slow and spotty at best so I finally got an opportunity to pull my car up to the wall outside the room (parking is sparse near the back rooms so you can’t count on this as an option) to use my phone I needed the car charger and the external antenna as a hot spot to get reliable service. The room TV (lucky that we don't watch TV besides news anyway) had to be about a decade old and never got service for more than a minute or so making that unusable as well so all electronic amenities were not really usable.
To make clear we have stayed in some very old hotels in the all over the country so old is not the issue with us (1800 vintage hotels that still don’t even have electricity are a great treat) but you can tell where pride in ownership is involved and care is taken to make the accommodations clean and welcoming but this is not the case from what we saw throughout the hotel except the lobby. Earlier I did mention the lack of outlets (and in an old hotel this is to be expected) but the La Veta Inn has a very scary flip side as you can't help but notice the multitude of very cheap extension cords and gang plugs everywhere…for the life of me I can’t imagine how the Fire Department allows it. All it came down to as we saw it was the place could be a real winner but there seems to be very little pride involved in making this gem in the rough the attraction it could be.
All I can say is for the money it’s just not worth it…adjust your trip to hit La Veta for a meal or some sightseeing and stay elsewhere…for example, our next night was a King suite at the Hampton in Pueblo for a few dollars more.
Pros: Great staff, Good food*
Cons: Very dirty… (*although the food is good the dinnerware we got each time had food still stuck to it and needed changing). Also on the knives, forks and spoons…obviously they are an artistic interpretation but really very clumsy and hard to use…the money could have been better spent on mops and buckets.

Looking at the pictures here I notice none are of our "suite"...odd thing that.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt R, Owner at La Veta Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello Charlie, I do appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough and thoughtful review. During your stay with us we had issues with our cleaning staff. Being located in a small, remote town, sometimes when someone gets really sick we don't have the ability to address the issues that arise. We have a husband and wife that lead our housekeeping staff and when Mireya needed to go to hospital, her husband Chris took care of her, and we were left in a bind.

I am sorry and I hope we get a chance to make it up to you.

Been to La Veta Inn? Share your experiences!