“Fantastic for families!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Keystone
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic for families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We just returned from our first family ski tip and stayed at the Keystone Lodge and SPA (3/31 – 4/5). We had such a great trip and highly recommend the Lodge for anyone, but especially for families. As a single parent of four young children (7-10) the kids ski free under 12 program was key to my decision to take a vacation to Keystone. We skied 4 days and saved $900 in lift tickets – that’s unbelievable no matter how you look at it. We skied about 5 hours each day and felt no pressure to stay all day and get our money’s worth. I’m giving the Lodge high marks for the following reasons 1) price – our rate the last week of the season was $150 – wow. 2) Lodge Shuttle Bus to Gondola (not to be confused with the Keystone Shuttle Bus you use at other properties and the Lake side condos). Here is how it works – walk down stairs tell them you want to ski – sit for 2-5 minutes and then shuttle (really a Tahoe truck I think) and they take you to within 20 feet of the Gondola); when you are done skiing you ask the ski check kids you want to go back – sit for 5 minutes and they come and get you. 3) Free Ski check at the Gondola – free and super convenient – for a week we never carried our skis more than 20 feet. That is so nice when your kids are too small to carry them far. 3) Pool – my kids love pools. It was the clincher in choosing the Lodge. The pool and hot tub set up at the lodge is very smartly done. You even get access to the sauna and steam room at the spa. 4) Staff friendliness – really, really good. Those are the big reasons why we recommend the Lodge. But there were other smaller things such as complementary roller bed and mini fridge; super convenient and free valet parking; a nice and clean room. We also enjoyed the Bighorn Steakhouse one night and played cards in the lounge several nights. The staff pushed together two large leather couches for us to sit on while we dealt the cards in front of the fire place. On our last night they treated my children to ice cream. A few other thoughts on Keystone, we found most of the Blue ski runs to be doable – just a bit harder than the green runs. Try Spring Dipper first it’s the easiest Blue run. The towns of Dillon, Frisco and Breckenridge are an easy short and beautiful drive. Going back to Denver we took Loveland pass –it was spectacular. Oh and about the room views. They views from the Lodge are great by Chicago standards (ha) but not “great” for the area. The views from the Lakeside condos are in my opinion great and a high floor is better than a low floor. I got the view I wanted – of the pool. We got are fill of views the other 10 hours a day we were out and about.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Starting with the valet to the front desk employees; all of the people we encountered were polite, helpful and professional. Greeted us with a smile and willing to help us with whatever we needed. I really enjoyed their attitude and professionalism. But the hotel was not worth the cost.

To give you an idea of my pool of knowledge, I’ve traveled extensively nationally and internationally for the past 25 years for work. I’ve stayed in more hotels, motels and military base lodging than I care to count. And my review is based off my experiences.

Before any type of discount, the rooms at Keystone Lodge and Spa were almost $400 a night. At that cost, you should expect something more than a roadside discounted hotel accommodations. So, what do you get for $400 a night? The desk clerk was kind enough to give us a room with their better views. Their version of better views was overlooking a road with views of a hillside (not mountainside) and a stream. If you lean over the balcony, 300 yards to the left you can barely see a small portion of one of Keystone’s run. The bathroom was tiled with nice fixtures but so cramped that the sink was turn sideways to give enough room to walk in. The room had fresh paint but was nothing better than a basic military base lodging room. There was no fridge or upgrades as one would expect for the cost.

In my opinion and for what you get, the rooms at the Keystone Lodge and Spa should be priced $125 to $225 per night. That would be a fair price for where the hotel is located and the accommodations.

I should have taken the clue when checking in. The guy before me was refusing his room and canceling his reservation. I did not hear the reason why because I gave him his privacy, but now I can see why.

I absolutely hate giving a bad review, BUT I use user’s reviews to make my decision for family vacations. I wish someone before me had given an honest review so I would have been better informed.

Despite the negative review, the employees were awesome, and the common areas were nice. I just did not believe it was worth the cost.

