“Absolutely Charming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ski Tip Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Ski Tip Lodge
You added Ski Tip Lodge to your Saves list
764 Montezuma Rd., Keystone, CO 80435   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Keystone B&B and Inns
New York
“Absolutely Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

I can't rave enough about the Ski Tip Lodge-- the location, the charm, the decor, everything was fantastic! My stay was limited to only a few days and I was so sorry to have to leave. From the included hot breakfast (your choice of three in addition to the more standard cold offerings of fruits, cereals, and yogurt) to warming up by the fire in the afternoon during "tea time" (coffee, tea, and two different small dessert offerings laid out in the sitting room between 3:30 and 5), it truly was like a little fairytale lodge in the moutains. It's easy to forget that only two minutes down the road is the busier Keystone Lodge, shops, and ski areas which makes the Ski Tip Lodge even more desirable for those needing to feel they are truly getting away. Reading by the fire and chatting with the other guests made for pleasant and relaxing evenings. Though I did not try dinner myself, I heard from several other guests that it was fantastic.

Travelers should note that this is a true bed and breakfast-- small but cozy rooms and limited amenities. This is not the place for Blackberry addicts and Crowne Plaza die-hards... unless you can put that lifestyle aside for a few days and enjoy something a bit more simple.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

This place far exceeded my expectations...
From the moment we stepped through the front door, we felt instantly welcomed and warm. We checked in during tea time, where tea, coffe and cake were served in the front room. After a day of cross country skiing, this was a wonderful surprise! We settled into some high back chairs in the front room and enjoyed watching the snow fall. Then we went to our room for a nap before dinner. The room was well appointed and tastefully decorated- not large, but a very comfortable size. After dinner we settled by the fire with a few of their excellent after-dinner drink specials.

I usually stay at places that have at least a hot tub. So, I was anticipating some disappointment. However, once I was there, I didn't miss that for a second. The atmosphere and accomodations were so relaxing. We both felt quite refreshed when we had to check out the next day.

The staff (reception & restaurant) were all so pleasant and accomodating. Everything about the stay was effortless.

• Liked — Tea time
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
MIDLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

Sept 18-21 2008

May wife and I stayed here 3 days for a wedding. Wedding held at the lodge. The staff did a wonderful job of setting the property for the outdoor wedding, reception and sit-down dinner. Ski Tip Lodge is small 10-12 rooms. Yes, the rooms are small. The baths are small but very clean and well appointed. There is no phone or TV in rooms.There was an internet connection in lodge office that was useful. This is the place to escape from the phone & TV.
There are 2 public rooms with large wood burning fireplaces, large chairs and couches all around, a small full bar and dining room. The public rooms look out at the mountains and small stream running along the back patio. The dining room is a place for a gourmet dinner at night and a full, cook-to-order breakfast in the morning. The breakfast comes with the room. The rooms have queen or king beds and ok furniture...not fancy, but useful. If you need a lot of extra accommodations such as pool, hot tub, work-out room do not stay here. If you want a Colorado rocky mountain small lodge experience, this is the place.
The gourmet dinner would be good for 1 night. Quite romantic! There are several good restaurants in Keystone 3-5 minutes away. Also the ski lifts are 5 minutes away.
The staff is what makes this place special. During our stay there were several request and each was promptly answered with willingness and sincere enthusiasm. Bridget was especially helpful as all the staff was and each very informative and friendly as well as accessable. We would stay here again

• Liked — Great service & staff Wonderful location
  • Disliked — Rooms on the small side
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

Sometimes you have to believe in divine intervention - lol! Only one room left in Keystone for under $200 (before tax) and it turns out to be the perfect romantic getaway -

1) effortless reservation through the Keystone toll-free line
2) minutes from River Run Village - it took us more time to get turned around from Tenderfoot parking lot than it did to arrive at the lodge
3) we check in after a long (but great) day of skiing and hubby immediately sinks into the down comforter bed - lights out for the next three hours, while
4) I walk in my socks to the lounge and curl up with a book in a loveseat in front of a picture window facing the mountains, while a party of six relax and chat with wine/drinks in front of the fireplace before dinner
5) went back to the room and took a wonderful hot bath in the fully kitted out bathroom, then
6) ahh - dinner fit for a King - hands down the best meal I have ever had, and to top it off, we are shooed back into the lounge to enjoy our dessert (with fresh linens and very attentive service) in front of a roaring fire

Note: no TV, no phone, no idea if there is computer access, rooms are cozy - not so sure that the B&B would be a good choice for a family with small children

But for parents on a 24 hour break - it was a perfect experience - we will absolutely positively make this an annual tradition ;-)

• Liked — Ambience, service
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

