“Great Mountain Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

10480 US Highway 34, Grand Lake, CO 80447-0160   |
Denver
“Great Mountain Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

This is a perfect getaway from the city. Close to all lakes, Rocky Mountain National Park, etc. Great golf and ski packages. I will be back.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

If you are looking for a boxy, standard hotel room with predictable furniture that often exists in a large city with a view of other boxy hotels than you dont want to stay here! However, if you are looking for a clean, family friendly place with breath taking views that will help you experience a vacation that feels like home away from home than I totally recommend this place.

My wife is particular about clean, crisp kind of rooms so I always worry when I book places that appear to have character to them. This place was perfect for both of us and our 10 year old son. We will be back and will likely try out other of their rooms/cabins.

I have to say that as a person who takes care of my own conference center in Iowa I fully understand what really makes Mountain Lakes Lodge a great place to stay -- Its the people who take care of it. The owners of this place are authentic and friendly as the fire ring in the middle of the cabins. You just feel like family. When my son wanted to fish in the stream behind the cabins and I asked if he had any poles to rent he said, "Nope but I have some you can just use . . ." I cant say that we caught many fish but that simple gift of a pole help me make some great memories with my son.

• Liked — Home like feel!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
denver co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

my family (3 young boys!) loved Mountain Lakes Lodge. It is rustic and charming -- the exact type of place you would go if you want to be in the mountains. The fishing was fantastic and literally right out the back door - the kids stood out there all day and coudl run back inside if they needed anything (they were outside witht heir dad and I was able to have some quiet time reading by myslef in the cabin - heaven!)
Each cabin is deocrated with a mountain theme and maintained very well.
Paul & Rebecca (I think are the owners) and their family run the place and were quick to address any of our concerns. All in all, a great value for a family mountain vacation

• Liked — nearness to fishing
  • Disliked — not walking distance to the town of grand lake
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Lafayette, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

Wow! We just went skiing in Granby at Sol Vista. We stayed at these cute little cabins in Grand Lake called Mountain Lakes Lodge. The cabin was so adorable, the decor was unlike any place we have ever stayed. The manager even let us tour the other cabins so we could see all the unique themes in the other cabins. Our room was clean and fun and the hospitality was great. The best part was the free skiing. We received 2 passes to Sol Vista and Winter Park ski resorts for free with the room. That saved my husband and I a lot of money over the 5 days we were there. Great trip, great service, great skiing. You're gonna love it!

• Liked — The free ski passes and the decor.
  • Disliked — I didn't get to stay long enough!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

The "Bear Collector" cabin has a amazing hand peeled log canopy bed (just beautiful). The cabins are all different themes. It's pet friendly and you can fish 40 ft out the back door so it's great. There are beautiful wild flowers everywhere, rustic outdoor furniture and a view of the mountains. It's a special place for us. Especially when you walk outside through the french doors into your own back deck. You have water and the mountains. It also has a fenced in yard -which is great for dog lovers. We even saw elk in the backyard across the canal.

• Liked — It is right next to Rocky Mountain National Park and fishing.
  • Disliked — I wish I'd found it sooner.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Evans, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

The actual room was tolerable, almost decent. The reason for the visit(and the manager knew this) was to celebrate our 1-year Anniversary.The outside was atrocious. There were weeds waist high in the tiny back yard. Tiny river in back with stagnant water. Trailer park across the road. Several propane tanks (5 gal type) lined up near the common area and grills with over grown grass(see photos). No soap or shampoo in bathroom. They will not give you keys until you have paid for your full reservation. If you decide to check out because of the condition of the environment, they will not let you get a refund for the nights you did not stay.

In their defense, it is a decent place to stay if the purpose of your trip is fishing all day and drinking at the local bars at night. Absolutely not a romantic getaway with your wife on your anniversary, unless she and you are fishing buffs; we are not.

• Liked — Room motif
  • Disliked — Everything outside was bad. No A/C. Trailer Park across street. No soap/shampoo.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

We stayed at Mountain Lake over Labor Day weekend this year. Overall, I have to say that we liked it. It allows dogs, which is awesome. Not only do they allow dogs, the cabins all have little fenced yards, so you don't have to constantly keep your pet on a leash. Affordable places that are truly pet friendly are hard to find, so we really enjoyed that. The cabin was very clean. The owners were super nice. Our heater didn't kick on and they came right over and got it lit, no problem. The view out of our back porch was gorgeous and the location was great. It was nice to have a full kitchen and, since there were several "important" football games that weekend, the satelite TV was also appreciated.

A few downsides: These cabins are not really meant for full size people. I am pretty small and thought it was great and cozy. But my 6'3 husband...well, I don't see how he fit into that shower. Also, the couch was a futon bed and could have been a little sturdier. He isn't very fat or anything, but the creaking when he sat on it made us both a little nervous! Also, the pipes are really loud. The first time we heard them banging we thought it was the guy next door doing heavy construction or something. It only seemed to be the shower, though, and not the toilet, so it wasn't a late night issue and didn't bother us too much.

Overall I would recommend staying here if you travel with your dog, because it is very affordable and it is actually really pet friendly, as opposed to places that just tolerate pets. BUT, if you are very fat or very big in general (not being mean, but that shower was SMALL), I would look elsewhere.

• Liked — Very pet friendly
  • Disliked — Teeny tiny shower
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mountain Lakes Lodge? Share your experiences!