“Customer service is key at Keystone Lodge and Spa” 4 of 5 stars

Keystone Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22101 US Highway 6, PO Box 38, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Keystone
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“Customer service is key at Keystone Lodge and Spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just returned from our second yearly trip to Keystone. We had another great stay at this resort. We had a room on the first floor that was well-appointed. The bathroom was new and large. The best thing about this hotel are the people who work there. They are friendly, cheery and helpful. This includes the front staff, the valet, the shuttle drivers, and Edgewater Cafe staff. My boys and I especially love the shuttle service to River Run,the storage of skiis at the bottom of the gondola, and the fast pass on the gondola til 11:00. We ate breakfast at the Edgewater Cafe every morning. We love the buffet, but it is usually only on the weekends. A great variety of good food. Ordering off the menu is a bit pricey but food was good and we wanted a good meal before hitting the slopes. After a full day of skiing, it was nice to come back and go in the steam room and hot tub. The valet parked our car and had it waiting, warming up and free of snow when we needed it. All employees we came in contact with were friendly, helpful and service oriented. This is the reason we came back again to this resort again this year.
We had fun ice skating on the lake. We rented skates which are good for all day. You can skate and then grab lunch and then go back again. Unfortunately, we ran out of time and were unable to visit the Nordic Center.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed there a couple with two teenage daugthers. The room was a Loft number 605, close to the lobby. Be sure to get used to the altitude before purchasing a ski pass. Took us two days for us. Drink a lot of water and avoid alcahol and heavy meals.
The first two days we took the bus, as we did not realise that there is a private shuttle that takes you straight to the River Run gondola and back, so convenient. A fast pass is complimentary and allows you to skip the line at River Run gondola before 11 o'clock. The Spa is wonderful after a great day of skiing.

Stayed February 2014
Palos Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Keystone Lodge provided excellent service from start to finish. I made my reservations over the phone and the process went smoothly. Transfers from Denver International were arranged as well using Colorado Mountain Express. The front desk staffers always had a smile and an offer to help out. When I checked in I was handed a small paper bag with 2 cookies; I got another bag later in my stay for an an on-slope snack. She also handed me a "fast pass" card that I was to present with my Lodge keycard at the gondola; this would entitle to go to the front of the line. I have a hydration bladder in my pack that I usually fill with water or an electrolyte/energy drink. There were vending machines offering both but I had no dollar bills to buy the drinks with. The staffer at reception willingly changed my money; however, when she found out why I needed the change, she offered to fill my hydration bladder with freshly-filtered at no cost. I appreciated the offer and took her up on it.

Talking about skiing, this was one of the reasons for visiting Keystone, of course. I was also there to attend a meeting at the nearby conference center. When staying at a ski resort I would normally choose to stay at a ski-in/ski-out hotel, or at least at a place within walking distance to a lift. I chose the Lodge primarily because of the convenience for the meeting but had surprisingly easy access to the River Run lift base (the gondola) through their shuttle service which is included in the price of your stay. They offer a ski locker right at the main entrance for storage of your gear. The valet has your skis ready for you pretty quickly after you arrive up front and calls for the shuttle to take you to the lifts. I found to wait to be no more than 10 minutes and usually much less than that. A couple of time the shuttle happened to be waiting when I got to the front. Be sure to bring your "fast pass" card. I did not need it during the week and used it only once on the weekend when the gondola lift line was long even at 8AM on a Saturday morning with everyone looking to make the most of a foot of fresh powder.

The hotel included wifi in the price of lodging. The room was large and in good condition. Housekeeping kept the room clean. The bathroom included a bathtub, not just a shower, that proved convenient for taking a hot soak in. The queen bed was very comfortable. There was a coffee-maker that I made use of on a couple of morning. More important to me were the 2 glass bottles of freshly-filtered water that housekeeping refilled everyday. There was only one bottle on my first night and I finished it. The next day I noticed that they had left 2 bottles waiting for me. I made a point to finish both to avoid dehydration to minimize symptoms of altitude sickness.

