“Great Courtyard” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Greenwood Village
TN
“Great Courtyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I always enjoy staying at Courtyards because they are always clean and more often than not they have very comfortable beds, and based on that, this was a typical Courtyard by Marriott. This location is right off of I-25, technically a little bit south of the DTC, for easy access to downtown Denver via car or rail (light rail station less than a 10 minute walk away). I do have a couple of issues with this hotel, the first being that there was a strong smell of cleaning product/solution in the hallway of the second floor (this was not present in the rooms, however) and that they upcharge for faster internet connectivity (I actually was able to stream Netflix on my laptop without purchasing the upgrade). Many people complain about the lack of free breakfast, but that isn't specific to this Courtyard and to me I never eat breakfast at the hotel (unless I'm at an Embassy Suites) since they are generally low quality and high in carbs.
Bottom line, friendly staff, comfortable and clean rooms make this place a winner for me. If you must have a free hotel breakfast this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel is in a nice location and clean. There are many places to eat in the area. The beds were the worst I have slept in. They are small and old. If you don't sleep in the middle of the bed, you could fall out of bed. There is no free breakfast. I approached the Bistro area, where the two employees behind the counter didn't want to acknowledge I was even there. After 5 minutes of being ignored, I walked away. I was hoping to buy cereal for my 2 kids, but at $4.50 for a little container I could get at a local gas station for $1.50, I decided it was for the best anyway. There was no ice in the ice machine. Stayed here for 3 nights too long.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Lovely friendly staff, but location was a bit out of the way from everything. Free wifi was nice, but rooms were a little dated. The food options for breakfast were a little too basic for us and would have expected something a little better.

• Stayed June 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am a Priceline fanatic and really look for nice hotels that have great deals. We only got to be in the room for about 8 hours due to my son's baseball schedule, but it was great. Room opened up into an outdoor courtyard that was about 15 seconds from the pool. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, and very nice staff. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Heatland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had stayed at this Courtyard previously. In that case, I had flown by private plane into Arapahoe Centennial Airport, which is nearby, and had picked this hotel for two reasons. It was the only hotel with shuttle service to Centennial and it was within walking distance to the light rail providing me access to downtown where I had a meeting. This option eliminated the need for a rental car.

For the present visit, I was driving to Denver and I again had meetings downtown. Since I had a good experience previously and I was able to get a weekend rate for my Sunday and Monday meetings that was about 1/3 of the rate for downtown hotels, I decided to try it again, save a few bucks, and not have to mess with Denver traffic (which is not all that bad).

This hotel is a very typical Courtyard, which is good. No complaints. The staff members were friendly and helpful, everything was in good shape and clean, the internet was good and included at no extra charge, etc. I did not use the pool or other facilities so cannot comment on them. Breakfast is not included but there is a small restaurant in the lobby where you can purchase breakfast. There are at least a half dozen sit-down restaurants within 10 minutes or less walk as well as several fast food restaurants within the same distance. The hotel sits far enough away from Arapahoe Road that traffic noise is not an issue and there is minimal traffic on the roads that run next to the hotel. It is a nice quiet setting.

It is about a 10 minute walk to the train station. The neighborhood appears to be good and it is a pleasant walk except for the evening when I got caught in a thundershower. There is also parking at the train station if you prefer not to walk. It is a simple walk but there is minimal signage and it can be a bit confusing your first time. Hint: follow the “Park and Ride” signs. From the hotel, go left (west) on E. Peakview Ave which runs immediately behind the hotel and just follow it around the corner where it becomes S. Yosemite Street which you follow to the very end. At that point, you will see a small underpass to your left. Go under it and Arapahoe station will be in front of you. The tracks are on the opposite side of I-25 and you will have to take the pedestrian overpass over the highway. You can get your ticket at the foot of the stairs from the automated vending machines at the bottom of the stairs on either side of the highway. If you are going downtown, the “quick ticket” option is easiest but you may need exact change, $4 as of June 2013. The machines take credit cards too. If you Google Denver Light Rail, there is a system map and train schedule you can download from the official website. In my limited experience, the trains run reasonably on time. Note that there are two lines that serve the Arapahoe station; one goes to Union Station and one goes to downtown. If you get on the wrong one, it is not a problem as there are a number of stations along the way where you can transfer to a train that goes to the correct location. During weekends and late hours only one line runs through Arapahoe station and you will have to transfer somewhere along the line for downtown destinations. The same is true on the return trip. Coming from downtown, my approach was to take the first outbound train that came along and then at one of the stations that provides “transfers to all lines” I would switch to a train going to Arapahoe station. Sounds complicated but it is not.

If you should happen to use the train to get to this hotel upon your initial arrival, things could be a little confusing when you get to Arapahoe station. Take the pedestrian overpass over I-25 and as you come off the stairs you will see a small underpass a short distance to your right. Go through it and then turn left and walk a very short distance to S. Yosemite St. Go right (south, the only way you can go) and follow this street around the corner where it becomes E Peakview Ave. Continue a couple of blocks and the Courtyard will be on your right. If you get to the stop light, you are going too far. The Courtyard is to your immediate rear and right. As noted before, this street runs on the backside of the hotel and you will need to walk around to the opposite side to get to the front door.

From the time you leave the hotel on foot until the time you get to a downtown destination, it takes about 1 hour; perhaps a bit more or less depending upon how well you time the trains and how often trains are running at the time of day you are riding them. If you are strictly trying to find a place to stay where you can commute to downtown, there are probably some other hotel options closer in that would have a shorter train ride and perhaps more train options. The trains do get full during peak times but I was always able to find a seat without difficulty.

Room Tip: It is a quite neighborhood so you do not need to worry too much about room location with regard to t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stay here every year for the peels salon hair show. The tickets go on sale and my wife and eight friends will be staying at the Hilton. We had pink lipstick on a towel hanging in the shower and an empty water bottle that housekeeping neglected to dispose of. I met my wife for lunch in marriots restaurant between her classes. We were greeted in 10 min, received drinks 15 min later, and then we were totally forgotten. After waiting another 15 min my hungry wife went back to her classes. We are in customer service and the marriot was completely ungrateful for the peels hairs how community. They do not deserve the hair stylist community in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fayetteville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked this hotel stay through hotels.com with a 95% average positive rating from former guests. That rating had changed to 77% by the time i actually checked in. The hotel itself was in a great location and the staff were very accommodating. The lobby was updated so the pics of the lobby online look great but the hallways were dated and the guestrooms were basic. The room itself was clean as well as the laundry facilities (i like to clean clothes prior to my return trip). I did like the fact that my room had a patio and faced the courtyard with easy access to their outdoor living space and indoor pool area. Was hoping for outdoor pool since indoor pools always feel so dirty to me. There is no free breakfast at this hotel which is always a negative for me especially when traveling with 4 children. My problem is not with the hotel per se but with hotels.com as they did not accurately represent this property especially when i requested a room that would accomodate 5 guest but the hotel only has an occupancy max of 4 per room so we were quite cramped. I lost sleep for 3 nights as their were only 2 double beds, no pull out, not enough space for a rollaway. We took this in stride but because of my large sized family i would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Denver Tech Center? Share your experiences!