“Winter sports at Latigo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Latigo Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kremmling
Latigo Dude Ranch
Save Saved
You added Latigo Dude Ranch to your Saves list
201 County Rd 1911, Kremmling, CO 80459   |
“Winter sports at Latigo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We were looking on the internet for a weekend stay with our family to celebrate my husbands 90th birthday. There I found Latigo Ranch. We are all outdoor loving people.
My husband and I went sno-shoeing, one daugter and husband chose classic skiing and the other couple mostly skate skiing . There was lots of snow and on Saturday morning, Randy went out with the Cat and groomed almost all trails to perfection.
After a delicious breakfast we all went on our way. The vieuws are spectacular, the trails just perfect.. We did this for two days and we had the best time one could wish for. The meals were delicious and very nicely served. The hosts are so nice, we felt like being part of family. We had the best time we could have wished for.
If you want to avoid crowds and have a good time on the snow: Go book a cabin at Latigo Ranch.

Room Tip: Do not drive bak on I_70 East on Sunday evening
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

For the second year in a row, sixteen ladies from Steamboat Springs drove one hour south to spend a night at Latigo Ranch. Being that this winter of 2011-2012 is pretty short on snow, we all thought we would be hiking instead of skiing. Lucky for us, it snowed 6" the night before and with that tiny bit of snow, Latigo created perfect track skiing. We were all very impressed with their grooming, the amazing amount of terrain available and the spectacular views of multiple mountain ranges from the high points. If you love to cross country ski, want beautiful views and good food, book a stay at Latigo. The owners are lovely and all the staff couldn't have been better. This place isn't a foo-foo as some places, but we liked it's rustic appeal. We girls will be back!

Room Tip: Most of the cabins have three bedrooms and one bath and are all pretty similar.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Our family of four plus a friend along with each of our girls (ages 9 and 11 years) enjoyed another great week at Latigo this Summer. This was our 5th year to enjoy the Latigo experience. Our girls have come to count on it. We love the horses, staff, food, entertainment and accomodations--cannot say enough positive things and such a unique and fun experience for a family. Latigo has a focus on its horse program, but I am always amazed at their ability to accomodate all ages and levels of experience. Nothing is more beautiful than riding in the Colorado Rockies whether at a walk, trot or lope.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Great location on a private ranch with lots of access to the National Forest. Guests can choose from gentle walking rides to exciting faster rides thru challenging terrain. Small groups of riders go out with wranglers who clearly enjoy their jobs. The horses belong to the ranch (rather than leased for the season) and rotated to provide good matches and fresh mounts for all the guests. The food was excellent with breakfasts made to order, hearty lunches with fresh veggies and great fruit salad, excellent dinners often with choices of three entrees (beef, fish or chicen, and veggie) and yummy desserts as well as home-baked cookies.
Beautiful mountain scenery - bring your camera (and your long underwear!) and ask to ride to the waterfall ;o) Oh, and there's a hot tub too!

Room Tip: Some rooms have been renovated more recently and have open studio plans and plaster walls rather tha...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
nz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

..and that includes my very unhorsey husband! We came for most of a week in July, with nothing but the website and reviews here to guide us. We had chosen the ranch because it was small, and seemed to have real riding, not nose to tail plodding. We would come back for all those reasons, and for the wonderful hospitality shown here.(hmm should probably add that the food would get us back too!) In fact, my kids, who are pretty well travelled, have rated this as their best holiday ever.

You can stay in places with more stars, but you won't find better service or a better run place than this. And the riding really does suit all levels , from absoltue beginner to those with all the experience in the world. So book in, try a pair of chinks, let your kids run free and enjoy. Thanks to all at the ranch for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My sister, adult daughter and I stayed at Latigo for a week. It was more than I could have hoped for. I hadn't ridden for years, but it felt like I had never stopped. The horses are wonderful - very gentle for the most timid riders...to spirited and peppy for those more experienced. The accommodations were more than adequate with a mini fridge stocked with cold beverages, a wood burning stove and a filled container of homemade caramel corn every day!

The meals were delicious - everything baked is from scratch! You can eat as much or as little as you'd like...as healthy (or not!) as you want! For dinner each evening you can choose between a beef/pork/chicken or a fish or a vegetarian. The desserts are so yummy.

The best part is the riding. Twice a day and at the pace you'd like. Sometimes you are riding through a wildflower filled meadow - loping between the free range cattle! The next you are riding through beautiful forests, then up to a peak, or by a waterfall. Words cannot describe the magnificent scenery.

