“Badly maintained and no security” 1 of 5 stars

You added Gateway Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Gateway Mountain Lodge
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   23110 Hwy. 6, East Keystone, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Keystone, Colorado
“Badly maintained and no security”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

the condos are all privately owned so each is a different standard..Ours is definately substandard. The front door doesnt lock ,the dryer doesnt work ,the carpets are old and stained,the radiators are falling off the walls. the heating was not working at all our first night,was "fixed" the next day and broke down again within hours.
But my main problem is the building ...it is shabby and very poorly maintained. The elevator was not working when we arrived a week ago...There is never anyone here to speak to but today I learned from another property manager that its expected to be out at least another month. have fun carrying your luggage,food,skis,babies etc up 2 flights of ugly stone stairs !!! The garage has no security,anyone can press a button and walk in apparently. As we have no deadbolt on our apt i am just a bit worried about this ! You can do much better in Keystone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathon S, Homeowner Association Board Member at Gateway Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
As a board member of the Gateway Mountain Lodge Homeowner Association, I am sorry to read of your disappointing stay in our building.

As you correctly pointed out in the beginning of your review, each condominium unit is privately owned and maintenance of the interior of each unit is primarily the responsibility of the unit owner and occasionally partly the responsibility of any involved property rental agency with which the unit owner has contracted.

Trust me when I tell you that we share in your frustration regarding the broken elevator. Unfortunately, this "fluke" event involved a special order part that takes weeks to manufacture and then install. We are making every effort to getting the elevator functioning at the earliest possible time.

During the time of your visit, the standard secure card reader for the garage was also being repaired. The entry method you mention was only a temporary measure until that card reader was fixed. We also do contract with a security agency that patrols our building and during that time, patrols of the garage were increased.

We, as owners in the building, feel that the Gateway offers several significant advantages over many of the other properties in the Keystone area. These advantages include: covered parking, garage level guest gear lockers, owner gear lockers, indoor pool and hot tub, exercise room, building wide Wi-Fi access , front door shuttle service, and several guest-friendly first floor businesses including a restaurant, rental company, a real estate company, a grocery & liquor store, a ski & snowboard rental shop, and a day spa.

The Gateway Mountain Lodge HOA board of directors would like everyone's stay be as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. We are working to improve the experience for all users of the Gateway Mountain Lodge including owners, guests, renters, and business customers.

Happy travels.

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I were pleased with Gateway Lodge. Amenities not as snazzy as the upscale condos, but the room were very clean and comfortable. If I go back, I'll stay there again.
Short walk to the ski lifts. Shuttle stop, convenient store and restaurant in the complex.
Keystone resort property is awesome.

Room Tip: Great value
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in a 3/3 + loft unit. It wasn't "fancy" but it was completely sufficient for our needs. It was clean,everything worked and the beds were comfortable. The bedrooms, baths and common spaces were plenty spacious for our group of eight. Garage parking and the breakfast place on the first floor were a plus. We rented a car and it was a very short drive to the ski area. There is a ski rental shop almost directly across the street (Mountain View Sports). It was a good value for us!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked an efficiency condo here based on the Keystone Resort website advertising it as 4 star (I don't require fancy accommodations- just a comfortable place to sleep, so this wasn't so important) and walking distance to the slopes (MAJORLY important for this trip). I have never been so disappointed in a lodging choice, and I have stayed at some questionable places! We were there for 4 nights. These units do not receive housekeeping during your stay (maybe ever, since I found blueberries on the floor....we never brought blueberries to the room), which is fine- I am capable of making my own bed. But the unit was not stocked for the length of our stay. We ran out of toilet paper (there was only the partially used roll already hanging in the bathroom provided). I called to request more. It was delivered an hour later and only after a follow-up call asking when we could expect it.

The first morning I woke looking forward to a nice hot shower before hitting the slopes. After waiting at least 5 minutes with the shower handle turned all the way hot and getting no more than lukewarm water interrupted by shots of cold, I gave up. I called to report the lack of hot water. I was told the property manager would call to discuss the issue. They never did. We did eventually get hot water, but each time it would take upwards of 5 minutes to get it running through the spouts in the sink or tub.

What could be more enjoyable after skiing all day than relaxing your muscles in a hot tub, am I right?? If you agree, don't stay here! The "hot" tub was more like a barely warm tub- it was only slightly warmer than the pool! I was actually shivering sitting in it. Not relaxing at all.

