“Nicely situated hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Elyria, Ohio
“Nicely situated hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Hotel is in a beautiful spot. Room was well-appointed with comfortable beds. Nice touch is the filtered water they leave in your room. Loved having a balcony overlooking the mountains. Wish they had a small fridge, though. I had trouble with the room being too warm the first night even though I had the heat off. Opened the screens while I was there during the day seemed to help for the second night.

Lobby and bar area are also very nice. Everyone--desk clerks, bartender and room steward were friendly and helpful.

Really liked the Lakeside Deli with great breakfast sandwiches and complimentary coffee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Keystone Lodge is a lovely hotel to stay at for a weekend getaway. The room that we stayed in was appointed very well and I loved the balcony area where we could sit and have drinks and relax outside. I also appreciate that it was quiet with no loud noise from fellow hotel guests when I tried to sleep. I would definitely stay here again. I also loved the hot tub, as it was a great way to unwind at the end of the day. My only disappointment was the extra tax the woman on reception tried to charge us upon checking out. Expedia hadn't informed us of this tax when we organised the accommodation and paid in full and so we refused to pay it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
lincoln,ne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was disappointed in this resort. Although I got a great deal from Groupon I still felt I paid too much..
We were checking in around 4pm on saturday and pulled up for valet. The valet waved us over to the side so we waited a minute for him to come over.he never did. I went inside to get the room key so we could unload our bags. Upon check in they only had my reservation for one night, then tried to quickly recover. I was glad we wouldnt have to search for another hotel but was kind of confused at the front desk service- where no one offered assistance with our bags or told me where anything was in the resort. When I went back outside my friend had been told to go over to the lot, without an offer of valet parking or help with our bags. We had to carry our bags down a flight of stairs, through a tunnel and back up the stairs on the other side. Just to be clear- this is a HUGE pain.
We got into our room and discovered a BIG red stain on the carpet by the bed (gross) and a dirty platic cup on the armoir. I was unimpressed to say the least. We called the spa to see if we could get manicures either sunday or monday but were told they didn't have a manicurist available on sun or monday. The woman was very polite and apologetic but still, a spa that doesn't have someone doing nails? Kind of weird, had no trouble finding someone at another spa in breckenridge. Upon venturing out for dinner we discovered pretty much EVERYTHING in keystone is closed in sept. We ended up dining in breckenridge and Vail for the rest of our trip. Upon returning to our room we found that the curtain rod had fallen down and the curtain was on the floor. Since it was so late I opted to put it back up rather than call the front desk. The next day we stayed away from the resort (since there wasn't much to do and we didnt feel like calling the 800 number to try to find something to do- why isnt the front desk staff more knowlegable?).When we checked out the following day I made my concerns about the stain, dirty cup and curtain rod known and the person at the desk, she said she would 'look into it' and thanked me but did not offer an apology for our experience. Although everyone was very polite there just wasn't a lot of actual 'service'. I think even at the groupon rate of $99/night (plus resort fee) this was over priced. It begs the question, what makes this a 'resort experience'? I certainly felt more like I was at a days inn than a resort.
I do intend to send an email to the resort manager to make sure the next person staying in that room doesn't have the same experience.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the renovated part of the resort. The room we stayed in had stained carpet and a b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

First time here and will not return. Reserved King - No smoking room. Came back after being out of room for several hours and the cigar smoke smell in the room was intolerable. Management reacted by apologizing and placing a device in the room to clear out the smoke, which was coming from people downstairs smoking cigars in their room and on the balcony. Manager said she could not interfere with their right to enjoy themselves. Asked her if that right trumped our right to a healthy environment and she just apologized again. No response at all when I pointed out that all our luggage would smell as a result. Unacceptable at a high-end resort that prides itself on being "green."

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We returned to Keysone after a 25-year hiatus. We found the Lodge to be as nice as 25 years ago. Shay, Dusty, Matt and Thomas were excellent and was most of the staff we encountered. Our "kids" enjoyed it again and were full of pleasant memories. The grandkids had a ball and we started a new generation of Keystoners, er, maybe Keystoneans is a better word.

The loft rooms were clean and quites. The welcoming little goodies for the kids were a big hit. You cannot go wrong by staying here.

Room Tip: They front desk was very accommodating in upgrading my daughter and son-in-law's birthday room...
Littleton, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

A nice 3-day weekend in the mountains was just the perfect recipe for rest! Keystone lodge is a very quiet location with easy access to multiple restaurants, spa, lakeside activities, and hikes. My family with a teenager all enjoyed the hotel and the layout.

We had a King bedroom layout with a loft and enjoyed the extra space. All the amenities were top-notch. The only small complaint about the room was that the sofa-bed was lumpy. But the King bed was heavenly.

Check-in and out was easy and pleasant. We did learn later that they forgot to mention the free activities that came with our package. This was unfortunate as we would have liked to go on the horse-drawn carriage ride. But we did like the check-in cookies!

Room Tip: Loft rooms help divide space between parents and children. But the stairs are very steep.
Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We just had our son's rehearsal dinner at the Black Bear Grill and it was one of the most disappointing "meals" I've ever had. $3,000 to feed 45 people, works out to around $66/each. For that kind of money I would expect a sit down dinner with servers and a LOT of personal attention. NONE of that took place. The options given to us months ago were beyond convoluted and confusing, and I know my son did the best he could choosing what he thought would work well for all included. But "Martini mashed potatoes" as what seemed the main course, BBQ beef brisket (it was ok, but not very tender) and mixed vegetables served buffet style on cocktail plates was an embarassment to me as the hostess.
32 people ate their choice of served dinners and drinks at Kickapoo the night before, and it came in under $1,000!!! WTF!?!? I had no idea who was coordinating the catering, or we'd have had a serious conversation before I gave them a dime. In no way was it worth the money we were charged and I was VERY disappointed.
Tonight, after spending the past five hours on the road to pick up my husband, we got in at 1:20am and our room keys wouldn't work!!! And guess what?!?!? NO ONE on hand at the property to answer a phone to help us! Ended up banging on the door to wake up a very sound sleeper inside to let us in. Now I understand others have had the same problem, and were told not to put their room key in their wallet. I haven't put mine in my wallet once, and if those magnetic strips are so sensitive, how about putting them in a protective sleeve and warning visitors?! What would I have done if there was no one else staying in our suite?!? Ridiculous!
So... I'm hoping dinner tomorrow night is better, and if it's a disappointment, I hope the bride's parents will speak up. I intend to write a letter to the management staff when I get home.
I work in the service industry and I don't think I'm being unreasonable! I just would've liked a really great meal for $66/person, not what ended up seeming like appetizers masquerading as an entree served buffet style. Is that asking too much?!?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Keystone Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!