“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Arugam Bay
Auckland
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Our family group of 7 adults visited Danish Villas in March 2012.
We were delighted with the garden setting and accomodation. The rooms were clean and comfortable . The villas are set away from the main road so there is a lot of privacy. The food was good. The Manager Thahir and Night Manager Sufi and all the staff were most friendly and obliging and went out of their way to make us feel at home and provide us with whatever we requested. It was a most relaxing holiday.
We really enjoyed our stay and we have recommended the place to many of our friends and family .
M & R Soysa, L& J Ismail, N & Z Abdul Hussein, Mrs S Aboosally

Room Tip: Only one bathroom has hot water. It may be good if this facility is added to all bathrooms as altho...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

From the moment we were greeted by the manager we knew this was going to be a good one. We choose the garden bungalow which was very comfortable.
Food was excellent, staff very friendly and hotel was kept spotless.
The location is across the road from the beach and very quiet as there is large front garden. Definitely a place to return to as this stay just wasn't long enough.

Room Tip: Go for the garden bungalow if your budget allows
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hua Hin, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Feels like home. Very friendly and help full staff. I enjoyed the breakfast and free Wifi - which was quite good!. Easy to stay longer than expected!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Byrsted, Nordjylland, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

You have choice but to feel rejuvenated, waking up in the strict designed rooms, at the Villa, just about 100 metres from the laguna with palmtrees as long as the eye see. The service is magnificent, and the owners guided us to a lot of different must sees in the area, as well as gave advice for the trip 'round the island as well. We can nothing but recommend this oasis!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We booked here after reading the positive reviews on trip advisor and finding that it was one of the cheaper places to stay in the otherwise quite expensive Arugam Bay. We had mixed feelings about the place, on the plus side the room was clean and tidy (basic but it is cheap), the manager (owner wasn't there) was helpful and friendly and the internet connection was very good.
What let it down was the fact that you sometimes felt like an unwanted guest in someone elses house, our room had a window into the communal area so you were kept up by the last person to go to bed and awakened by the first person up (usually staff talking loudly on their mobile). The AC was had to work and doesn't work at all between 6.30pm and 9.30pm.
If you want atmosphere and proximity to the beach then this is not for you, if you are looking for a budget place to crash to explore the area and need a good wi-fi connection then it fits the bill.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I went to the Danish Villa, Arugam Bay, based on the good reviews in this site and the Danish owner who answered my mail quickly. I went there for 4 nights and unlike other places in Sri Lanka, I didn't feel the well known local welcome I was used to before and after.
The Danish owner was not in Sri Lanka at that time so I never met him personally but I got to meet the local owner who didn't give me the atmosphere I was looking for.
The most annoying thing was the time when he changed my dollars to locak money and gave me the lowest rate I ever recieved in my trip. Another example was the coffee: he had two kinds but for my paid breakfast he gave the cheaper. If I wanted a refill for my small coffee cup that came with breakfast it would again cost me money. There were other little things which annoyed me a little with the service and attitude
The whole attitude there was a bit unpleasent and I didn't feel like I was welcome there.
The hotel itself is nice and clean but its a bit of dull place where there are better options around Arugam Bay which have better atmosphere and are closer to the sea and the center

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

went to Arugam Bay on a surf trip in may of 2011. After looking around on the internet i decided to stay at the Danish VIlla, as it looked like a nice place. Well luck was on my side because the Danish Villa is the nicest place in A-Bay. The best features are: a/c in every room, internet access, breakfast service, amazingly beautiful property and furniture, friendly staff and a great location in proximity to the main point (surf spot) without being in the middle of the busiest part of town. The property is pretty big and is covered in trees, plants and flowers. It was nice to have a sanctuary to escape to after returning from the surf or downtown areas. The owner Per is a really nice guy. He even took me out to show me the best restaurants and hang-outs. The breakfast is amazing with fresh fruit and breads. The coffee, tho, was the best part. Apparently Per brings it from Denmark but it was the best coffee i have ever had. The staff is super friendly and the night water 'Sulfi' is very knowledgable about the area. He even runs Eco Tours of the area. Although Danish Villa is a little more expensive than some spots in town, it is worth every penny. I would recommend this place to any surfers traveling to Abay as the vibe is laid back and there are racks for your boards as well. I would also recommend the Danish Villa to anyone who is looking to experience A-Bay but doesnt mind a little bit of the comforts from home. I will be going back often!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Danish Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!