“Four night stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Villa   |   21966 US Highway 6, East Keystone, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Four night stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I were pleased with Gateway Lodge. Amenities not as snazzy as the upscale condos, but the room were very clean and comfortable. If I go back, I'll stay there again.
Short walk to the ski lifts. Shuttle stop, convenient store and restaurant in the complex.
Keystone resort property is awesome.

Room Tip: Great value
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in a 3/3 + loft unit. It wasn't "fancy" but it was completely sufficient for our needs. It was clean,everything worked and the beds were comfortable. The bedrooms, baths and common spaces were plenty spacious for our group of eight. Garage parking and the breakfast place on the first floor were a plus. We rented a car and it was a very short drive to the ski area. There is a ski rental shop almost directly across the street (Mountain View Sports). It was a good value for us!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Brighton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked an efficiency condo here based on the Keystone Resort website advertising it as 4 star (I don't require fancy accommodations- just a comfortable place to sleep, so this wasn't so important) and walking distance to the slopes (MAJORLY important for this trip). I have never been so disappointed in a lodging choice, and I have stayed at some questionable places! We were there for 4 nights. These units do not receive housekeeping during your stay (maybe ever, since I found blueberries on the floor....we never brought blueberries to the room), which is fine- I am capable of making my own bed. But the unit was not stocked for the length of our stay. We ran out of toilet paper (there was only the partially used roll already hanging in the bathroom provided). I called to request more. It was delivered an hour later and only after a follow-up call asking when we could expect it.

The first morning I woke looking forward to a nice hot shower before hitting the slopes. After waiting at least 5 minutes with the shower handle turned all the way hot and getting no more than lukewarm water interrupted by shots of cold, I gave up. I called to report the lack of hot water. I was told the property manager would call to discuss the issue. They never did. We did eventually get hot water, but each time it would take upwards of 5 minutes to get it running through the spouts in the sink or tub.

What could be more enjoyable after skiing all day than relaxing your muscles in a hot tub, am I right?? If you agree, don't stay here! The "hot" tub was more like a barely warm tub- it was only slightly warmer than the pool! I was actually shivering sitting in it. Not relaxing at all.

The bed was HORRIBLE; the pillows were lumpy (one was too flat, but two was too much). Even the mangy sofa bed in the room was more comfortable than the actual bed. Neither of us got a good nights sleep even though we were exhausted from being out on the slopes all day.

As far as being advertised as walking distance to the slopes, I guess that could be true if you weren't having to carry your equipment with you. I was minimum 5 minutes one way, maybe longer. We ended up driving to the lifts because it is not walkable with boots, poles and skis.

I noticed each night I would get really cold, but just figured it was because it's winter and, duh, it's cold. On the morning of our departure we got up much earlier and I was FREEZING. I checked the thermostat, which read barely 60 degrees. I tried to turn the heat on- even setting the fan to on and the temp to 80+ and got nothing.

Some positives about the place: room was a good size for being an efficiency, and had a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, dishes and utensils. There is a small convenience store out front on the main level for snacks, drinks, etc for your room. There also is a GREAT restaurant on the main level called Haywood Cafe. They have great breakfasts, excellent coffee, and unbelievable burgers. They open at 7am so you can get a good breakfast before heading out. Unfortunately, these few things are not enough to make me ever stay here again or recommend it to anyone. Spend a few more bucks for somewhere nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed in a beautiful corner room with 4BR and 4BA. Very nice sized rooms - each had it own bathroom. Easy bus ride to the lifts, and an easy walk to dinner/shopping. The bus ride home is a little long since it's the last stop. Lots of fun family activites in Keystone, and some great restaurants nearby. The condo was clean and the kitchen was well stocked with all the gadgets we needed. Views from the corner room were fantastic. Enjoyed the whirlpool, and the kids liked the pool. We liked the underground parking. Nice to have the shops located on the 1st level - especially the cafe. Fortunately, Keystone had the best early season snow this year - which made it a great choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great location in Keystone within walking distance to River Run. We liked the amenities and underground parking will be nice when we come back in the winter. Not many places in the area where you can get this much for your money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had read some not so great reviews about this place but I was trying to keep my cost down while attending TBEX2012 in Keystone so I went ahead and booked it. I was very happy to find that my room was clean and comfortable! It had a really comfortable king bed, a sitting area with a couch, table and a couple of chairs and had plenty of room to lounge or work in. The bathroom was clean and everything worked. The kitchonette was nice. I didn't cook anything but did use the refridgerator to store leftovers and keep my water cold.

My room was in the main lodge and overlooking the highway so it could be noisy if you left the window open and the air-conditioner was loud, but I just left it off and the window open until I was ready to go to sleep and then closed the window and was fine the rest of the night.

I was within easy walking distance to River Run Village with lots of places to eat or shop. And there was an underground parking garage so I didn't have to leave the rental car outside. Oh, and all the employees that I had contact with were friendly and helpful.

The only things I would suggest for improvement would be a quieter air-conditioner, and when checking in a map showing where my room is in the lodge, the elevators for that section and where the outside doors are that open with your card key.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Got a *great* deal for the money in the summer.

Pluses:

- Swimming pool
- Hot tub
- Wifi
- Washer and dry
- Great water pressure and temperature for showers
- Parking
- Nearby spa

Drawbacks:

- Bland - white walls with characterless trim, furniture, and decorations
- Getting worn - missing and non-functional window cranks, fluffless pillows, etc.
- No A/C - but only mattered one warm day in the summer
- Have to pick up keys down in Dillon rather than directly outside

Summary:

Blandly excels in the essential and does nothing more. If you want utilitarian comfort, this is it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family