“Great Food and Entertainment” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 32 Restaurants in Grand Lake
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Wishing you a warm welcome to Winter at the Lake! Carey has changed up the menu with a few new "seasonal items" while keeping many of our local favorites. New this winter are Fish-N-Chips, Buffalo Pasta and Tender Tonahutu Pork. So far a big thumbs up on all three new items! Carey & Kathleen St. Clair (formerly from Caroline's) will be cooking up the winter menu. Greeting you out front this year will be Patrick, Kathy, Jeanie, Greg and Buddie...We are happy to take good care of you, your family and friends. FOR THE TRUE SPIRIT OF THE HOLIDAYS, PLEASE BE SURE TO STOP IN & CHECK OUT CAREY'S HOLIDAY DECORATIONS VOTED: "BEST IN GRAND COUNTY"!! And "BEST STEAKHOUSE" IN GRAND COUNTY BY THE SKY HI NEWS LOCAL "BEST OF " POLL. Please stop by for a hot toddy and a warm bite. We look forward to a fantastic season of winter wonder as the snow keeps falling and our town awakens to the magic of winter! Be sure to get out this season and support your local businesses. Best Wishes for a great new beginning in 2014!
Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food and Entertainment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The food at the Backstreet is very high quality with a good variety of dishes. There was a band there that night on the back patio/lawn that was excellent and it looked like the owner brings in musicians regularly. It got crowded in a hurry and there was some complaining about slow service. From what I saw the wait staff were working their tails off and the bartender pitched in to try to reduce the delays as much as he could. We just relaxed, got our food and drinks in reasonable time, and had a great evening.

Visited July 2014

Grand Junction, Colorado
“Best meal of the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went in July over the 4th holiday. We went in during the day and got a reservation with no problem. We had eaten at a couple of very good places in town and then we're blown away by the greatness of this restaurants food and staff. Everyone in our party left very happy with their meal and overall experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Golden
“Delicious Meal, Delightful Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We returned to Grand Lake after too long an absence and opted to dine at Daven Haven's Backstreet Steakhouse, a past favorite. To our delight we found the food, drink, service and ambience 5 Star.

We were greeted by soft spoken host Greg Barnes, served by Shannon; our drinks were delivered by personable Patrick Barnes. Chef Adam. Who we met in person after our meal, lived up to his gourmand reputation. We had his signature mushroom soup as appetizer and split an order of pan fried trout topped with a remarkable lightly spicy Thai topping; our guest enjoyed pork riblets and a twice baked potato. Our server was prompt, courteous and exacting.

The dining room, separate bar and facilities are beautifully furnished. Our corner table was perfect.
Our only concern was the absence of the owner's signature Jack Daniels Pork Chops from the current menu. Chef Adam is mulling this over and we dream of the return of that Award Winning though rich offering. Regardless we shall return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Worst restaurant we have ever eaten in...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

