“Decent stay for 5 nights” 3 of 5 stars

You added Gateway Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Gateway Mountain Lodge
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   23110 Hwy. 6, East Keystone, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Roswell, Georgia
“Decent stay for 5 nights”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We booked this condo at the last minute so we were happy we could get ANYTHING through Wildernest for the same week. However, I don't know if we would opt for Gateway again, if given the opportunity.

We stayed here for 5 nights this January in a studio unit.

First, I don't know if this is all units but ours is extremely dark! As in, strain your eyes to read even when as close to a floor lamp as humanly possible. This has caused some literal headaches. Speaking of our unit, it's in need of some sprucing up- the furniture is worn, the tv is so grainy and with fading sound, it's not even good as white noise. Also, the linens need some replacing as well. they are clean but mismatched and again, worn. However, the bathroom is updated, albeit a little dusty. As in, coat of dust on the towel rack and toilet paper holder.

The building and facilities are nice. You cannot beat the location at the base of Keystone Mountain. You are walking distance from restaurants, bars and all the amenities you could need while staying here plus, great views of the mountain! There is even a shuttle exclusively for owners/guests to and from the mountain that runs very quite regularly. However, we didn't use the shuttle so I can't speak to that.
The underground, semi-heated parking is wonderful and the lobby/common area is nicely appointed with leather couches and a welcoming, relaxing fireplace area. Unfortunately, The pool and spa area could use a lot of work. Most is general housekeeping (gobs of wet hair around the drains and on the floor, a couple of grubby band aids stuck to the stones), but the pool could really use a drain and scrub down. You can see where people frequently enter/exit based on the discoloration of the stone. However, that didn't stop us from using the hot tub for about 15 min after a long day of skiing!

Overall, the facilities are okay. Would I stay here again? Yes, for the right price. Would I consider buying a unit? No.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Keystone, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

the condos are all privately owned so each is a different standard..Ours is definately substandard. The front door doesnt lock ,the dryer doesnt work ,the carpets are old and stained,the radiators are falling off the walls. the heating was not working at all our first night,was "fixed" the next day and broke down again within hours.
But my main problem is the building ...it is shabby and very poorly maintained. The elevator was not working when we arrived a week ago...There is never anyone here to speak to but today I learned from another property manager that its expected to be out at least another month. have fun carrying your luggage,food,skis,babies etc up 2 flights of ugly stone stairs !!! The garage has no security,anyone can press a button and walk in apparently. As we have no deadbolt on our apt i am just a bit worried about this ! You can do much better in Keystone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathon S, Homeowner Association Board Member at Gateway Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
As a board member of the Gateway Mountain Lodge Homeowner Association, I am sorry to read of your disappointing stay in our building.

As you correctly pointed out in the beginning of your review, each condominium unit is privately owned and maintenance of the interior of each unit is primarily the responsibility of the unit owner and occasionally partly the responsibility of any involved property rental agency with which the unit owner has contracted.

Trust me when I tell you that we share in your frustration regarding the broken elevator. Unfortunately, this "fluke" event involved a special order part that takes weeks to manufacture and then install. We are making every effort to getting the elevator functioning at the earliest possible time.

During the time of your visit, the standard secure card reader for the garage was also being repaired. The entry method you mention was only a temporary measure until that card reader was fixed. We also do contract with a security agency that patrols our building and during that time, patrols of the garage were increased.

We, as owners in the building, feel that the Gateway offers several significant advantages over many of the other properties in the Keystone area. These advantages include: covered parking, garage level guest gear lockers, owner gear lockers, indoor pool and hot tub, exercise room, building wide Wi-Fi access , front door shuttle service, and several guest-friendly first floor businesses including a restaurant, rental company, a real estate company, a grocery & liquor store, a ski & snowboard rental shop, and a day spa.

The Gateway Mountain Lodge HOA board of directors would like everyone's stay be as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. We are working to improve the experience for all users of the Gateway Mountain Lodge including owners, guests, renters, and business customers.

