“A limitless rough but nice stay for a quiet berg” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Sulphur Springs
Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa
You added Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa to your Saves list
5609 Rte 20, Hot Sulphur Springs, CO 80451   |
Morrison, Colorado
“A limitless rough but nice stay for a quiet berg”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

If like ice machine and five star overpriced places-Hot Sulphur is not the place. It hotel is 1960's vintage but it's clean. No A/C but the mountain and canyon air cool down the room. Bring a fan! Nice staff even the maintenance staff. They have courtesy ear plugs--the train horns rattle the room every four to six hours. Ambien would be nice. The bed squeaked but was great and soft. The laundry was very modern and clean.

Room Tip: Get the cabin. It's above the tracks!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had been to the resort a few years ago and enjoyed soaking in the pools on a cold winter day. When visiting Grand County recently, I took my wife back to the resort for a repeat visit.

What a mistake.

When we entered everything was as I expected. We paid, changed and checkout out the pools. Everything was going along fine until we decided to transition to a new pool on the upper deck.

In our transition we spotted a chipmunk (or small squirrel) caught in an old rusty trap. Its hand was caught and it was wriggling around and squealing trying to get free. I tried to set it free but couldn't without a glove. So, foolishly, I notified the staff of the situation. The front desk notified the maintenance staff ~ an older man and younger assistant. They quickly came to the scene, and picked up the trap (which left the animal dangling and screaming). My wife yelled out "What are you doing?! Are you going to kill it?!" Both maintenance men laughed and said that they had been trying to catch this "critter" for weeks and proceeded to violently throw the animal over a second story fence onto concrete ~ killing it. The sound was disgustingly audible. The men continued laughing as they left.

We complained to the front desk. They did nothing. We left soon after disgusted and shocked.

The staff here enjoyed killing the screeching animal in front of us. It was like abad scene from a horror version of the movie Caddyshack. My wife and I understand pest control and the need to maintain grounds. However, the manner in which this was carried out was awful in every way.

We won't be headed back and suggest boycotting this business if you have an affinity for animals and/or have a problem with animal crulety.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Hot Sulphur Springs hotels

Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a great hot springs because of the numerous pools. If you are expecting a spa experience you will have to stay somewhere else but the pools are clean and they have many types and tempatures to choose from. I have stayed in the motel and the rooms are clean and you have access to the pools the day you arrive and the day you leave. Most of the motels in the town will provide passes to the Springs however they are normally only good for one day. I would recomend the springs to anyone who does not expect perfection but just want a good hot springs. BTW, the front desk staff are not the most friendly but I don't go there to speak with the staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I didn't stay at the hotel here at the Hot Springs but another motel a bit away. I thought by the web site that I was. But any way we checked in to our motel and went to the Hot Springs. At first it did look promising, but when we got in it was more like seriously this is it. There is one pool that was nice and that one is mid way and has a fall in it and a little cubby hole to lay in. Some of the other tubs were shells of hot tubs. I have read the other reviews and wish I saw them first because we wanted to try somewhere new and we chose this place over Pagosa Springs. I will spend the extra money and go to Pagosa next time. Tile was falling off the wall, the place wasn't up kept. Boards on the walk way were broken. The wood was splintery. This can be a nice place with a bit of tlc. If the owners want to sell to someone that would care about it call me. The next day we went to Glenwood Springs. Go to Glenwood or Pagosa Springs. I will not go here again. I really hate to write like this but there was nothing good about this place, the motel we stayed at, the town and the place we ate dinner at.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have soaked at the springs here before and as recently as last Fall. This time we decided to stay at their lodging instead of an area motel. Good choice! They have improved these aging rooms since we last stayed here some years ago and they now have comfortable beds, decent mattresses, small but crisp DirecTV service and a feeling from the staff that your stay is appreciated. The train whistle is noisy and wakes you at night - but that is part of the ambiance. The pools are, as always, well maintained, clean, safe, and have every range of heat that you may want - or could stand.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there in march 2012, and it was not good. There is a train track 100 yards from we're you stay that runs all night. Ear plugs are not enough for that, wow. They say bring kids but people were being yielded at for being too loud. The employees did not seem to care at all that there were a family of snakes living a foot away from a pool, often they fall into the pool.

• Stayed March 2012
Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I took a friend, and some exchange students we were hosting to this place for our last day of spring break. I was a little nervous, since it was 200 miles of driving from where we lived, and mountain passes aren't exactly fun in the snow, especially driving a little two-door car. It was definitely worth the drive out there, however the prices did seem a little bit steep, and I expect that many of the better tubs were the ones closed for the season, which kinda sucked in the heavy snow. The only staff member I met was very rude, and just stared at us for about five seconds, before asking bluntly if we wanted to go in. Luckily, once you pay, there really aren't too many faults.

I would have liked bigger pools, though considering how rocky the area is, I can see why that wouldn't be easy, and it really wasn't a problem for only four people. My friend complained about the smell of the place a bit because he'd never been to a hot spring before, but I've been to a couple, so I wasn't too bothered. Also, I feel like the pools should have been filtered to some extent. Some contained algae, and although it may sound authentic, it was a little bit weird. I kind of liked the trains that passed through, but if I wanted to stay overnight, I'd probably go to a different motel, since I don't think I could stand it at night. But overall, I'm probably going to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!