“Very good place to stay. Good location near village.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Expedition Station at River Run

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Expedition Station at River Run
You added Expedition Station at River Run to your Saves list
River Run Rd, Keystone, CO 80435   |
“Very good place to stay. Good location near village.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend staying here if in keystone. I have no complaints whatsoever. The room is clean and the kitchen is well stocked. The condo is signifigantly larger than I expected. From here you have easy access to the River Run Village and the Gondola that takes you to the top of the mountain.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Expedition station is one of the buildings in the River Run Village area by the main gondola. It's probably the farthest away while still in River Run, but it's still an easy walk, 250 yds. perhaps. It also means you're not next to a bar in the main village area (I don't know how lively things were - we went to bed early). There's underground parking, an outdoor pool and hot tub, an exercise room, ski lockers, pool table, and probably some more things we didn't discover. There's a skating rink out front too.

As condos, all units will be decorated differently, so there's some benefit to renting from the owner or a rental service where you can see photos of your actual unit. Our one-bedroom was in good shape and has nice features like granite countertops, stone fireplace (gas), flat screen TVs in both rooms, and both a murhpy bed and a sofa bed in the living area, so it could sleep six. It was also well furnished in the kitchen, and even had a humidifier. It came stocked with small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion like a hotel (which I didn't expect), but unless you pay more, there's no maid service (at least for 3 days or less) so you could run out if you stay a while and don't bring some. There were starting supplies of coffee, sugar, and S&P, and cleaning supplies as well.

Keystone had a offer if you rent from them directly, kids ski free. It's usually more expensive, and you can't tell what unit you'll get (other than general size) nor the building, but if you have a large brood in tow, it's likely worth taking the chance. With just one, it was better just to rent from the owner for me - try vbro.com for those.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

None of the Keystone lodging options appeal to me. I much preferred the condo we rented in Steamboat Springs last month, but I attend a conference here regularly so I had to pick something. Mostly, I chose this option because I like the covered, heated parking that allows me to head over to the conference center at 7 am in a warm car without having to budget extra time for snow removal and it is walking distance to the lifts. I booked a "River Run 1 bedroom Condo" (having learned on a past visit that the studios can have very awkwardly placed murphy beds) reserved through the Keystone reservation service and was unpleasantly surprised to find myself in the Expedition Station building. Most of the other "River Run Condo" bookings are in buildings that are on the courtyard above the restaurants and shops and a lot closer to the lifts.

Using the booking service does mean that they will have to give you a room somewhere but the problem is you have very little control over where that room is.

I realize that VRBO also has its potential downsides but I think I will try that next year so that I know exactly what I am getting and maybe can pick something with nicer furnishings. The unit I was given had the typical property management unit low end furnishings with dirty carpet, hard pillows, an tube style television in the bedroom requiring a deep cabinet that made it hard to walk around the bed, and a lack of attention to the shower faucet which had poor water pressure and a dysfunctional stream of water.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
St. Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We don't ask for much in ski lodging and Expedition Station did not disappoint. The two bedroom we rented was more than big enough for four adults, and with the exception of the blinds on the sliding door to the deck which could not be pulled up (meaning entanglement in the slats was part of the "getting to the deck" experience), everything worked. The rooms were clean (though the bathroom could have been better ventilated, and showerhead water pressure was poor), the beds were comfortable, and everything was in good shape. Check-In, even after hours (2 am) was easy at the Keystone Lodge and Spa. The location is right next to the Village, with shops and restaurants all there. If you like to ice skate, the rink is just out the front door. It is NOT ski-in ski-out, but a medium length walk to the closest lift (which some might find uncomfortable with ski boots on, but really it is no big deal). The hot tub could have been larger, though that may have been a function of the number of frat boys who hogged it rather than its actual size. (Note - they were the exception, not the rule, when it comes to the type of guests.), and the fact that the pool was open and well heated was a nice touch. Under the building parking is very convenient, even if the spaces are rather small for big SUV's, and it could get crowded. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We rented two two bedroom units and one was vastly superior to the other - so there is some luck of the draw when making reservations. If both were like the lesser unit would have been a bit disappointed. That said these units are clean, well operated and in the village. Decor was basic but nice and appropriate for a ski resort. Plenty of locker space and underground parking. Only minor complaint was that we were told unit was 50 yards from lift and while there are some River Run buildings at that distance ours was more like 400 yards - still close but there is still a need to lug gear.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Checkin was efficient, loved the underground parking. The unit was very clean and comfortable with everything needed. Great sized two bedroom unit, with a view of the slopes. Smoke detector was beeping when we arrived, but resolved by maintenance while we were on the slopes. There are a few places to eat close by which was great for on or two nights, but may get old after a while. Avoid the ski rental shop just outside the door, it's staffed by people that really don't care. There are closer rental places to the gondola that were far more helpful.

Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Don't book at the ski hire place just outside the door.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Benton, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We loved our condo in Expedition Station. It is in walking distance to the gondola, comes with a complimentary locker for equipment, and has a fireplace with views of River Run. My only complaints are the kitchen and shower-heads. The website said ti would be "fully stocked" with all kitchen equipment, but I didn't have lots of pans that I consider to be staples in the kitchen. We only ate in one night though, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The shower-heads were not great. I showered a lot faster than I usually do! The rooms were very nice and our condo was well decorated, which I appreciate. We were in number 8615. Overall, I'd recommend this condo to any of my friends, and would stay in it again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view! We loved seeing the ice skaters and people skiing on River Run.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Expedition Station at River Run? Share your experiences!