The bed was HORRIBLE; the pillows were lumpy (one was too flat, but two was too much). Even the mangy sofa bed in the room was more comfortable than the actual bed. Neither of us got a good nights sleep even though we were exhausted from being out on the slopes all day.

As far as being advertised as walking distance to the slopes, I guess that could be true if you weren't having to carry your equipment with you. I was minimum 5 minutes one way, maybe longer. We ended up driving to the lifts because it is not walkable with boots, poles and skis.

I noticed each night I would get really cold, but just figured it was because it's winter and, duh, it's cold. On the morning of our departure we got up much earlier and I was FREEZING. I checked the thermostat, which read barely 60 degrees. I tried to turn the heat on- even setting the fan to on and the temp to 80+ and got nothing.

Some positives about the place: room was a good size for being an efficiency, and had a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, dishes and utensils. There is a small convenience store out front on the main level for snacks, drinks, etc for your room. There also is a GREAT restaurant on the main level called Haywood Cafe. They have great breakfasts, excellent coffee, and unbelievable burgers. They open at 7am so you can get a good breakfast before heading out. Unfortunately, these few things are not enough to make me ever stay here again or recommend it to anyone. Spend a few more bucks for somewhere nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed in a beautiful corner room with 4BR and 4BA. Very nice sized rooms - each had it own bathroom. Easy bus ride to the lifts, and an easy walk to dinner/shopping. The bus ride home is a little long since it's the last stop. Lots of fun family activites in Keystone, and some great restaurants nearby. The condo was clean and the kitchen was well stocked with all the gadgets we needed. Views from the corner room were fantastic. Enjoyed the whirlpool, and the kids liked the pool. We liked the underground parking. Nice to have the shops located on the 1st level - especially the cafe. Fortunately, Keystone had the best early season snow this year - which made it a great choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great location in Keystone within walking distance to River Run. We liked the amenities and underground parking will be nice when we come back in the winter. Not many places in the area where you can get this much for your money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This condo building offers a great compromise for the high prices often associated with places closer to the slopes, yet you can still walk to the lifts/main village without too much effort.

What is most noticeable and probably one of its better features upon approach to the building is the businesses located on the ground floor of the building. These businesses include a restaurant, a property rental company, a real estate office, a grocery/liquor store, a ski/snowboard rental shop, and a day spa. Check-in is easy if you rent through the rental management company in the building, otherwise you will likely need to pick up your keys elsewhere before arriving at the condo.

The parking is around back and underneath, so your car is protected from the elements. Elevators to the floors are somewhat noisy and a bit beat up, but they serve their purpose.
The building is separated into East and West Wings. Each floor of each wing consists of a fairly long hallway, modestly lit, with carpet that is somewhat dizzying to walk and look at at the same time.

The studio condo unit was nicely furnished with a fireplace, kitchenette, queen bed, twin over full bunk, and pull out full bed couch. Furnishing were modern mission-style. Lighting again was modest and as it faced towards Hwy 6, occasional tractor-trailer noise was noticeable.

We were able to access the restaurant and grocery/liquor store from the interior of the building. This is a great feature and being able to dine-out, buy basic food item to make, and buy alcohol/drinks without leaving the building was great.

There is a small but useable work-out room, a public use pay washer and dryer, and a pool/hot tub area. The pool was a bit cooler that I would like and the pool area could use some sprucing up, but the kids did not seem to mind a bit.

The main lobby was nice with large plants, vaulted ceiling, mission-style furnishings, large fireplace and a set-off to the side couch and large flat screen TV. It was a good place to wait and watch TV while waiting for friends and family before heading out for the day.

There were storage lockers big enough for gear for about 4 people. The locker is unit specific and the key is in the condo unit. There are also some bike storage racks, but not much room left on them as there were a lot of abandoned looking bikes there.

While, there is a shuttle bus that takes you to River Run that stops just outside the front door, I find myself walking frequently. It takes 5 minutes to walk and it sometimes takes 20 minutes for the bus just to arrive. On the way back from River Run, as the Gateway is the last stop, it can take quite a while to get back to the condo it you want to be dropped off right at the door.

Overall, I like the building, the price for rental compared to River Run Village is cheaper, the ground floor businesses are a great bonus, and the proximity to the lifts is nice. You can not have to use your car during your entire stay if you do not want to. My kids had fun and we definitely enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gateway Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!