“A Good Value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Grand Junction
Union Hall, Virginia
“A Good Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

As others have said, this is definitely an older style motel which has been refurbished. The room was spotless as was the bathroom. It had a king bed, a nice wing chair, and a sofa which was great for watching some TV although we could not find any local stations. The bathroom was very small, but also nicely remodeled. I agree with a previous reviewer that the pedestal sink was a problem. They do have a small glass shelf on an adjacent wall but it should have been located above the sink, just under the mirror. There was not towel bar, just a rack for folded towels, but that was just a minor inconvenience. The light fixture in the bathroom had bare compact fluorescent bulbs with no shades but the light they provided was fine. Again a minor item. The continental breakfast was as good or better than I've had in some chain hotels. They offered fresh apples, oranges, and bananas, cold cereal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, toast, bagels, OJ, packaged danishes, and yogurts. The pool was large and looked very nice. It is obvious the owners work hard to keep the place in good shape. The place was not too busy which is probably due to their location which is a bit off the beaten track, but don't let that deter you. While it's certainly not the Four Seasons, for $80 a night it is a real bargain, especially for a short stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed at El Palomino for two days in June 2013. This is an older, 1950s motel which has clearly been refurbished. Room was large with king size bed, large flat screen tv mounted on wall, all furniture was in good shape. Room was cooled by room size AC, which was sorely needed in 100 degree heat. Room and bathroom were spotless; bathroom was good size and only quibble would be that pedestal sink didn't provide enough room to place toiletries. Considering the inexpensive room rate, the fact that the motel offers a continental breakfast was a pleasant surprise, and the breakfast itself was very good. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
South Weber, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here in August 2012 and I should have done this review a long time ago. I apologize for that.

This is an older hotel that is managed by a couple. It has great curb appeal. It's clean on the outside, the pool is well maintained, it's nicely painted. It all looks great until you start breaking things down and looking at details.

It's an older hotel and our room was starting to show its age with the number of holes that had been made in the bathroom for various things that had since been removed. There were several spots that showed caulking that hadn't been repainted. The husband had been in the bathroom but we went to check in and he got all of his tools and left. I am not sure what he was working on. Maybe the room has been renovated since then.

The beds were nice. There were to very large armchairs in the room for relaxing in. The problem came on after we showered the morning after we checked in.

My husband showered first and I noticed when I went in the bathroom to shower that I could see his footprints in gray on the bath mat. My husband doesn't go barefoot so I thought that was odd but I didn't over think it. I showered and started packing to leave and I noticed when I stepped in the bathtub to retrieve my soap and bath gel that I was leaving black foot prints in the tub, and I had just showered!

We had a cooler with us and when my husband took it out to empty the water out in the grass some of the water splashed on the carpet when he was rolling the cooler over the door jamb. I got a towel to soak up the water and the towel came up BLACK. It was so disgusting. The carpet was so dirty that my feet were dirty after walking around the room barefooted.

I don't think I could ever stay here again. It looked good but when you started noticing details it wasn't good at all.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were clean, it's family owned and they were super friendly and helped us find excellent food in the area and even had a wine bottle opener and opened our wine from Colorado wine country so we could enjoy it!! Quiet area. Awesome water pressure. I would definitely stay here every time I'm in Grand Junction!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed one night here and it was a very pleasant experience in June. It is older, but very clean and well maintained. We did use the pool and it was immaculate. The pool had not warmed up quite yet, but it still was nice to cool off in. We met some nice people, just hanging out. The bed (king size) was very comfortable and so were the pillows and sheets. Everything was super clean. There was nice tile in the bathroom, good water pressure and lots of hot water. Free breakfast in the morning had a wide variety. You could make your own waffles, toast bread or bagels and they had hot and cold cereal. There were packaged donuts, muffins and sweet rolls. There were 3 varieties of brewed coffee, orange juice and milk. We walked down to a Mexican restaurant nearby and had a great margarita and appetizer on the patio. It was also very quiet which was important for me, since I'm a light sleeper. We would definitely go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went with TA reviews and chose to stay here on our trip to Grand Junction. There are so many options in this town! The couple that owns El Palomino have given their heart and souls to run this business and it shows. Everything is very clean and tidy and the rooms are a fine size. Yes, there is a bot too much furniture in the room so it makes it a bit hard to maneuver, but that can be easily fixed. They are continuing to add small amenities to the rooms so I assume it will continue to be a well run motel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in May 2013. It's definitely an older motel, but very clean and well maintained. The pool looked immaculate, although we didn't use it because of the weather. Owner was very friendly and more than accommodating with requests for information. Lots of options for breakfast. With a pedestal sink there's no spreading out in the bathroom, but other than that, everything you need is handy - TV, fridge, microwave, hair dryer, etc. This is a great motel for those who like to spend less so they can travel more! We'll definitely stay again at El Palomino whenever in Grand Junction.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Junction Palomino Inn? Share your experiences!