“A unique and beautiful property with delightful service” 5 of 5 stars

Ski Tip Lodge
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   764 Montezuma Rd., Keystone, CO 80435   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Keystone B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“A unique and beautiful property with delightful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

As another reviewer noted, this B&B is unique. It was built as a carriage stop in the late 1800s and then a private residence for the family that founded Arapahoe Basin and Keystone. Now it is available as a gorgeous bed and breakfast and first rate (and I mean absolutely exquisite) dinner restaurant. I have never stayed anywhere quite like it, especially here in Colorado. The rooms are beautiful and typical of the best bed and breakfasts we have stayed in. There is only one room without a bathroom in the room, all of the others are well furnished. No, they do not have televisions or even telephones in the rooms and that helps compete the charm of the place. Some are small, and yes if you are staying downstairs you can sometimes hear people walking around above you, and if you are staying upstairs you can hear some noise from downstairs. Please, let me emphasize that I am sensitive to noise and I travel with earplugs because I wake easily. This small, unavoidable drawback will not keep me away. There are just way too many positives!
I will be back to enjoy Ski Tip Lodge again. We will again enjoy the magnificent dinner here (DO NOT miss dinner here, I really can't recommend it highly enough), relax and read by the fire after dinner while enjoying drinks from the bar. Did I mention that breakfast is excellent? Did I mention that the service was fantastic? Take my recommendation and have dinner here (at least one night) and stay in one of the quaint, charming rooms in this beautiful old log house. I was taken to another place and time that was so welcoming, I can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: 907, 909, Suite 911/912. The innkeeper will be glad to offer suggestions!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let me start by saying that I love the Ski Tip. My husband does not. This is a very unique, rustic property. That's exactly what I love about it. No TVs, you sit around a community lounge in the evenings, tiny rooms with drafty windows and antiques, a shortage of electrical outlets, creaky floors, funky hallways ... a real throwback to the wild skiing west.

My husband just gets frustrated by the small-ness of everything, the low ceilings, the creaking and groaning of the wood in the building. The old bathrooms irritate him. Sure, they are antique with tarnished brass fixtures and worn porcelain, but that is the charm.

The staff here are exceptional, as is the on-site restaurant. The lounge area is perfect ... comfy seating, giant fireplace. You should spend most of your time here, not in the small bedrooms. The wifi is spotty, except in the common areas. Even then, usually it's not strong enough to stream movies or videos ... there is no TV. At all. You read and play board games. I love that.

So, if you are able to enjoy simple things, and love history, you will probably share my love of this place. If you need things to be more modern, on a larger scale, feel more connected with technology or want more privacy, then this is probably not the place for you.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms are a bit more quiet, but you will hear water moving, creaky floors, rain, noisy n...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous dinner last night, in this quaint B&B, our third time here and always perfect. Food is delectable and just the perfect size portions, ambiance is like nothing else close by, and the service is top notch! We'll be coming back for many years!

• Stayed March 2014
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Ski Tip Lodge this weekend as part of my fiance, John's birthday celebrations. Had a delicious, delicious dinner (though pricey, but hey, it was a special occasion) on Friday night, enjoyed dessert by the snuggly fireplace, where the room of fellow travelers who were doing the same sang happy birthday along with our server, as she presented him his dessert with a candle :) That's what this place does, though-- it makes strangers sing with you! Ski Tip really feels more like someone's cozy home in Austria that we've all been invited to. Following that great sweet top off to the meal, we sleepily climbed upstairs to our room. Can't beat that! Plus, the snow was falling like crazy (see my pic). What a little dream of a spot. We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: I didn't love our location on the "road side" of the house because the street light is...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I don't know why I am writing this review - I really would prefer The Ski Tip Lodge to remain one of the best kept secrets of the Rockies.

Quite simply - it is fabulous. The bedrooms and bathrooms may be a bit small and quirky but this is a bed and breakfast and not a hotel. However the beds are terrific and the hospitality from every member of staff is beyond reproach.

The food in the dining room is some of the very best we have had in the United States. Wonderfully creative and yet not over complicated. This is complemented by a great wine list with lots of good value curiosities from around the world. This praise extends to the breakfasts which are excellent - need to lose a few pounds now that we are home.

Add to this mix the very cosiest lounges with roaring fires and good company then it is hard to think of anywhere else in Colorado that matches this experience. It is reminiscent of the best Swiss or Austrian mountain chalets but there is no mistaking that this is Colorado - "Alpine Americana"

We'll be back! I just hope it doesn't become so popular that we can't get booked next time!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Was a quaint place close to river run keystone. No TV. But great cozy room More like a bed and breakfast place. Food and service was excellent . Would love to go back in summertime. Beautiful surroundings. Price was very reasonable. You do have to take shuttle to ski area but very close. Would highly recommend to friends. A large group would have fun here hanging out in evenings in living room downstairs by fireplace.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
DENVER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Such a charming spot! In the past few years I had eaten dinner here a couple of times and always really enjoyed it, so when a couple of my college friends decided to come out for a mini reunion, it seemed like a perfect chance to actually spend the night at The Ski Tip. We had the little two bedroom suite with a private bath, and it was lovely. The beds were exceptionally comfy and the complimentary breakfast was terrific. You really do feel transported back in time - no phones or TVs (the wifi was great, so if you really need to you can watch TV on your PC). My only complaint would be the noise as all the guests made their way to their rooms. This is an old building and the floors creaked as folks walked on them. The good news is, the inn is small so the noise came early and was short-lived. I absolutely plan to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Ski Tip Lodge? Share your experiences!