“Historic, rustic, wonderful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ski Tip Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Ski Tip Lodge
764 Montezuma Rd., Keystone, CO 80435   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Keystone B&B and Inns
“Historic, rustic, wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here 3/8/13 - 3/10/13 in Keystone for a company sponsored event. A friend suggested the Ski Tip and I had no idea what to expect. When I first arrived I was a little skeptical but ended up really loving the place. In Keystone I've stayed at the Lodge and in the River Run condos, all fine, but Ski Tip was really a place apart. I loved enjoying coffee in the front room looking out at the wonderful view. The bar area with the fireplace is fantastic and the breakfast is simply outstanding. I stayed in room 8 "Max's Manor" and it was comfortable and I enjoyed quiet time there. If you are considering Ski Tip and aren't familiar with it...do your homework on it. As I mentioned, it is rustic and different than anywhere else I've stayed in the area (some rooms you have to share a bathroom and there are no tv's but there is wifi) but I will, some day, go back to experience it again and for a longer period of time. You get the feeling you are away from the hustle of River Run and Mountain House which is good but if you want to be in the middle of that, it's just a short shuttle ride away.

Room Tip: Just be aware to do your homework when checking into Ski Tip, some rooms have to share bathrooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have been going to the Ski Tip for special occasion meals for many years. We’ve celebrated many anniversaries, birthdays and one memorable Christmas there. In summer we are frequent visitors to wine tastings on the patio. Each time I thought I’d like to stay overnight and this winter we finally did. What a treat! I knew what to expect from the restaurant, wonderful as usual. The lodge was just as great. The staff, thank you Mandi, made it a very special evening for us. Our room was cute and the bedding super cozy. I wanted to move in!

One thing that I did not expect was the value of staying at Ski Tip. If you compare it to any other lodging option at Keystone it is a great deal. Consider that included is tea with cakes and snacks in the afternoon, lovely hot breakfast in the AM, cookies in the cookie jars, free parking and shuttle service at the door, I hate to say bargain since it is not a bargain type atmosphere but let’s just say wow great deal!

Now I want to stay in summer to enjoy the patio and views. It is close enough to walk to River Run but far enough away that you feel removed from things. Very relaxing. Bring a book, slippers and hang out by the fire, we did and it was wonderful. If you want something completely different from a chain/resort experience Ski Tip is it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had a tiny room in a wonderful old building. The core was built in the 1860s. Although small, the rooms were clean and the staff was amazing. We were close to everything and the free shuttle even took us to Breckinridge. Great vacation stay for everyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff (and food!) were beyond compare during our recent 5-night ski vacation. Such a welcoming home away from home at the end of an exhausting day on the slopes. A warm drink in front of a roaring fire .... how cozy! And breakfast each morning was amazing!!! We will definitely return!! Don't miss this intimate way to experience time in the beautiful Rockies!

• Stayed February 2013
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I just spent two nights at Ski Tips, the 150+-year old former stagecoach stop, and can't recommend it highly enough. The staff is absolutely outstanding in their desire to make you comfortable and happy. Dinner was pricey (though overnight guests enjoy a 15% discount) but delicious and the service impeccable. Dessert by the fire in the lounge was lovely (and what desserts they were!). Impossible to believe that the amazing breakfast offerings were included in the price of the room. Unfortunately, we didn't take advantage of the complementary mid-day snacks and afternoon "tea", but I wish we had. If you can't live without a tv don't stay here, but if you want a charming, delightful, peaceful experience -- it can't be beat. Minutes to the slopes of Keystone, and a shuttle runs every 20 minutes from right across the street.

Room Tip: Room # 7 ("Sunriose) is a corner room with private bath and a very comfy bed! Right over the di...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had a business dinner here quite a while ago. The ambience is nostalgic and cozy. I had the bison filet and my partner had the lamb cheeks. Both exquisite. Great flavor and perfectly prepared. We then had dessert in the main room with the fireplace, relaxing and talking. I would love to stay at the lodge with my husband because it seemed very romantic.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Ski Tip Lodge in Keystone, Colorado (Lodging)
We stayed at Ski Tip Lodge for three nights in June and really enjoyed our stay.

Originally built as a stagecoach stop in the 1880s and opened as the first ski lodge in the state in the 1940s, the lodge itself is a bit of an architectural mishmash: Part Swiss chalet, part log cabin, part Italian villa. Don’t be put off by that: Inside, it is simply a glorious log cabin, with hand-hewn log walls, picture windows overlooking a mountain pond, and huge fireplaces. The public rooms on the main floor are comfortable and full of character, perfect for relaxing at the end of the day. There is full bar service and a well-chosen and interesting wine list is also available.

The downside of staying at the Ski Tip Lodge is that it is old, with small, somewhat quirky guest rooms that are in need of updating. Our hot water was, perhaps, shared with the kitchen. Each morning, halfway through an otherwise perfect shower, the water would turn sizzling hot and stay that way. There was no changing it. My husband, showering in mid-morning after the kitchen had closed and most other guests were off for the day, never had this problem. (I think the diverter was broken, limiting the amount of cold water reaching the shower, as the faucet below didn’t have this extreme temperature problem.) Other quirks included a cabinet (the only place to put clothes) that would only stay closed when completely empty, leaving us dodging the edges of the door every time we needed to cross the room to, say, use the bathroom. The stairs and guest room halls are narrow and the tiny window had an uninspiring view of the roof and the parking lot. When we were there, internet access was not available. While clean and comfortable enough, the guest rooms are not high class accommodations.

But then, the real reason to stay here (besides those public rooms with the massive fireplaces) is the acclaimed restaurant. The breakfast included in the room rate is not to be missed, with a broad selection of items available, including a couple gourmet options cooked to order. There are always fresh cookies available, should one need a big of an energy lift during the day. However, the real highlight is the wonderful four-course fixed price dinner available in the lodge’s restaurant. Lodge guests get a 15% discount on dinner, which makes it a good value, and there is a three-course children’s menu available. The night we ate there the menu included two soup choices, two salad options, 4-6 meat and fish entrees, and another half dozen desserts. The beautifully prepared and presented meals consist mostly of traditional entrees given a fresh, modern flair. Servings are large and dessert is served either in the plain Jane dining room or in one of those wonderful public rooms with the log walls and antique furnishings. Wine pairings are also available, but are not eligible for the guest discount.

Both lodge and food/beverage service was excellent, with a staff that is competent, happy to be working here, and eager to please their guests. It feels a lot like being a guest in someone’s home.

The lodge is walking distance to the lifts at River Run and is served by the resort shuttle.

Even though the guest rooms aren’t anything special, I would gladly stay here again just for the ambiance and the restaurant discount. It’s a chance to live in a piece of history for a few days and to eat very, very well while doing so.

Room Tip: Rooms above the dining room tend to be noisier.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ski Tip Lodge? Share your experiences!