“A little bit of elegance in southwest Colorado” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hotel Dinner Package
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Ignacio
marietta
“A little bit of elegance in southwest Colorado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Came out to Durango and elected not to stay at the chain (Doubletree) or bed and breakfasts in Durango. I must say I absolutely loved the Sky Ute Casino and Resort. I have now stayed here 3 times. I have checked in at midnight once, after midnight once and in the afternoon. No matter what time I check in, the staff is friendly and able to help. The first time I came I had to go to the bathroom so bad when I got here and I asked the front desk where I could leave my bags while I ran. In this day of heightened security and theft boy was I surprised when the lady told me just leave them right there. No one will touch them. She was right.

The rooms are very nice. I've stayed in St. Regis, Four Seasons, etc. and while I would not say the rooms are at that level, they most certainly are just below. The rooms are clean. The lights all work. There were no holes in the floor (like I saw at my last stay at the St. Regis in Atlanta). Every room as a coffee pot and a refrigerator. And not just an electronic bar to gauge the consumer. I will agree with one other reviewer that they need to upgrade their pillows. I usually use one of the decorative pillows under mine to give me more support.

The bathroom each come with a deep but small tub and a very large shower with a nice jet stream. Both my room with 2 queens and a king had 2 sinks in them.

In addition to the hotel, there is a spa. I did not try it out so I cannot comment but it's here in the middle of the Colorado dessert. There are 4 restaurants. I ate breakfast each time at Willows and the pancakes are delicious. It's all basic fare but the quantities are large and the staff is very friendly. When you check in you get a coupon for 25% off your food purchases in the hotel and the staff makes sure you use it. Even when I couldn't find it once, they took my word that I was staying in the hotel. The steakhouse is on a level with the best steakhouses in Atlanta. There is a small cafe where I had dinner my first night here. Basic bar food but it was good. And then there's a snack bar where you can get burgers and dogs that's open 24 hours a day.

The casino is open 24 hours a day but they will close the tables depending on usage. The Craps table is not open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which was disappointing to me but I understood due to low turnout on these days. What's most impressive to me is the pit boss who handled craps not only remembered me between my two stays but remembered my name and said hello to me personally when I came for my second stay. Try to find that in Vegas or Tahoe. I was most amused by the table limits. It's a $3.00 minimum and $100.00 maximum. So, it's a great place to play and if you're careful, $100.00 can go a LONG way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Durango, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The rooms at Sky Ute quite nice. The pillows leave something to be desired, but the room was comfortable and large with a nice walk out balcony. The room had a nice fridge, coffee maker, real cups and glassware. It also had a small sink, something you rarely see; very handy for filling the coffee pot and getting drinking water. The bathrooms are very large, with a tub and separate glassed in shower. Lots of counter space and nice amenities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

On our recent visit during our annual fishing trip to the San Juan River we were disappointed to find there is no longer a seafood buffet on Friday nights, our apparently a buffet anytime. The area where we used to enjoy the buffet has been converted to a couple of overpriced restaurants. There is a new sports bar we did enjoy. Our waitress, Angel, there was excellent. We were told by another fisherman we should check out the buffet Thursday nights at the new casino nearby in Farmington, NM, which is actually closer to where we like to catch jumbo trout in the river below Navajo Dam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Everywhere, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here in an RV in the Resort RV park for $27/night with Good Sam discount. We were very impressed with the RV park. The roads and sites are all paved. Each site has a bbq and picnic table. Sites are separated by gravel strips with some young landscaping. Very new feel and apparently has been open only 4 years. All sites full hookup. Short walk to the back of the casino where you have key card entry to the casino by way of the pool/hot tub/showers. Pool and showers very clean. Upon arriving the RV park host who was very friendly took us to reception and gave us a tour. The hospitality was incredible. Check in efficient and friendly. The casino was modern, new, pleasant, and there is a nonsmoking part of the casino. Have not tried the restaurants so can not comment on that aspect. Will definitely return if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel & since it is fairly new everything still looks new! Spent only one night, was there for a concert which was great as well as the venue it was in. Our room was very spacious, clean & comfortable with fridge, micro, balcony, wifi & all the amenities we needed. The bathroom was enormous with separate shower & tub. The bed/pillows are important to me & these were very comfortable. All of the hotel staff was very friendly & accomodating. There is a number of eating areas but especially liked the breakfast/lunch "bistro" where you can get food to go, sit at counter or regular seating. The pool is wonderful; it is indoors, large, warm & has whirlpool. This hotel/casino is in a small town but there are many, many big things to do all within 30 beautiful miles.

Room Tip: Exterior rooms have balconies otherwise overlook interior of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel over 5 times in the last year for work. I can only talk on the hotel, food and conference area. I don't gamble.

The rooms are great: very clean, quiet, comfortable beds and the bathrooms are nicely equipped. The check in service has always been friendly and very helpful. Any time I have had a question or request it has been addressed immediately.

We have also held a conference at the hotel/casino with an amazing experience. The conference room was setup perfectly with all our requests. The food; breakfast and lunch we requested was beyond our expectations and out did many high end hotels we have used.

The only complaint would be the restaurant options in the hotel or near by the hotel. You have to definitely drive to Durango for fine dining. Last time I stayed at the hotel in March 2013 the restaurants at the Hotel were under construction, so I'm excited to see the results which may be done already. I'll write an update after i stay in June.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SarahGuestService, Guest Relations Manager at Sky Ute Casino & Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write about us DenverGreenstreet! I just wanted to write a quick response to highlight your comment about our restaurant renovations. We’ve completely transformed what was the Aspen Room and Red Rose Bistro into two beautifully remodeled eating establishments.

There is now Willows Baja Grill / Willows Café Bistro - offering up big, bold, fresh flavors featuring Baja style Mexican food that’s new to the region. All items are made fresh in the kitchen daily and are prepared to order seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For dessert we’ve got home made Churros with warm caramel and sweet chocolate dipping sauce; or head to the Bistro Café portion of the restaurant where we invite you to try our fresh baked breads and pastries, Seattle’s Best Coffee and a home style breakfast menu.

We’ve also opened Seven Rivers Steaks, Seafood and Spirits - the first authentic steakhouse in the Four Corners open Tuesday-Saturday from 5-10 p.m. It tastes as good as it sounds with fresh French onion soup, Seafood Crisp, a 32 ounce Chairman’s cut USDA choice T-Bone steak and extensive wine list.

We can’t wait for you to come back and experience the change! Hope to see you back here real soon!
Ignacio, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Being a Southern Ute Tribal Member, I am proud of this casino and all it has to offer! The casino has a great gaming floor, fun slots, and table games. They offer a variety of events, concerts, and banquets. The bowling alley and minature golf is fun for the whole family! The casino also has a variety of restaurants that would suit anyone! Rolling Thunder is a local favorite, home of the steak and shrimp combo! Shining Mountain is great for a quick bite or to go order. And the 2 newest restaurants are being introduced this month, Seven Rivers Steakhouse and Willows Baja Restaurant! Can't wait to try them! The hotel offers beautiful rooms, smoking and non smoking, and pet friendly! Or bring the RV and stay at the full hook-up RV Park! Come out and stay and play!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sky Ute Casino & Resort? Share your experiences!