“A Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert
Denver
“A Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, and have always had a love for Italian Beef Sandwiches, they are my favorite, they are my passion, I like to think I am a connoisseur of the beef sandwich. Coming from Chicago birth place of the Italian Beef) I have had my fair share of these sandwiches.

As I finished my last run on the mountain, I noticed the Vienna Italian Beef sign in the window of Beavertails, I can never say no to this sandwich. As soon as I ordered this hard to find delicious beef, I immediately had buyers remorse. It seemed as if I were in a dessert shop and it was an inconvenience to make this mouth watering beast, in the midst of making hot chocolate and sugary pastries. I waited patiently and was not disappointed.

I loaded my sandwich up with Giardinara and took a seat along with my smuggled PBR to what to my surprise may have been one of the BEST Italian Beefs I have ever had! Bold statement I know, but the culmination of that deep fried pastry with the juices of the scrumptious beef, and the spices of the hot Giardinara, washed down with an ice cold beer, may make my highlight reel of joyous times in my life.

I had to share a healthy portion of this sandwich with my buddy (who also shares a love for these treasures) because it was so special and I felt the need to share the joy with him. He agreed with me that we found something great. He asked me why I wasn't going to praise the lady who made this gem of a sandwich. My answer was it must prove it self a second time.

I haven't made it back to Beavertails yet to see if this sandwich can live up to the first experience. But last night, my Friend's (same guy) mom sent out Portillos Italian Beef(a chicago staple) which I love, but we found ourselves reminiscing over that day at Beavertails.

I had my doubts, but I must let you know you guys manufacture a terrific Italian Beef! This is a hard to find sandwich living in Colorado now, but I will be back for this hidden gem.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Tasty, unique snack!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Beaver Tails is a Canadian chain, and this is the first and only location in the US.
The Beaver Tail is made of wheat dough, which, for those of you curious, is egg free according to the owner. The wheat dough is flattened, quickly fried, and then the excess oil is patted away with paper towels, leaving a tasty, crunchy pastry.
You then have a bunch of toppings to choose from to customize the flavor of your tail. Friendly staff.

Visited November 2012
Houston, TX
“Simply Irresistible!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This little shop was located at the entry of my River Run condo. I saw the door open one day and popped in with my kids. We each ordered a different beaver tail and these things were simply irresistible with a taste and sweetness that makes your mouth water for more. The only drawback is that the shop didn't have any set open/close times. But, every time we passed by we'd check to see if they were open and when they were, we'd drop in for a treat.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Ga
“Made to order pastry shop in River Run at Keystone -smoothies too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Simple concept: A flat whole wheat pastry quick fried in canola oil then topped with assorted desert items (chocolate, cinnamon sugar, chocolate banana, apple, cinnamon & caramel etc). They also make a hot dog using the flat pastry as the bun or you can get some sliced beef (the sliced beef, though tasty, really made the pastry too soggy). Everybody liked the hot dog as well as the deserts.
They also serve hot chocolate and 3-4 varieties of smoothies.
A unique snack experience that could also double as a sweet mini-meal.

• Visited March 2012