“"Attention to detail'...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hesperus B&B and Inns
Oakton, VA
“"Attention to detail'...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

If you googled those words you would come up with a link to "Blue Lake Ranch". Well, maybe not literally, but it sure would fit. Every detail has been thought through at this lovely oasis. If you like beautiful landscapes accented with seasonal flower gardens, luxurious accommodations, fresh/new linens, a sumptuous breakfast that changes daily, and gracious hospitality...this is the place for you.
One of the highlights of this out-of-the-way treat is a breakfast prepared by Jackie! The food and hospitality will make you want to linger longer than you had planned....and isn't that what vacation is all about!

Room Tip: each room has unique charm I'm sure. Their website is very detailed and accurate....no hocus po...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
blranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Blue Lake Ranch. These are the kinds of reviews I love reading and sharing with the staff. Our goal is to exceed all guests expectations and I believe you do this customer service, attention to detail, and going the extra mile for our guests. I am glad you had such a wonderful experience and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I spent three days at the Blue Lake Ranch in mid-August, and I wish it could have been longer after experiencing the quiet and the beauty of the inn and the passion of the staff. We stayed in the Pinion Suite, just a short walk from the main house, and at first thought we might be the only guests - it was that private. At breakfast, however, people just started showing up, and it became apparent that the inn was well-filled, but the cabins are separated so well that one wouldn't realize that readily. Jackie, the cook, makes wonderful breakfasts, usually involving some Southwestern options (tamales one morning!) as well as more conventional fare, all of it utterly delicious. The suite was comfortable and well-appointed, and the grounds simply invite you to wander in awe among the flowers, the fruit trees, and the bushes. The dedication to the facility is apparent in having had the same people doing the cooking, maintenance, landscape work, etc for decades. I spoke with several guests who had made annual pilgrimages for several years, one couple for 22 years. For trout fisherpersons, there wasn't much action on the lake - I noticed them rising along the edges near dark one evening, long after I had put away my rod - but don't hesitate to ask about fishing on the Isgard's property along the Animas - a beautiful stretch of water, and a lot of trout. There are minor drawbacks - it is a good drive from Durango, so you need to plan carefully for dinner (although the suite had a fully-equipped kitchen if we had wanted to eat in). And I wouldn't want to arrive for the first time at night - the driveway is pretty obscure (trust the directions about the 17 mile marker). But that is niggling. Great place, particularly for adults.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
bluelakeranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Blue Lake Ranch and the Pinion Suite. I am glad you had such a great visit, enjoyed our breakfast, and were able to fish the Alford's private water on the Animas. I made my first fishing trip of the season there last week and caught at least 20 fish. It is a great amenity for our guests to enjoy as this is the gold medal waters stretch of the Animas and is seldom fished making it that much better.

I will pass your kind words on to the staff and look forward to your next visit.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I held my wedding at Ridgewood Event Center this last July 7th and most of my wedding party stayed at Blue Lake Ranch before the wedding and we had the most wonderful experience all around. The overall beauty of the gardens and cottages is enough to make the stay very enjoyable, but the warm and welcoming staff at Blue Lake makes the entire experience above and beyond my expectations. I would readily recommend Blue Lake as a wonderful destination to just get away or to have your wedding!
Thank you for a wonderful experience,
Heather May Charbonneau

Room Tip: We stayed in the Upper and Lower Spring house and for a family or wedding party this house is perfec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
blranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Blue Lake Ranch. It is always a pleasure to host wedding groups with their family and friends as we love creating and being part of memories.

The Ridgewood Events Center is an amazing location for weddings up to 200 guests. It was the first venue built specifically with weddings and groups in mind and has wonderful views of the La Plata Mountains with nearby gardens.

I will pass on your kind words to the staff as they are a big part of what makes Blue Lake Ranch so unique and special.
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The entrance is hard to find - look for the Mailbox that says Blue lake Ranch on it. There are signs on the road that announce it from either direction, but they are small and easy to miss.
We were told there was plenty of parking, but there was actually very little. The grounds roads are all gravel, FYI.

Our room (Mesa Verde) was cute and really a nice idea - two story, with the kitchen and bath downstairs and the bed with a sitting area upstairs. It also had a TV. We had a window air-conditioner in the room, and it did get cold but was too loud for sleeping. Unfortunately, without the air-conditioner, the room, being upstairs, was incredibly hot. The room as attached to another room with a foyer in between. It was really very nice.
The down side of this cute, spacious, room was that it SMELLED horrible. Like sewage. When we first walked in, I mentioned it and Scott, the guy who led us to the room (turns out he is a manager) just said "yeah, they were just in here cleaning it". I have NO idea what that meant, since it was overwhelming. I ended up buying some Febreze to make it bearable.

If you are squeamish about bugs (spiders, in particular) this is NOT the place for you. They were EVERYWHERE. The front door to our cabin was left open, and there were over a dozen flies on the ceiling and a bee and two wasps in that foyer. In our room we saw, in two days, 10 spiders.

