“Sad, poorly managed hotel, Not Marriott standard; Stand in dirty shower water; dirty sink & rugs, dirty Housekeeping” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Denver Highlands Ranch

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Highlands Ranch
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2014

Sad, pathetic, poorly managed Residence Inn – Not Marriott standard; Stand in dirty shower water; dirty sink, dirty rugs, dirty hallways, uncleanly & unhealthy Housekeeping practices.
It is sad that Marriott and Residence Inn let’s there property deteriorate to the point that quality standards are breached, and normal hotel amenities become questionable and lacking.
This property is lacking proper management, and it shows.
Ice maker in freezer sucks, and makes about 5 tiny ice cubes per day. What a joke.
2nd day around 10am the water in the hotel room would not work. No water! Called front desk and guy said maintenance was fixing a pipe. Yeah? Why not tell the guests that this is happening so they know in advance? I have been at many fine hotels in my travels where the staff had to address an emergency issue – and they were smart and courteous enough to print fliers and post a notice, or slide notes under the door - so guests would know. Obviously the management at this hotel does not care enough about the guests to do simple courtesy’s.
Next morning saw a stack of folded clean towels (they were not balled up like dirty towels, but neatly folded, obviously clean), on the floor of the hallway with a clipboard next to them. Clipboard always used by manager so probably housekeeping manager set clean towels on the hallway floor. Where do you think they went next? Yep – right on the towel rack in Your room! Disgusting, unhealthy practices at this hotel. Housekeeping either is not properly trained or they don't care. Either way - unacceptable!
The bathroom – ha! Sink has a disgusting filth ring around the edge where house-keeping does not thoroughly clean it. Check out the pictures I attached.
Shower curtain is disgusting! It is so stiff from soap mildew that it could stand up by itself. Also the shower curtain is not long enough to cover the tub area. See my picture. Shower drain does not drain properly so guest can enjoy standing in their own dirty shower water.
Room carpets show dirt and wear and lack proper attention and routine cleaning. Hallways are disgustingly dirty.
With the Hilton Garden Inn just down the street, I am not sure why people would stay here.
On a good note, there is a decent channel line-up, and a nice evening reception on Mon thru Wed with complimentary beer, wine, and lite meal. The staff maintaining this food area do a great job.
Highlands Ranch is one of the newest, cleanest, nicest towns in the greater Denver area. However, this Residence Inn is one of the worst hotels in the greater Denver area. Sad!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Bryan M, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Highlands Ranch, responded to this review, November 28, 2014
I sincerely apologize for your experience at Residence Inn Highlands Ranch.

I would have liked to speak with you in person regarding your stay, but your time did not allow it.

I have passed on your comments to my management staff to ensure that another guest does not experience the problems you did.

It is comments such as yours that will make us a stronger hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

My apartment complex was remodeling, so the residences from our apartment building were given the option to stay at this location or with relatives, until the remodeling was completed. I liked our room, but the people staying in the 2 rooms directly across the hallway (they were traveling together) constantly slammed the door to their rooms, entering each others rooms all day, and until around 2 am every night. I did contact management and someone did tell they to desist. The food was unimpressive but adequate, disappointing to see that the manager's reception is only offered a couple of days per week. Staff was initially friendly. About our 3rd or 4th night in, my child and I were in the living room area in our room, when we heard a huge bang from the bedroom. Unfortunately, my child entered the room before I could. I was shocked to see that the light bulb in the bedside lamp had literally exploded, and upon further inspection, was horrified to see it was a CFL bulb, which emits mercury into the air upon breakage. I quickly took my child out of the room, and we grabbed a few items, and went down to the front desk, where we were issued a new room. I explained the details about what happens when CFL's break open, but I was looked at as if I had a 3rd eye. I advised not to let a maid simply vacuum, and brush the broken fragments into the garbage, as this would spread the mercury possibly to other rooms. The next morning, I entered the old room again to retrieve the remaining of our belongings, and the broken bulb was gone. I noticed our remote control to our brand new dvd player was also gone. (It had been sitting on the bedstand, the dvd player was one of the items I moved to the new room the night prior) I spoke with the person behind the front desk, explaining our remote was missing, and he said I will send someone up to the old room. I stated again, we searched everywhere, and it is not there. We heard nothing, so a day later, I mentioned it again, and we got the same reply; it is not in the old room. subsequent queries even until the day we had to leave, were with the same results. I had left messages with the front desk person to tell the manager, to no avail. When we arrived home, again I followed up with a call to the manager, and was told he is out of town. He did not call back, again I called back, and the manager said he was told the remote was not in our room, and he was sure I would have found it when I unpacked at home?! This was really insulting, since now he was shifting the blame on me, and acting as if I were some sort of idiot. I was quite sure, had I been a man, this suggestion would never have been stated. Finally I stated the obvious, and suggested it was stolen by the maid, or was accidentally thrown out with the bulb cleanup. Again, this was poo-pooed. I called the corporate offices on multiple occasions, and had email contacts as well. The first representative said this was unfair, they would get to the bottom of this, their insurance should cover the cost, or the manager, etc etc.One of the reps took down the model #, where I purchased, the cost, etc. Future calls, now stated they could not promise anything, but they felt the manager needs to make some sort of amends. They would contact him to contact me. Some time had gone by, when I finally received an email from the manager, and it looked like he copied and pasted the original email he sent to me, stating the remote was not in my room, so there was nothing the hotel could do. This dvd was brand new, purchased just before the stay at the hotel. Our apartment complex suggested in a letter, that we bring our own, because a dvd player was not included in our rooms. I would never recommend nor stay at this hotel again. I am a former business owner, and would never want to lose a client over something like this. Bad form, residence Inn!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

My experience at the Residence Inn Highlands Ranch was the worst I've ever encountered. I had booked two 2-bedroom suites for my sisters and I back in July. Our stay was Sept.26-28th.