Room Tip: You're 300 + yards to one of Keystone lifts. And you are limited to a small glimpse of one of Ke...
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our room was awesome...my kids said "this is the best hotel ever"! We had a King loft room with spiral stairs & 2- 42" flat screen TV's, no arguing at the end of the day over who wants to watch what...plenty of space to spread out, especially with all the extra clothes, boots, etc. Tons of storage space, balcony, wet bar area...bathroom was VERY small. Front desk staff was super friendly, valets were very nice, location was good with a free shuttle from the front door of the hotel to 20 feet from the gondola and complimentary ski storage at both locations, Valet parking was nearly free ($6 for 5 days). Pool was nice & warm, could have been better if was completely indoors, restaurant choices especially breakfast were minimal. Spa looked very nice, although I was unable to utilize it on this trip. Definitely a high end property, only 4 stars for size of bathroom, pullout sofa not comfy, limited restaurant options, and noise (hallways & avalanche canons).

Room Tip: King loft if definitely a good choice when traveling with older kids, bring breakfast foods with you...
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had to be in Denver for business, so I decided to go to Colorado early, take my son and get in a few days of skiing. We were very happy with our last minute trip and the Keystone Lodge and Spa. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were greeted warmly by the valets and front desk staff. Check in was seamless. In fact, the check-in staff gave us a map of the resort and highlighted the location to purchase lift tickets, the location to rent ski equipment and the location of the shuttle pick up and drop off. Other than driving me there and carrying my skis, it could not have been easier and more accessible. I was reluctant to book a hotel that was not slopeside or ski in/ski out, but the shuttle ran all day and once we were done skiing, we called the hotel and within 5 minutes the shuttle was at the appointed location to take us back to the hotel. WOW...I did not miss the ski in/ski out a bit.

Our room was on the 3rd floor. We had a nice room overlooking the pool and spa. The spa was acessible by elevator or stairwell. The stairwell was 2 doors from our room and put us directly in the entrance to the Spa. The Spa is awesome. Not as GRAND as some 5 star properties, but more than adequate. Indoor and outdoor hottubs, a steam room and sauna and lockeroom with showers. It also has a heated outside pool accesible from inside the spa. While we were there, I decided to get a massage. After a day of skiing, this desk job businessman had some sore muscles. Seeing as I had more exercise in 1 day than the previous year combined, it was something I needed and wanted. The massage was great and reasonable. My son and I spent many hours in the hottubs after skiing.

Our room was also very comfortable. In addition, I was very happy to have a portable humidifier. The air up there is very dry and it was very thoughtful to include a humidifier in the room. The windows and doors are all brand new and european in style and quality. Very heavy doors open to the balcony and provide great insulation from the cold outdoors. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom very clean and well appointed.

Overall we were very happy. This is not a NEW property, but the staff and managment really keep the hotel up to date, clean and comfortable. We have stayed in much higher rated hotels, but none with a staff as friendly as the lodge and spa. Everyone at the hotel was helpful, friendly and attentive. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is not the newest place on the mountain, but the managment has kept the property up to date, very comfortable, clean and easy to enjoy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bethlehem, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

1st family ski trip to Colorado. Loved the ease of the Keystone Lodge shuttle that took us right to the River Run gondola. Also took us to a local grocery store to stock up on supplies. Excellent staff. Everyone from the front desk, housekeeping, shuttle drivers, room service, restaurant and spa staff was great. Our flight got in early and our shuttle got us in early and the checked us in at 10:30am how nice is that? We loved our king sized loft room. Perfect for a family of 3. Disappointed the lake was thawed so no more skating this late in the season but they did e-mail me the week before our arrival to let us know. The Edgewater Cafe and Bighorn Steakhouse are excellent. The room service is also excellent. We ordered daily. The skiing was awesome! 17" of powder the week we stayed. It was so convenient with the shuttle and rentals, why ski anywhere else? We will be back. So there's not a lot of after slope activity but Breckenridge is close enough so who cares? The spa and gym are also top notch. This place is really a hidden gem.

• Stayed March 2013
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I requested the lodge but was given a “room” located in Lakeside Village which surrounds Keystone Lake. This is actually not a room, but a condo. It turned out to be OK because it was very close to the conference area. The condo is very clean and tastefully decorated.

