“VRBO vs Keystone booking service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Expedition Station at River Run

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keystone
Expedition Station at River Run
River Run Rd, Keystone, CO 80435   |
Hartford, Connecticut
“VRBO vs Keystone booking service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

None of the Keystone lodging options appeal to me. I much preferred the condo we rented in Steamboat Springs last month, but I attend a conference here regularly so I had to pick something. Mostly, I chose this option because I like the covered, heated parking that allows me to head over to the conference center at 7 am in a warm car without having to budget extra time for snow removal and it is walking distance to the lifts. I booked a "River Run 1 bedroom Condo" (having learned on a past visit that the studios can have very awkwardly placed murphy beds) reserved through the Keystone reservation service and was unpleasantly surprised to find myself in the Expedition Station building. Most of the other "River Run Condo" bookings are in buildings that are on the courtyard above the restaurants and shops and a lot closer to the lifts.

Using the booking service does mean that they will have to give you a room somewhere but the problem is you have very little control over where that room is.

I realize that VRBO also has its potential downsides but I think I will try that next year so that I know exactly what I am getting and maybe can pick something with nicer furnishings. The unit I was given had the typical property management unit low end furnishings with dirty carpet, hard pillows, an tube style television in the bedroom requiring a deep cabinet that made it hard to walk around the bed, and a lack of attention to the shower faucet which had poor water pressure and a dysfunctional stream of water.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
St. Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We don't ask for much in ski lodging and Expedition Station did not disappoint. The two bedroom we rented was more than big enough for four adults, and with the exception of the blinds on the sliding door to the deck which could not be pulled up (meaning entanglement in the slats was part of the "getting to the deck" experience), everything worked. The rooms were clean (though the bathroom could have been better ventilated, and showerhead water pressure was poor), the beds were comfortable, and everything was in good shape. Check-In, even after hours (2 am) was easy at the Keystone Lodge and Spa. The location is right next to the Village, with shops and restaurants all there. If you like to ice skate, the rink is just out the front door. It is NOT ski-in ski-out, but a medium length walk to the closest lift (which some might find uncomfortable with ski boots on, but really it is no big deal). The hot tub could have been larger, though that may have been a function of the number of frat boys who hogged it rather than its actual size. (Note - they were the exception, not the rule, when it comes to the type of guests.), and the fact that the pool was open and well heated was a nice touch. Under the building parking is very convenient, even if the spaces are rather small for big SUV's, and it could get crowded. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We rented two two bedroom units and one was vastly superior to the other - so there is some luck of the draw when making reservations. If both were like the lesser unit would have been a bit disappointed. That said these units are clean, well operated and in the village. Decor was basic but nice and appropriate for a ski resort. Plenty of locker space and underground parking. Only minor complaint was that we were told unit was 50 yards from lift and while there are some River Run buildings at that distance ours was more like 400 yards - still close but there is still a need to lug gear.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Checkin was efficient, loved the underground parking. The unit was very clean and comfortable with everything needed. Great sized two bedroom unit, with a view of the slopes. Smoke detector was beeping when we arrived, but resolved by maintenance while we were on the slopes. There are a few places to eat close by which was great for on or two nights, but may get old after a while. Avoid the ski rental shop just outside the door, it's staffed by people that really don't care. There are closer rental places to the gondola that were far more helpful.

Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Don't book at the ski hire place just outside the door.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Benton, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We loved our condo in Expedition Station. It is in walking distance to the gondola, comes with a complimentary locker for equipment, and has a fireplace with views of River Run. My only complaints are the kitchen and shower-heads. The website said ti would be "fully stocked" with all kitchen equipment, but I didn't have lots of pans that I consider to be staples in the kitchen. We only ate in one night though, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The shower-heads were not great. I showered a lot faster than I usually do! The rooms were very nice and our condo was well decorated, which I appreciate. We were in number 8615. Overall, I'd recommend this condo to any of my friends, and would stay in it again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view! We loved seeing the ice skaters and people skiing on River Run.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this location numerous times. This is the first time, however, that we had no housekeeping whatsoever. I couldn't even find a housekeeper. The location is perfect. The rooms were large and roomy. We spent three nights and not once did anyone come by our room. This had never been a problem in the past. We stayed there 7 months ago and had beautiful service. Can only guess this was an anomaly.

• Stayed November 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My family and I stayed in expedition station for a week this summer and it was amazing. Very clean and nice condo. Staff was very friendly and it is easy to get around with the shuttle that will take you anywhere for free. Rented bikes and a pontoon boat at very good prices, and many other activities to do. Heated pools and hot tubs in all of the condos was also very nice. It is also not as busy during the summer months so access to all of these things is very easy. I highly recommend visiting Keystone in the summer!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Expedition Station at River Run? Share your experiences!