ABSOLUTE WORST Restaurant meal we have ever been served. We had a party of 10 with reservations for 6PM. When we arrived, we were told we had to wait because they were not ready for us. The dining room appeared to be half full. 20 minutes later we were shown to our table. Drinks and Iced tea were ordered. Iced Tea came out about 5 minutes later - wine took about 10 minutes. The server came back and took our meal orders and we all knew we were in for a long wait since there was a disclaimer on the back of the menu stating if the dining room was full or near capacity, there would be a 45 minute wait.
The server brought the salads to those who had them coming with their meal at the 30 minute mark. When we asked for bread or rolls, we were told that we had to order it and we would be charged for it. We declined for two reasons, first because the prices at the restaurant were rather high and secondly thinking that maybe the food would be arriving shortly. Dead wrong. The food arrived 90 (yes, ninety) minutes after we placed the order. Ridiculous.
One couple was told that they ran out of the size steaks they ordered and had to order the next larger size. I ordered the Southern fried chicken breast along with the "Adult Macaroni and Cheese" . I was served a grilled chicken breast. When I reminded the server that I had ordered the fried chicken, she offered to get one for me but I declined, because I did not want to wait another 30 minutes or more for it to arrive. My brother-in-law had also been told that his steak cut was not available and they told him he could have the next larger cut if he wanted to wait. He ordered a filet, was told that they had fired the wrong steak and he said he would wait. When the plate arrived 10 minutes after everyone else had been served, the steak was a sirloin not a filet. My sister-in-law asked for sour cream 3 times and the server kept forgetting it. We finally flagged down another server who immediately brought it to the table.
My chicken was cold and not fully cooked. I sent it back to the kitchen and she told me it would be removed from the bill. The macaroni and cheese was awful - a huge bowl of bowtie pasta (enough to feed a family of 4) with some melted cheese poured over some of the pasta. Tasteless. At that point, I stopped eating. My husband's steak was so tough, he couldn't chew it and left about half on the plate. He poured a glass of water from the carafe on the table and spit it out because it tasted like fish. Everyone at the table smelled the
water and agreed that it smelled fishy. I flagged the manager (or owner, not sure which) and he denied that the water smelled bad. Denial.
I was not offered a refill on my iced tea although others at the table said they had received a fill up.
We sat at the table for about 30 minutes after we finished eating and my husband finally went to the server and asked for the bill. The server finally brought the bills over and said that the system had 'mixed up all the orders" and she had to re-enter them all. Our bill was incorrect; theyovercharged for the 2 glasses of wine my husband ordered and had not taken off the chicken as promised. It took almost 10 minutes for the server to bring back the corrected bill. As we were leaving, the server was delivering food to the table behind us. In a loud voice that most of the diners could hear, she announced to one person at the table that "Here is your delicious Italian Pasta" and to the gentleman sitting with her she said, " I noticed you were getting chubby around the middle so I have nothing for you". No one at that table thought it was funny. Is this how you treat your customers?
Awful meal. awful service. None of us will ever go back. I have to give a one star because otherwise, this review would not post. I would give minus 5 stars if it were possible. The owners need to work more with their staff instead of printing and hanging Do Not Touch signs all over their antique jukeboxes and Coke machines.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“NOT a 5 star restaurant!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My friend and I went there on Sunday, June 1,2014 because we were told by several people in town that it was the best place to eat. We were greeted by a friendly gentleman and shown to our table. The waitress arrived and I explained about my soy/legume allergy. We were told by her several times that it was a '5-star restaurant'--it was barely a 3. We both had iced tea. The waitress seemed offended that we didn't order alcohol. I know a 5 star restaurant would not serve butter in little plastic containers! I ordered a 7 ounce sirloin steak medium to medium well and a loaded baked potato and a salad w/o dressing (I bring my own). My friend ordered the large dinner salad with grilled chicken. Her dinner (salad) was fantastic! Mine, on the other hand, was a huge disappointment. My steak arrived VERY rare. When I asked her if it could go back to get finished cooking, she again explained that they were a 5 star facility and that that NEVER happens. After several minutes, she came back to the table and said that my steak would be done in a few minutes. We asked for more iced tea. She brought out a carafe and left it on the table. My steak came back so far over well done --the same brown all the way through-- that it was difficult to cut with a steak knife! When I told her that it was over done, she laughed and said 'Oh, well!' and walked away to another table. My friend got her attention as she walked by our table and asked politely if we could get a steak properly cooked for my dinner. She grabbed my plate and stormed off toward the kitchen. Several minutes later, she came out of the kitchen and dropped a plate on the table and said, "this time I'm going to watch you cut it to see if it's to your 'satisfaction'!" The 2nd steak was barely 3/8" thick, but it was cooked medium. But it had an off taste and smell and even worse texture. It was totally inedible. She never came by the table to ask how it was and we couldn't get her attention at all until she came by with the check... I figured I could take the expensive steak to my friend's dog so I asked for a to go box. Even the dog wouldn't eat it! On the plus side, the rosemary boule bread was perfect! I don't know if the waitress was just having a bad day, or if she was ordered to say 5 star facility (5 times during a botched meal is excessive in my opinion) or be fired. I don't know if the cook (can't say chef because a steak is a basic coking skill in the industry) was inexperienced or just having a bad day. I can't say I'd send someone here to have a steak, and it's a steakhouse! Go for the pricey salad--better quality and flavor!

• Visited June 2014