My brother got married here in early December. I have not been to the Keystone before, and this is my second trip to the Denver area. The lodge is rustic, so if you are looking for a modern ski lodge, this isn't your spot. Two gathering spots with large fireplaces provide a nice place to sit and unwind with friends or family after a day on the slopes. The dining area is nice, but you are really there for the food, which is excellent. For example, we enjoyed a starter of venison sausage with pheasant ravioli, and a main course of ostrich and pork tips, followed by a lava cake. Our server recommended a wonderful Malbec selection which paired with our meal perfectly. We capped the night off with a Ski Tip coffee. Our accomodations were nice, but small. The bathroom was big enough, but we had a few small problems. The toilet leaked a touch, and the water temp would vary a bit while showering due to - I presume - other guests showering at the same time. I didn't see a temperature gauge in our room, so we were left to regulate our heat by opening the window at night. Yet, given all these distractions, the lodge offers guests a unique experience balanced between great food and old world charm. As long as you know what you are getting into, the lodge can offer you a wonderful retreat from today's hussle, bustle and Blackberries.

Stayed December 2007
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

The place is not worst place but its definitly not wonderful either. I think the value is lacking for the price. The bathrooms definitly need to be remodeled. The room is extremely tiny. The shower experience is the worst shower since I lived in Brasil. Its a guessing game as to if you will be scorched or frozen to death by the water. It was a very long shower jumping in and out of the water every twenty seconds. The one plus is the amazing goose down blankets. They were so nice to have when you are tired and frozen from the skiing. However the big white stain on the comforter cover was a bit nauseating. My husband and I were very excited the night we checked in to try dinner at their restaurant. Before breakfast we decided that we would eat dinner at the lodge for our big night out. After eating two bites of the breakfast we quickly changed our minds. If you want to a good night out go to the KEYSTONE RANCH for dinner...the food and ambiance was exactly what I was looking for!!! If you go to Keystone do not miss it! I am pretty sure that I would and could overlook all of the other details if the ski tip lodge was not missing a very important ingredient that most B&B's offer...charm. The place felt cold, and no it wasn't becuase it was 12 degrees outside. While the staff was nice they weren't exactly thrilled to help you. In most B&B's there is a time in the afternoon when most of the guests will come down to the meeting area and the hosts will arrange a little meet and great or something to that effect. The people at this lodge were way to busy preparing for the dinner rush that the people who were congregating in the area were brushed aside. Trying to find someone who would bring you a hot chocolate or a glass of wine took about twenty minutes. Also when I came back from skiing I expected to see a nice roaring fire in either one of the gorgeous fireplaces. Of course they were not lit and I had to hunt someone down to light one. B&B's are usually a bit rustic and run down but what they don't have in ammenities they have in charm...I just don't feel like there was any charm or attention given to guests. I would just recommend staying away from this place

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2007

My husband and I have stayed here twice - once in March 2005, and once in March 2004. I have just started using Trip Advisor again, so thought I'd add our review.

First, I have to say that the previous poster from England must have had a very unfortunate experience; this is most likely the exception, though, and not the rule. We found the B&B to be charming, and loved the ambience. The staff is very helpful, too; the front desk manager even offered me the name of a recommended chiropractor in the area when I injured myself skiing. (And yes, he was excellent!)

Rooms:
As for the rooms, no, they are not the largest hotel rooms, nor are they the newest. I'm not sure what the previous poster was referring to re: "antiques", but the rooms are generally well appointed. The bathrooms could use a bit of updating, but it's nothing terrible, just older tile and countertops. The rest of the B&B and the ambience more than makes up for it, IMHO. Also, some of the rooms are definitely nicer than others; it is worthwhile to contact the front desk before you make your booking, and talk to them about the various room types.

Ex: Our first stay in 2004, we were in a downstairs room with not much of a view (very small window.) Not a big deal, but for 2005 I called and requested a room with a view of the patio and mountain area, and the room was much nicer! So, just be aware that there are different room types, and they will try to help you out if you have a specific request.

Food:
We enjoyed breakfast each morning. However, if the B&B needs a new chef, that could be a problem, but we had no complaints while we were there. In fact, the breakfasts were outstanding! Mascarpone cheese stuffed French Toast, elaborate omelettes, etc.

Also, I'm not sure if they still do this, but they used to have complimentary afternoon tea, which was a nice treat. We would go skiing in the morning until mid-afternoon, come back for a rest and for tea, and then go back for night skiing. (Night skiing is only in spring, though.) They have a wonderful "great room" where you can sit by the fire, or next to the huge picture windows, and watch Keystone Mountain.

They also have a "hidden" cookie jar at the top of the stairs that's kept filled - great for a late night snack!

The restaurant serves a special 4 course dinner nightly, (we never ate there, though) and the dinner guests usually enjoy their desserts in the great room or the second "fireplace room", making for a kind of festive atmosphere each evening. We liked it, anyway! Everyone was always quite friendly.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B, especially for couples or groups of adults. It might not be so great for children, however, as there are no activities for them - but I also say that b/c we did get tired of hearing the little kids run up and down the stairs next to our room early in the morning! There happened to be a family staying there for a couple of days, and the kids were a bit wild.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps!

Stayed March 2005

Been to Ski Tip Lodge? Share your experiences!