A word for those visiting Summit County for the first time: remember that you will be staying at a significant altitude. The valley is over 9000 feet above sea level with the tops of the lifts rising to almost 12,000 feet. For reference, the cabin of your flight to Denver is pressurized not to sea level but to between 7,000 and 8,000 feet. Due to decreased density of the atmosphere the amount of oxygen available at Keystone is about 25% less than at sea level. Furthermore you are more prone to dehydration at this altitude which can aggravate the symptoms of altitude sickness (headache, insomnia, pin-and-needles sensation, shortness of breath, dizziness). I have been to Breckenridge twice, as well as to Copper and Winter Park and am no stranger to the symptoms, but I am always surprised on my first day at how short of breath I get carrying my skis compared to back in Illinois. This passes by the second day but it is generally a good idea to take it easy on the first day at this kind of altitude and let your body acclimatize.

Unfortunately I did not have a chance to use the spa, hot tub or heated outdoor pool. These might have helped ease symptoms of altitude, and definitely sooth muscle aches after skiing.

I dined at both Bighorn Steakhouse and Tenderfoot Lounge in Keystone Lodge. More on those at another time.

Overall I very much enjoyed my stay at the Lodge and would recommend it to anyone looking to visit Keystone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I spent five days at Keystone Lodge while attending a scientific meeting. The best part of the hotel is the very young, friendly staff. They seemed to bubble with enthusiasm. The room was rustic, but not in an elegant sense at all. Rather, it was furniture with "Furniture-in-the-Raw" type pine furniture scattered around. I was in a room with a sitting area on the bottom, and a loft above. Be aware that there is but one singe bathroom, located on the bottom floor, so you must descend the circular staircase at night to use the toilet. View of other buildings was uninspiring. However, the space was clean and adequately heating. In short, this is NOT a luxury resort but ample and comfortable. It is priced reasonably. Keep in mind that you are over 9000 feet in elevation, and many visitors have significant distress. All feel short of breath. About a 100 minute drive from the Denver Airport.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Great property as far as keystone goes, there isn't any better there. Service by staff was fantastic and the private shuttle to the lifts a great service, and Amy the driver AWESOME. Food at the restaurants was fantastic, and overall valet service great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

At lodge for business meeting and skiing. Super facility. Staff very attentive room was clean and quite large. Shuttle available to take to ski resort 1/2 mile away. Dining area bar area all in excellent condition and for being the signature lodge for Keystone price of food very reasonable. Huge skating rink in back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've wrote to corporate Vail Resorts on two separate occasions, politely expressing the deficiencies of our stay and have heard nothing back. So to all of you fellow skiers and boarders, if you're looking to drop $300 for a special occasion. Do not do it here.

I feel that our stay at Keystone Lodge and Spa was fully inadequate. When we arrived, we received a friendly welcome and were given a ton of beneficial information; however, when we got to our room, there had already been someone else (We literally walked in on them using the bathroom). We shrugged it off and were relocated to a different room. Then, close to midnight on new years eve, our keys stopped working. Frustrated, we ran all the way to the front desk to get different keys. Luckily we made it in time for the ball drop.
Before this, we dined in the restaurant which was extremely over priced for the quality of food we received. I hate to complain about this because over-priced food seems to be the norm among the resorts, but for a $130 meal, all I received was a chicken breast. This is aside of the reason which brought me to write you.
The largest problem of all we encountered is that I warned our Valet driver multiple times that our driver door's hinge was fragile and the door couldn't be opened all the way. When we were leaving the resort, the driver radioed to another employee that he could not get our door closed... now, we had to take it in to the auto repair shop; leaving us with a $800 estimate to fix.
Generally I do not ever feel the need to write to customer service and present negative aspects of our stay, but with one thing after the other, I feel as though corporate should be aware of these deficiencies we experienced at Keystone Lodge and Spa for the amount of money we paid for just one night.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Keystone Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!