“Unsanitary” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Unsanitary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Charlie (sushi chef) did not wash his hands after leaving the men's restroom...whoa...we canceled our order and left ASAP...really...how can u work on a sushi bar? I wonder what goes on that we can't see!!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Ada oklahoma
“good steaks in a chinese restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

the sign says chinese and sushi and steaks, Not your normal combination. I ordered the T bone steak, medium. sides are on a ala carte menu.
Lets start with the steak, it was a full porter house and it was cooked perfectly. tender and juicy. the steak really had alot of good flavor.
the sides I ordered were less than spectacular. the mashed potatoes were cold and lumpy and the asparagus was lightly grilled but really no flavor.
chocolate cake for dessert was fresh from the reefer and very cold so i took it to go, it was ok after i let it get to room temperature.

I would say the shining start is the steak, if they can get the sides and desert fixed then this will be ono of my favorite restaurants in grand Junction

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
MidWest
“This is nothing more than a re-dux of Hereford Steak and Sushi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Top East claims to have new ownership, and everything is seemingly new, but it's really the exact same as before. It's the same people that own Thai Chili & Pho. They are all related somehow. I don't know if they stunk it up with the old place or the tax man got them or what. But it is essentially the same place. They even brag about being a part of "Thai Chili & Pho, Inc." on their menu.

As far as I can tell, this is the exact same restaurant concept/style as the previously owned (by the same Thai Chili-connected folks) Hereford Steak & Sushi, but with an ever so slightly changed menu and a new name. When they were open under the other name, they were constantly changing the menu, so this is nothing new.

I ate there with family on a weeknight in May 2012. The place was not very busy...pretty much dead really. It was around 6pm that we got there. I ordered a 12oz ribeye with mashed potatoes and green beans for 20 bucks. My wife had the pork fried rice. My kids had the grilled cheese kids meal and the chicken tender kids meal.

One thing that clearly sucks about this place is they should serve some sort of bread or finger food to keep patrons busy munching on something while waiting for their appetizer or food to arrive. Several visits back (early on when it was under the previous name), they served a small loaf of bread and some butter. That too disappeared though as they started to cut costs. Since we didn't order an appetizer, the wait for our meal was long and boring. This is something the ownership needs to address.

They also didn't hand out any sort of crayons or something to keep the kids busy, which also was a huge negative to me. Anyone can go on the internet, do a search for free coloring book pages, and print out something for kids to draw on. Buy some cheap crayons at WalMart to keep kids occupied at a virtually no price to the business. No need to spend a bunch of money.....just something to keep the little rugrats busy. This shows the new ownership doesn't care about kids.

My steak was pretty good size, and cooked as ordered. Not by any means a memorable steak, but decent enough. If they could have found a better way to season it, it could have been memorable. The green beans were good and generous. They screwed up and gave me a baked potato instead of mashed potatoes. The girl told me "they gave me a baked potato" like it was someone else's fault, and just kind of put it down on the table, hoping I would just take it. Major low class for a waitperson. She should have not served it to me and fixed the problem. However, based on previous experiences with mediocre and slow service at this restaurant, I chose not to demand she fix the problem, and I told her I would eat it if she would bring me some fixins for the potato. She wound up bringing out a little plate with some wrapped up butter packets and a couple of to-go type sour cream packets. VERY CHEESY for a restaurant of this type. That is something you would see at Wendy's in the drive thru. Come on.

My wife told me her pork fried rice was decent enough. 12 bucks for what she got was a tad bit expensive in my opinion ($9-10 would have been more in line), but not worth getting too upset about. However, when we are talking about spending a few extra dollars here and there, that's where things like bread on the table or more decent baked potato fixins would make me happier. Maybe something for the kids to color on? Are you getting my drift folks? Too many corners being cut here.

The kids meals pretty much sucked. The fries on both plates, although of decent quantity, were very soft and greasy. More like noodles when you try to pick them up than fries. The grill cheese sandwich wasn't cooked right (just an unmelted piece of cheese between toasted bread). But worst of all, the "chicken fingers" were not traditional American chicken nugget or fingers, but rather Chinese sweet and sour chicken greasy breaded type chicken that you would find in some crappy Chinese buffet. If you have a small child who hasn't been on this planet long enough to have tried many foods, trying to convince him/her to eat some foreign appearing oddity such as sweet N sour chicken passed off as chicken fingers is a joke. I couldn't get my kid to eat any of it. Just wasn't gonna happen. This was literally nothing more than sweet N sour chicken without the sauce. Major kids meal fail.

Enough of that. The only other thing I clearly did not like about the kids meals is for the price ($5.50), they should have come with a small kids drink. But drinks were extra.

Again, as mentioned previously with the lack of crayons, etc., this place has no interest in children, which over time will hurt them. They have so far not been able to survive off the hotel crowd on Horizon, and without finding a way to draw in the locals, this latest version of Hereford Steak & Sushi with a new name will not survive either. Might sound like I am hammering the kids aspect too much, but they need to focus on keeping customers. Half hearted and indifferent attempts at children's meals is not the way to do that, especially a restaurant that is supposed to be of higher than average class.

Overall, the service was okay. Although she didn't cross the line of bad service, our waitress came close and was struggling to keep up. I had to flag her down and ask for more water two times, and one of the times, I was without water for about 10 minutes. Considering our waitress only had two tables at the time, and the restaurant was about 95% empty, I can't imagine how poorly she would be with a busier workload.

When all was done, I walked out there paying 51 dollars with the tip. Overall, I want to give this place 2 stars at best for the horrible kids meals and other negatives mentioned above, but I scrounged up a 3 due to the steak and rice being largely decent. I also feel sorry for them and want this place to find a way to survive. The steak and Asian fusion/sushi concept has potential. I just hope their ownership can pull their heads outta their backsides, quit cutting the corners that actually cut quality, and make some changes.

All in all, this is the exact same restaurant as it was with Hereford Steak & Sushi. And although it occasionally has some flashes of brilliance here and there, just like Hereford Steak & Sushu, it is dying a slow death. Its days are numbered unless the ownership makes some philosophy changes.

• Visited May 2012