“Stay at your own risk” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Villa   |   23110 Hwy. 6, East Keystone, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Dallas, Texas
“Stay at your own risk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I our recent trip to Keystone we stayed at this lodge. The layout is like a hotel, but it is no hotel. Check-in was a pain, because there are so many rental companies renting units here you have to find the correct check-in location to get your keys. The garage entrance is in the rear of the building so you have to drive around the building. They have the drive on one side marked as one-way, heed that because there are buses that come around the building. This was a bad point at night as well because the buses drive around all night long and don't stop until 2AM. We got to the rear of the building and the key card didn't work to open the garage. We had to go back to the rental office, the person there told us we needed another key. Why didn't the person who checked us in give us both keys... room key and common area key. This common area key opened the garage we were told. So, we went back to the Gateway building drove around the back used the common key card to open the garage door. We found a place to part. Note: There is limited parking available in the garage so be prepared to park outside if the garage is full. Once we got parked there were no luggage cart. To top it off the elevator we needed to take was out of order. There are two elevators, one for the east wing and one for the west wing. Our condo was located in the west wing. We had to haul all of out luggage up three flights of stairs. We finally go in the condo. The inside of the condo was nice, the pool area was nice for the most part, but the hot tub was really dirty so we didn't bother with that. The complex offers free WiFi, but the reception is poor unless your sitting in the hallway on the floor, and the speed wasn't fast at all (1.30Mbps sitting in the hallway with my laptop). I did call the support service for Resort Internet, they guy on the other end of the phone said there was nothing he could do for me, and that was the quality of service provided at the location by the HOA. Service: There is no service, it is an unmanned complex. Value: Your better of staying at the Keystone lodge we were told by locals. Sleep Quality: The bus goes around the building until 2AM, what do you think? Cleanliness: The complex is clean, but a little run down. Location: It is a 10 minute walk to the slopes. You can take the shuttle bus, but why stay here if you can stay at River Run in the heart of the resort. Rooms: The condo was nice, but you can get nice at other locations also. As for the skiing it was great. Keystone is a nice area, but the Gateway complex is a big miss and I would not recommend staying there.

Room Tip: Pets are only allowed if you own a unit at this complex.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Found this property listed side-by-side hotel rooms on a travel website (Orbitz, Expedia, or Travelocity). However, this was nothing like a hotel stay. Interior was tired and lack of maintenance showed (rotten window frame made it unable to close; 1980's TV had static; holes in sheets). Room was not aired out when we arrived which made me wonder if they even changed the sheets. Management staff was poor, telling me different stories about responsibilities of housekeeping after they did not show up two days in a row...3 people, 3 different stories. One person told me I called the wrong number because they do not have a male on staff at that time...what?! Their solution was to bring more towels and sheets and we changed the bed ourselves. After five days the old sheets and towels piled up in bathroom (lovely) and I was told that only if you stay 6 nights do you get a "deluxe" cleaning (how convenient). Also, no front desk to help you with any problems or check you in...I had to drive to 2 other places to find out where to go when I arrived late that evening. No one directed me to the right place or told me this was the case during the reservation process. Moral of the story, I will never stay here (especially for close to $200/night) again and hope you do not either unless you WANT to anger your wife off.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I recently went on the annual guys ski trip. We decided on keystone this year before we realized that the snowfall was unfavorable in Keystone. The gateway lodge is pretty decent. They did however advertise that the lifts were just over 100 yards which was more like 500 yards. The nice part is when the shuttle picks you up at the front door, your next stop is the mountain. The downside is that when you are dead tired from skiing all day, you are the last stop, so each time you go back to the condo, you get a tour of the ski village.

The condo was pretty nice. The carpet was dirty and not vacuumed very well. The condo had two large bathrooms with showers and large tubs which was very nice. We couldn't get the fire place to work and the appliances where worn but got us through. Bedding was below average, but we were dead tired from skiing everyday so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Hot tub and pool in the basement were great, really enjoyed it after a long day on the slopes. There is basically a strip mall below the complex where you can rent ski's and purchase snacks/adult beverages. The shops made it very convenient. We also enjoyed the underground parking below the complex with elevator access to the rooms.