I checked in, went to the condo (one block outside walk from the lobby) and tried to gain access but couldn’t. I walked back to the lobby so they could reprogram the card key.

The condo has two bedrooms with king beds, two and a half baths, a fireplace and balcony overlooking Keystone Lake. The two bedrooms and two full baths are upstairs. Despite having a pool / hot tub, there was no clothes line in the bathroom to hang a wet bathing suite. It is a huge place for just one person. There is no iron or ironing board in the room - I called and waited about 15 minutes for them to arrive. By the time I ironed my clothes and got to sleep it was almost 2am. I was asleep for about three hours before the alarm went off.

There are indoor and outdoor pools and indoor hot tub in Lakeside Village which I did not have time to even see. I did have a take-out dinner from one of the restaurants in Lakeside Village. I suspect this place may be more hopping in the winter; however, it was very quiet in September. One of the store owners indicated she would be closing earlier than expected because it was so slow.

Keystone Resort is a big place with many different options for lodging. I felt it was too big to easily maneuver – they even had a shuttle to get from place to place on the resort. The condo was lovely, but I don’t think I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My family of five just returned from Keystone for Spring Break and I felt that I had to share my disappointing experience to save another family from experiencing a similar let down. Let me start by saying I am in NO WAY hard to please or an advent complainer but the only positive things I can say about our recent stay were the friendly staff saved this place from receiving a two star rating from us and Der Fondue Chessel restaurant was AMAZING!! Aside from that everything else was down hill.
I'll start with activities or rather lack there of. We went exploring on day one only to learn that the Ice Skating was closed for the season despite the fact that it was snowing outside, the arcade looked like something straight out of a Pizzahut from the 80's with only about 4 machines total. They was not a playground or indoor pool for the kids at all. So we thought we'd go explore the variety of shops only to discover that the one store closed up before 6pm. And they advertise free skiing for kids but its really just a free lift ticket you still have to purchase the ski rentals so it is a tad misleading unless you own your own equipment.
Onto the hotel; it was very dated, musky, and dirty with a lingering bad smell throughout the halls and the beds were nearly impossible to sleep on. Also something in the room gave all of us pink eye but it would clear up when we left and return when we got back to the room. Our bathroom sink's drain did not drain at all forcing us to brush our teeth in the shower. We have a two year old who liked to play on the floor and he found and brought me someone else's pop tart from under our bed!! It was disgusting to think how long that might have been under there, thankfully he didn't eat it. The café on the main level served lattes and Starbucks coffee but honestly both tasted like dish soap we were again disappointed. The views from even the top floor were nothing to write home about and in no way do they resemble the photos on Expedia or Travelocity.
We still had a fabulous vacation because we left Keystone everyday and went to Frisco or Breckenridge were we found things to be much more to our taste / liking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kerstin_GuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Keystone Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Keystone Lodge and Spa and Keystone Resort. At the Lodge and Spa we are continually making upgrades to improve the hotel and spa. A couple years ago the Spa received a 2 million dollar up grade. Two years ago we replaced every window in every guest room along with new wallpaper, new lamps and soft goods. This fall we installed new carpet in every guest room and renovated the hotel front desk and lobby throughout the past year. The six acre Keystone Lake is the highest Zamboni maintained ice rink in North America. I am sorry the ice skating was closed when you were here, it is subject to the warmer weather and longer Spring days of March and closed this season on Thursday March 14. In the Keystone Village Cures n Curiosities, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Pizza on the Plaza, the Tenderfoot lounge and the Bighorn restaurant are all open until 9 p.m. or later. In addition there is a direct shuttle from Keystone Lodge to the River Run Village which has a number of shops and restaurants which are also open until at least 9 p.m. As for activities for kids, there are a wide range of activities. From skiing and snowboarding on the mountain to tubing, sleigh rides, snow biking, a large kids snowfort at the top of the mountain and daily Kidtopia programming. For the evening, the Keystone Lodge has a pool that can be entered indoors and after swimming under a partition opens to a large outdoor pool with an adjacent outdoor hot tub which is open until 10 p.m.

Been to Keystone Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!