“Bummed at first, but changed mind quick!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Expedition Station at River Run

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Expedition Station at River Run
River Run Rd, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Fenton, Michigan
“Bummed at first, but changed mind quick!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at Expedition Station 8561. When we first arrived, I was bummed out. The video of the condo didn't show the garbage cans under the window or the electricity station right outside the window. It also didn't mention the underground garage doors being right under the condo and the fact that every time they opened, the floor shook and it made a loud noise. Then they sent us a survey to fill out on the second morning. I told them about the thermostat not working well and the pan in the kitchen being gross. They sent someone up to fix it right away. They even fixed the shower head that was weak. So my mind changed…..even though it was still loud with the garage door being opened and closed all the time. And we were facing the mountain too! ADVICE….if you are not used to the mountain altitude use a humidifier in the room. It really helped us a lot!!!

Room Tip: Get one that faces the mountain. It is great to see it every morning! Ask about how far it is to w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Had a very nice weekend stay in Keystone. Expedition Station has nice amenities, including a hot tub, heated pool, and pool table. The room was clean, kitchen well stocked, and had a fireplace to make it cozy. On top of everything, it is right in the River Run Village with restaurants, shops, and rentals as well as the main gondola within walking distance. We lucked out with a groupon and so the price was great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Parkland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We rented unit #8558 which was on the first floor, next to the ski lockers, which was very handy. The condo is a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo. We were very ahppy with the location (walking distance to the gondola and ski schools) and in the downtown keystone / river run area. Lots of restaurants walking distance also. Parking was underground in a very dark, small garage. The condo is much smaller than it appears online in pictures. My big complaint was there was no place to unpack. There were two tiny nightstands and that was it. The closet was stuffed with odds and ends and there were 3 hangers. When I vacation for a week, it is much easier to be able to unpack for our family of four. The other issue was the murphy bed. You had to move the kitchen table and chairs in front of the fireplace in order to open this. The kitchen is a nice size and up to date. The lodge itself was clean. There is a pool table and a tv in a common area. Would be nice to have multiple washer / dryer units per floor. Both times we did laundry we had to use another floors. Would recommend expedition station and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our one bedroom unit looked out on the mountains and had plenty of space for our family. The unit, #8561, was had everything we needed to eat-in, but the location in River Run allowed us ample opportunity to walk to restaurants. The location, near the gondola was ideal. Very quiet condo with the only mild annoyance being the noise from the garage door beneath the room, that was a minimal concern though. The building manager, Winston, and the staff were helpful and personable. We rented from Summit Cove and seemed to get a great deal during spring break.

Room Tip: Be aware that Keystone does end its season earlier than other resorts. Our last night, the place wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend staying here if in keystone. I have no complaints whatsoever. The room is clean and the kitchen is well stocked. The condo is signifigantly larger than I expected. From here you have easy access to the River Run Village and the Gondola that takes you to the top of the mountain.

• Stayed April 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Expedition station is one of the buildings in the River Run Village area by the main gondola. It's probably the farthest away while still in River Run, but it's still an easy walk, 250 yds. perhaps. It also means you're not next to a bar in the main village area (I don't know how lively things were - we went to bed early). There's underground parking, an outdoor pool and hot tub, an exercise room, ski lockers, pool table, and probably some more things we didn't discover. There's a skating rink out front too.

As condos, all units will be decorated differently, so there's some benefit to renting from the owner or a rental service where you can see photos of your actual unit. Our one-bedroom was in good shape and has nice features like granite countertops, stone fireplace (gas), flat screen TVs in both rooms, and both a murhpy bed and a sofa bed in the living area, so it could sleep six. It was also well furnished in the kitchen, and even had a humidifier. It came stocked with small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion like a hotel (which I didn't expect), but unless you pay more, there's no maid service (at least for 3 days or less) so you could run out if you stay a while and don't bring some. There were starting supplies of coffee, sugar, and S&P, and cleaning supplies as well.

Keystone had a offer if you rent from them directly, kids ski free. It's usually more expensive, and you can't tell what unit you'll get (other than general size) nor the building, but if you have a large brood in tow, it's likely worth taking the chance. With just one, it was better just to rent from the owner for me - try vbro.com for those.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

None of the Keystone lodging options appeal to me. I much preferred the condo we rented in Steamboat Springs last month, but I attend a conference here regularly so I had to pick something. Mostly, I chose this option because I like the covered, heated parking that allows me to head over to the conference center at 7 am in a warm car without having to budget extra time for snow removal and it is walking distance to the lifts. I booked a "River Run 1 bedroom Condo" (having learned on a past visit that the studios can have very awkwardly placed murphy beds) reserved through the Keystone reservation service and was unpleasantly surprised to find myself in the Expedition Station building. Most of the other "River Run Condo" bookings are in buildings that are on the courtyard above the restaurants and shops and a lot closer to the lifts.

Using the booking service does mean that they will have to give you a room somewhere but the problem is you have very little control over where that room is.

I realize that VRBO also has its potential downsides but I think I will try that next year so that I know exactly what I am getting and maybe can pick something with nicer furnishings. The unit I was given had the typical property management unit low end furnishings with dirty carpet, hard pillows, an tube style television in the bedroom requiring a deep cabinet that made it hard to walk around the bed, and a lack of attention to the shower faucet which had poor water pressure and a dysfunctional stream of water.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Expedition Station at River Run? Share your experiences!