The path outside our room was overgrown. There were weeds on the ground that you had to wade through and a tree that hung low over a step that went up. When our cabin-mate showed up, someone pulled the weeds over the walkway, to make it easier to squeeze through. I actually got poked in the eye by a low branch at the cabin entrance, so my husband cut that one off.
They told us that the owners don't believe in trimming - they prefer that nature take its own course. So, the grounds ARE very pretty (camera-worthy), but the paths are not well-maintained, as far as that goes. The owners also don't believe in chemical control of the bugs, so that is why so many critters.
We walked the paths the first night, and you definitely don't want to do that in the dark - we saw someone trip and flip off a small cliff. Again, very pretty. There is a lake there, too. Take some bug spray to avoid bites. I bought some at the Walgreen's there - all natural, in keeping with their motif.
In our cabin they had a small kitchen area with a refrigerator, microwave, sink and coffee maker. They provided some coffee, too,which was very nice. We had breakfast there on 2 mornings, and combined, they consisted of yogurt, granola, sliced ham, poached eggs (one day with spinach and one day without), dry cereal, dried fruit and blueberries, calabacitas, and biscuits and gravy. They have bread and a variety of honey spreads, too. Plenty of seating, inside or out.

This place was like NO other B&B I have seen, in that it had separate cabins and a buffet-style breakfast. In summary, it was really nice in some ways, not so nice in others. The staff that we dealt with was not very friendly, for the most part, although they were helpful. We heard someone complaining about bad attitudes while we were getting ready to leave, so we are not alone in that thinking.

The idea of this place was very nice, but the spiders, smell, and attitudes made me drop this review to 3-stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
bluelakeranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Blue Lake Ranch and the Mesa Verde Room. Let me start by saying I am sorry you had a less than perfect stay as we always strive to exceed guests expectations.

I wish we could have talked more about your issues during your stay so we could have taken care of your issues. We keep signage on the highway to a minimum to let our guests enjoy the serenity of nature and not bothered by non guests just stopping by. I am not sure about the smell you mention I remember at check in the pine-sol smell as we arrived just after the housekeepers left. We try and keep the grounds and flowers as natural as possible so that our guests can enjoy the serenity that they provide.

I will talk to the staff about your comments so we can improve our services and groundskeeping.

I hope that you come back for another visit and see all the Ranch can provide, I know you would have a great experience.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our stay at this lodge was incredible. We had one of the nice southwest cabins all to ourselves. We went in to town, bought some steaks and beer, and came back and sat on our patio to watch the beautiful view. Simply gorgeous, serene grounds and spacious, lovely rooms. We had breakfast in the main house which was also beautiful. Staff was very warm and food was good and plentiful. Our main purpose of this trip was to go to the amazing Mesa Verde cliff dwellings, but the stay at this lodge rivaled as the most memorable part of our trip. My youngest son decided during this trip that he wants to live in Colorado, live at the Blue Lake Ranch, and work as a part-time park ranger and surgeon. Our choice of this property definitely made the trip special for the whole family.

Room Tip: The cedar casita was just perfect. We barbecued on the patio, enjoyed the spacious rooms, and felt...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
blranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of Blue Lake Ranch. Perfect is my favorite word to describe a stay at the Ranch. I will pass along your review to the staff and we look forward to a future visit.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our first stay at this property and it will not be our last. We have previously stayed at the Don Gaspar Inn in Santa Fe and very much enjoyed it so we decided to give this a try. While the SF property is conveniently located in a nice neighborhood and within walking distance of downtown SF, this property is unique in that it is secluded and quiet yet within an easy 15-20 minute drive to Durango. Like the SF location, the room was outstanding; spacious, clean, and well decorated in the southwestern fashion. The staff was over-the-top friendly with a special shout out to the lady who prepares the breakfast each morning. Each day she would great you and explain what was being offered and then make a point to stop by and ask how it was. We also met David, the owner, and I can see where the staff gets their flare for hospitality. He could not have been more outgoing and welcoming. We have been to Durango several times in the past and have always stayed in town. I suspect that future trips will include this location. You can still enjoy all that Durango and surrounding area has to offer and then retire to the quiet property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
blranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time write such a great review for Blue Lake Ranch. I am glad you such a wonderful visit. The Ranch is a great place to relax and enjoy our surroundings yet close enough to get to Durango for its exciting shopping, restaurants, and activities.

Breakfast is a big part of the Ranch experience and Jackie is a wonderful part of the Blue Lake Ranch family. I will pass along your kind words to the staff and give David a special thank you from your visit. The fishing at his property on the Animas River is word class and a great benefit for our guests that are anglers to fish these gold medal private waters.

We look forward to your next visit.
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned home from a full week at the Blue Lake Ranch with my parents. We loved every minute of our time there. It's the perfect spot to explore nearby Mesa Verde or try the steam train from Durango to Silverton. We also enjoyed a few days of relaxing and reading by their beautiful fountain and strolling on the Ranch's property (their extensive flower gardens are worth the trip alone). The accommodations were lovely-- comfortable beds with lots of pillows, great views of the mountains and their outstanding flower beds, clean and luxurious bathrooms. Breakfast each morning was a treat. We enjoyed chef George and Jackie's morning masterpieces on the beautiful patio overlooking the lake. The staff at the ranch were always on hand for advice on nearby attractions, restaurant tips, and directions. They exceeded our expectations with every interaction. We're already scheming to find our next time to visit Blue Lake Ranch... it's a treasure you shouldn't miss.

Room Tip: Our favorite of the two rooms we stayed in was the Cedar Casita though each was lovely and distinct...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bluelakeranch, General Manager at Blue Lake Ranch, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for Blue Lake Ranch. Perfect is my favorite word to describe the Ranch and guests experiances.

I will share your kind words with the staff and we hope to see you again soon on your next visit to the 4 Corners.

Been to Blue Lake Ranch? Share your experiences!