My family has stayed in Residence Inns 40 to 50 nights a year for more than ten years, but none of my three sisters had ever stayed in one. I was anxious to show them the terrific service I had bragged about always receiving at RIs all over the country. Well.....I have to say the service here was embarrassing.

Check-in was a nightmare. Arriving at 3:00, after a six hour drive, we found the rooms were not ready. In order to get into a room, we had to settle on a handicapped room on the first floor, and were then told that if we wanted the rooms at all close together, both rooms had to be on the first floor. I had requested high floor rooms ( which I always get anywhere else). The girl at the front desk had promised to call us when the other room became available, but she never did. Finally, at 4:15, we went down to check. A new person was at the desk and was totally confused, but finally gave us keys to the room. When we got into the room, we discovered the air conditioning was off and the room was stifling. We needed to be ready to go to a special occasion at 5:00, so needless to say, trying to freshen up was miserable. I also have to add that first floor at this place is not at ground level, so we had to carry luggage, and go down and up a flight of stairs anytime we left the room. We are all not-so-young ladies, and this was inconvenient to say the least.

Another thing I had bragged about is that all Residence Inns have great hot coffee in the breakfast area 24 hours a day.....well, not this one. Other than at breakfast, the coffee was practically empty and ice cold.

Check-out was about as bad as check-in.

Needless to say, I was totally embarrassed that I had brought anyone to this place, and I will certainly never return. All of my sisters are travelers, but RI Highlands Ranch has certainly turned them away from Marriott.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Bryan M, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Highlands Ranch, responded to this review, October 9, 2014
I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at Residence Inn Highlands Ranch. We do value your comments and strive to make every guests stay enjoyable and relaxing. It is through comments such as yours that make us stronger.

Again, I do apologize for any inconveniences you experienced.

Linda, Long
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I needed to visit Littleton on short notice for a non-work event. I quickly arranged a room at this property using Marriott points.

This property stands out from your usual extended stay for two reasons;

1) It's close proximity to Littleton
2) It has fantastic staff that go out of their way to help you out and to make you feel special

The rooms are standard Residence Inn but clean and my aircon was quite strong. Breakfast is standard Residence Inn as well (Scrambled eggs, a meat, yogurt, cereal, etc).

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor to avoid overhead noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Of all the Residence Inns I have stayed at this one is the poorest. It's not a horrible place, but it is missing some of the things that make a more typical Residence Inn a great place for busy travelers. Starting with the room, the kitchen was small but functional, and the overall living space was cramped. The main bed sheets had stains, the carpet was worn at busy walking spots, and the bathroom door had shifted on the hinges and would not close all the way. The pull-out sofa was obviously quire old, as it had stains and the springs were complete unsupportive making for a very poor night's rest. Breakfast was vey skimpy compared to other Residence Inns I have stayed at. It was more on par with a Towneplace Suites. The workout room is tiny, with just a couple of treadmills and a small rack of free weights. The Manager's reception is only offered a couple of days per week; this place is missing that fun reception that differentiates Residence Inns from other hotels. So, my take is that this particular location is a Towneplace Suites at a Residence Inn price. We won't be staying here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bryan M, General Manager at Residence Inn Denver Highlands Ranch, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I am so sorry that you experienced a stay that was unsatisfactory. We are in the process of preparing for a complete renovation that will solve all of the items you encountered. We do take pride in our property and strive to make an enjoyable stay for all of our . Please accept my sincere apologies.

Linda Long
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Just stayed for a full week (Friday to Friday). We arrived very early at about 10:30am and although they were full the night before they quickly were able to turn over our room and allowed us check in by 10:45 am. This was a great relief as we were scheduled to meet friends for lunch at noon. The breakfast offerings were hot and a big hit with our eight year old, although with a smaller dining area finding a spot to sit was sometimes a challenge. Throughout the week the staff was always helpful and courteous without being overbearing. Location was convenient, close to shopping and several options for dinner, and a perfect "home base" for day trips to both Boulder and Colorado Springs. We spent a very comfortable week in Denver and will return soon.

Stayed May 2014
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We used our points to book the room and received an elite status suite. The suite was well appointed and clean. On Mon, Tue and Wed nights the manager offers free snacks, wine and beer. Our stay was on a Wednesday night. The snacks consisted of brats and hot dogs with chips. The morning breakfast was hot with scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffles, etc. The staff was very friendly and even cleared our table after breakfast. The only negative was the bath tub was beginning to show a little wear. It appeared that the no-slip pad had started to peal off some of the shiny plastic lining in the bottom of the tub. Otherwise, the rest of the property was in excellent shape.

Room Tip: We were on the ground level and could hear some noise from the second floor in the morning.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Denver Highlands Ranch? Share your experiences!