We will definitely return again. This was one of our best vacations of all time!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sacto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

If I was a travel writer, I could write a Pulitzer Prize-winning article on Latigo Ranch. There is so much interesting material to cover about this wonderful place. However, you and I don’t have enough time here: I need to get back to work to earn the money for my next trip to Latigo, and you need to read this quickly and go make your reservations. Therefore, I’ll summarize.

Setting: Spectacular high-country Colorado Rockies. Wildflowers are everywhere and the long vistas are stunning. It’s everything you imagine. This is a truly “western” ranch and experience, with rustic buildings and grounds that are clean and orderly. This is not a country club with some riding, which is a good thing, but you will be totally comfortable and well cared for while you are here.

Riding: The variety of terrain was incredible, ranging from trails through aspen and pine forests to cross-country rides across lush meadows and through streams. Rides are led by wranglers twice a day, which could be restrictive at some places, but they are extremely flexible and work to do what you want. We rode as a group of only 2 or 3 each time. Walking, trotting, and loping are all possible once you develop the skills. I’m not a “horse guy” (filthy beasts), but we rode twice a day and loved every minute of it. I started as a beginner, but the wranglers helped me learn, and I was trotting and loping through the Colorado mountains within a couple of days. My kid advanced even quicker.

Wranglers: I hope my kids turn out to be like these people. They were all very fun-loving, knowledgeable about the area, environmentally sensitive, extremely friendly, patient, hardworking, and somehow very professional all at the same time. Even though every one of them is about half my age, I had complete confidence in them at all times. They also made the riding fun.

Other Staff: You’ve met maintenance staff before. What are they usually like? Surly and disinterested? At Latigo, these are some of the coolest and most friendly young men you have ever met. Imagine what the “customer service” staff must be like. (I’ll tell ya’: The kitchen, dining room, and housekeeping staff are super-friendly also.)

Owners: I have never met a more interesting and gracious set of people in my life. I’m a bit of a misanthrope, but I immediately felt as if I was among lifelong friends as soon as I got to Latigo. If you don’t like these people, you don’t like people. Google their names, and you will find out some cool stuff about their past experiences.

Food: Freakin’ outstanding! Prime rib, steak, salmon, roast turkey with all the fixins, hot lunches, made to order breakfasts, lots of alternate selections, and cookies, cookies, cookies. (Plus, mac & cheese, etc. for the kids if they want it instead.) In addition to the meals at the dining room, the breakfast, lunch, and dinner cook-outs were great.

Activities: Other than riding, we did the following at Latigo:
• Fishing
• Archery
• Riflery (.22’s)
• Sporting clays
• Cowboy skills (bullwhip, tomahawks, roping)
• Saddled a horse
• Country dancing
• Swimming
• Hot tub
• Hiking
• Rafting on the Colorado River (mild ride in late August)
• Team penning (working with cows on horseback)
• Volleyball
• Billiards
• Table Tennis
• Foosball
• Burning our family "brand" into the wall of the dining room
• Sittin’ on the porch eating caramel corn and watching the lightning

There’s more to do (cattle round up, all-day ride, overnight ride/camping, kid camp-out), but we did not have time or energy to do it all.

ALL of these activities were included in the cost. Nothing was extra!

No Tipping: Latigo has a “no tipping” policy. That is awesome! We always knew that the staff was friendly and helpful to us because…they are friendly and helpful. It was not because they were angling to get a little deeper into my pocket. Keep this factoid in mind when comparing prices with the other ranches.

Negatives: You may notice that I have said nothing negative yet. Well…we did get some bug bites near the pond. And, oh yeah, the resident otter scared the fish away a few times. We did not see a moose, bear, elk, or cougar—just a whole bunch of deer and a couple of marmots. They also forgot to refill my in-cabin refrigerator with my favorite soda one day. As a certified crank, I’m almost disappointed that I have nothing serious to complain about. Even the brief rain showers happened only when we were indoors already, but you might not be so lucky.

About Me: I know that I sound like a gushing teenager with a case of puppy love for the ranch, but I’m not just some pie-eyed dude who got out of the big city for the first time and was amazed at the starry sky in the “wilderness.” I spend most vacations outdoors fishing, camping, hiking, boating, etc., including at other resorts and lodges. I’ve stayed at lodges in Alaska, California and Montana. Yet, this place really blew me away.

Yes, I know, I said I would summarize, and I tried, but I could not help myself. Latigo Ranch is incredible. Get there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Latigo Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!