Happy travels.
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I were pleased with Gateway Lodge. Amenities not as snazzy as the upscale condos, but the room were very clean and comfortable. If I go back, I'll stay there again.
Short walk to the ski lifts. Shuttle stop, convenient store and restaurant in the complex.
Keystone resort property is awesome.

Room Tip: Great value
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in a 3/3 + loft unit. It wasn't "fancy" but it was completely sufficient for our needs. It was clean,everything worked and the beds were comfortable. The bedrooms, baths and common spaces were plenty spacious for our group of eight. Garage parking and the breakfast place on the first floor were a plus. We rented a car and it was a very short drive to the ski area. There is a ski rental shop almost directly across the street (Mountain View Sports). It was a good value for us!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked an efficiency condo here based on the Keystone Resort website advertising it as 4 star (I don't require fancy accommodations- just a comfortable place to sleep, so this wasn't so important) and walking distance to the slopes (MAJORLY important for this trip). I have never been so disappointed in a lodging choice, and I have stayed at some questionable places! We were there for 4 nights. These units do not receive housekeeping during your stay (maybe ever, since I found blueberries on the floor....we never brought blueberries to the room), which is fine- I am capable of making my own bed. But the unit was not stocked for the length of our stay. We ran out of toilet paper (there was only the partially used roll already hanging in the bathroom provided). I called to request more. It was delivered an hour later and only after a follow-up call asking when we could expect it.

The first morning I woke looking forward to a nice hot shower before hitting the slopes. After waiting at least 5 minutes with the shower handle turned all the way hot and getting no more than lukewarm water interrupted by shots of cold, I gave up. I called to report the lack of hot water. I was told the property manager would call to discuss the issue. They never did. We did eventually get hot water, but each time it would take upwards of 5 minutes to get it running through the spouts in the sink or tub.

What could be more enjoyable after skiing all day than relaxing your muscles in a hot tub, am I right?? If you agree, don't stay here! The "hot" tub was more like a barely warm tub- it was only slightly warmer than the pool! I was actually shivering sitting in it. Not relaxing at all.

The bed was HORRIBLE; the pillows were lumpy (one was too flat, but two was too much). Even the mangy sofa bed in the room was more comfortable than the actual bed. Neither of us got a good nights sleep even though we were exhausted from being out on the slopes all day.

As far as being advertised as walking distance to the slopes, I guess that could be true if you weren't having to carry your equipment with you. I was minimum 5 minutes one way, maybe longer. We ended up driving to the lifts because it is not walkable with boots, poles and skis.

I noticed each night I would get really cold, but just figured it was because it's winter and, duh, it's cold. On the morning of our departure we got up much earlier and I was FREEZING. I checked the thermostat, which read barely 60 degrees. I tried to turn the heat on- even setting the fan to on and the temp to 80+ and got nothing.

Some positives about the place: room was a good size for being an efficiency, and had a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, dishes and utensils. There is a small convenience store out front on the main level for snacks, drinks, etc for your room. There also is a GREAT restaurant on the main level called Haywood Cafe. They have great breakfasts, excellent coffee, and unbelievable burgers. They open at 7am so you can get a good breakfast before heading out. Unfortunately, these few things are not enough to make me ever stay here again or recommend it to anyone. Spend a few more bucks for somewhere nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed in a beautiful corner room with 4BR and 4BA. Very nice sized rooms - each had it own bathroom. Easy bus ride to the lifts, and an easy walk to dinner/shopping. The bus ride home is a little long since it's the last stop. Lots of fun family activites in Keystone, and some great restaurants nearby. The condo was clean and the kitchen was well stocked with all the gadgets we needed. Views from the corner room were fantastic. Enjoyed the whirlpool, and the kids liked the pool. We liked the underground parking. Nice to have the shops located on the 1st level - especially the cafe. Fortunately, Keystone had the best early season snow this year - which made it a great choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great location in Keystone within walking distance to River Run. We liked the amenities and underground parking will be nice when we come back in the winter. Not many places in the area where you can get this much for your money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gateway Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!