Overall, a pretty decent place with many conveniences. I just wish it was within walking distance with ski boots on. Yet the shuttle every 20 minutes does the trick. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I booked an efficiency through Keystone Resort for an early December ski camp @ A-basin.
Pros. 1. Convenient to US-6. 2. Comfortable bed. 3. Indoor parking.
Cons. 1. Housekeeping services were terrible to non-existant, no evidence of vacuuming. 2. Faucets leaked in the bathroom. 3. Ancient 19" CRT TV with non-functional remote. 4. Key to ski locker provided on day 5 of stay. 5. Used towels left on floor were refolded and hung as fresh...I marked them to be sure. 6. Dim lighting. 7. The hot tub is indoors, stiflingly warm, and heavily chlorinated. 8. Unresponsive middle management would not return phone calls. I had to track down the senior property manager at his office. He refunded 25% without argument and apologized.

Room Tip: The units are individually owned. If you have to stay there, I would insist on seeing the unit first...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Avoid Gateway Mountain Lodge. The problems with this Keystone Resort property are not confined to this building. The real problem is the shockingly poor management which must extend to other properties they manage. Instead of hiring people with hotel management experience, they hire ski fanatics who have to earn a living somehow. If you have small children, it's just not safe.

Here's the problems with the building:
1. It's over heated in the common areas. If you walk out of your unit dressed to ski, you are extremely hot by the time you get out of the building. Our unit, and the neighbors had the same complaint, was so hot that we turned off the heat at the thermostat for the entire stay. We had to open windows at night to cool it down to sleep.
2. Upon leaving at 11 AM on New Years Day, the vomit was still on the floor of the elevator.
3.The luggage cart had a flat tire, which we discovered once we loaded it.

Our experience was with Unit 5042 in late December 2011. It wasn't really ready for us.
1. Damage - LARGE water damage mark in corner of the master bedroom.
2. SHOCK HAZARD - plug cover missing next to dining room table.
3. Inoperable - overhead living room light not working. We tried every possible switch. Were all the lightbulbs burned out or did the water damage short the circuit, possibly creating another shock hazard?
4. FIRE HAZARD - no lint trap in the dryer.
5. HAZARD - master bed had loose bolts connecting the head board to the bed frame.
6. HAZARD - rail missing in stair case railing. Fortunately, we had no small children in our group.
7. Refrigerator shelves broken, effectively reducing it's storage capacity.
8. Multiple faucets leaked around the handles or base when turned on.
9. Upstairs bedroom & bathroom, the door locks opened just by turning the door handle on the outside.
10. Multiple lightbulbs out in the bathrooms, bedrooms, and dining room fixtures.
11. Initially, the front door scraped only at the end of its swing. Then it started scraping up the tile at the beginning of the swing and making a terrible noise.
12. The master bedroom lacked a clock, an overhead light, a closet light, sufficient light, a towel, a pool towel.
13. No toilet paper holder in the upstairs bathroom. I could go on....

You can see those. How well is the building being maintained in ways I could not see? Was the pool properly maintained for public health? Were the bathrooms properly sanitized? Were the fire codes being followed?

I took this up with management before leaving, after 3 weeks and my threatening to put the credit card payment in dispute, they offered 7% off. I told them I was insulted. Eventually, they offered 15% off which I accepted but think was still insufficient.

This was my 3rd time to Keystone, but my 1st and last time at a Keystone Resort property. Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Look into properties offered by individuals and companies not associated with Keystone Resorts. If y...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We are staying in Gateway at the moment and it's great. We have unit 5041 which is plenty big enough for our two families of 5, so total 10 people. It could sleep a few more if some of them were couples. It's extremely well equipped, beds are comfortable and it's ultra clean. It has a few tvs, blue ray player, x-box for the kids and each room is ensuite. Lounge room is big and sofa very comfy after a hard day skiing! Shuttle bus stops right outside front door and it's only minutes into River Run. We are enjoying the night skiing at Keystone and even though the snow has been really poor up to now, Keystone has great snow making capabilies and so there are plenty of blues and greens to ski, no blacks unfortunately but that's the same at all the resorts right now.

I would thoroughly recommend this condo - I ended up getting quite friendly with the owner and he has been extremely helpful. If anyone is interested in getting his details please message me. I don't think all the rooms in Gateway are as good as this one so it pays to be choosy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We rented a 3 bedroom at gateway. Very cozy. They have an garage. Great for the winter. River run was in walking distance! We hardly rode the bus. Snowboard rentals were right next to gateway! Christy's sports. Much cheaper than the one in the village!! Gateway is very quiet. We cooked everyday while we were there. All amenities were working. Never had any problem with anything at gateway! We booked through keystoneresorts.com

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Gateway Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!